Pre-Game Talk: Rangers @ Sens, Sat Nov 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Top 3 stories going into the Rangers game this Saturday:

1) Cowen sits out practice today (Friday). Watched practice in street clothes. Wier-Ceci and Boro-Wideman practice as the 2nd and 3rd pairs.
2) Rangers are on a 7-game winning streak, this will be one of the hardest games we've played so far this season.
3) Michalek promoted to 1st line with Turris & Stone. Hoffman playing on the 3rd with Pageau & Chiasson.

... discuss.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
If they're breaking up that 3rd line. They should be really putting Hoffman with the 2nd.

Milo - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibby - Ryan
Lazar - Pageau - Chiasson
Puempel - Smith - Neil

Sucks for Puempel, but Hoffman needs to play with scorers. No point in putting him with the grinders.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Quite a gap between #6 and #7 in scoring we have. And most of those Pageau and Michalek points are not even 5-on-5. Need to get some secondary support asap.

Ju8otNh.png

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Cant have any passengers for this one ,the Rags will blowtorch us .If we start out slowly,best 1st period team in the league. Also the best in league when they score first ,cant say iam not nervous:cry:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Why is Hoffman on the third line?

Also, Hammond should start.

Because he finally had a game where he wasnt the best forward on the ice.... Still had two assists though... Cameron clearly doesnt like him.

Thought Puemple really didnt do anything with plenty of opportunity but hey KEEP HIM UP, hoff turned the puck over may as well bury him.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Why is Hoffman on the third line?

Also, Hammond should start.

I assume that Hoffman is back in Cameron's doghouse. Every once in a while, he feels the need to send Hoff a message.

As for Hammond, he has played well recently, no question. Andy is the starter, though, and should be motivated to bounce back from a stinker in Nashville. As a veteran, you have to at least afford him the opportunity to keep his status as the number one guy. Playing Hammond simply ignites a goalie controversy we don't need right now. Play Andy, then come back with Hammond Monday night against the Wings.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Neither Michalek or Chiasson have an even strength goal yet this season and we're nearly at the quarter pole. Putting Hoffman with Pageau and Chiasson is an attempt to balance the scoring a little.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

1) Cowen sits out practice today (Friday). Watched practice in street clothes. Wier-Ceci and Boro-Wideman practice as the 2nd and 3rd pairs.
2) Rangers are on a 7-game winning streak, this will be one of the hardest games we've played so far this season.
3) Michalek promoted to 1st line with Turris & Stone. Hoffman playing on the 3rd with Pageau & Chiasson.

... discuss.

re: 2 - so I'm hearing MUST WIN game?

when I read the other two points my brain shut down

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
Because he finally had a game where he wasnt the best forward on the ice.... Still had two assists though... Cameron clearly doesnt like him.

Thought Puemple really didnt do anything with plenty of opportunity but hey KEEP HIM UP, hoff turned the puck over may as well bury him.

I assume that Hoffman is back in Cameron's doghouse. Every once in a while, he feels the need to send Hoff a message.

As for Hammond, he has played well recently, no question. Andy is the starter, though, and should be motivated to bounce back from a stinker in Nashville. As a veteran, you have to at least afford him the opportunity to keep his status as the number one guy. Playing Hammond simply ignites a goalie controversy we don't need right now. Play Andy, then come back with Hammond Monday night against the Wings.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere it had something to do with match-ups.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

... discuss.

Ok, so the complaint with Hoffman in the past was his commitment defensively. If we are to presume tha Cameron has him in the doghouse, and that's why he was moved to the third line, defensive play is likely the culprit.

However, the Pageau line has been our go to shutdown line of late. He takes 45% of all of his draws in the DZ and only 16% in the OZ (the rest in the NZ) which is some pretty insane deployment. I highly doubt that we move a guy to that line because he's disapointed defensively.

I think this might be about rewarding Chiasson and Pageau with an elite winger, not to mention Michalek with some time on the top line. The end result is hopefully 3 lines that can scare the opposition.

Hoffman creates offense on his own. Chiasson is a demon on the boards, and Pageau just harrasses the opposition non stop. Might make for a frustrating line to play against.

There's my devils advocate post of the day.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
I hope Cowen is good to go, liked the D pairings A LOT better last night even though we gave up many shots. Felt refreshing to not see 46 get pushed off the puck like a baby and chase the cycle all game long with his awful skating. Cowen has been good this year especially at escaping the forecheck and zone exits through the middle I really like his game. Night and day compared to last year, not perfect but still, a lot better than 46. Boro was better on left side, what a surprise, and Wideman gave us a good option of puck moving he made some nice stretch passes.

I don't get the Hoffman thing though in no way Puempel should be ahead of him in the line-up, I think Cameron will get him back where he belongs tomorrow, especially against the Rangers ...

I hope Anderson bounce back tomorrow if he starts, he's so hot and cold it's annoying cause when he's on he's a top 10 goalie in this league but when he's off he's terrible. Team D needs to support him better though

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
All I will say is Hoffman dive-poking-pass to Wideman for the goal was a beauty

2 assists yesterday

Cant ask for more

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Ok, so the complaint with Hoffman in the past was his commitment defensively. If we are to presume tha Cameron has him in the doghouse, and that's why he was moved to the third line, defensive play is likely the culprit.

However, the Pageau line has been our go to shutdown line of late. He takes 45% of all of his draws in the DZ and only 16% in the OZ (the rest in the NZ) which is some pretty insane deployment. I highly doubt that we move a guy to that line because he's disapointed defensively.

I think this might be about rewarding Chiasson and Pageau with an elite winger, not to mention Michalek with some time on the top line. The end result is hopefully 3 lines that can scare the opposition.

Hoffman creates offense on his own. Chiasson is a demon on the boards, and Pageau just harrasses the opposition non stop. Might make for a frustrating line to play against.

Yeah, I think this it, too. Hoffman, in terms of chance production, kind of reminds me of Kessel. Sure, he benefits from playing with good/great players, but he can still put up the numbers on his own if he needs too.

That said, this could be a really cool line. Pageau and Chia are really good at getting the puck from the boards/opposition. Hoffman is really good at being somewhere that the puck will likely go. Not only that, but the top line / pairing will likely be vs. Stone/Turris, so the 2nd best group will have to decide if they want to cover Zib/Ryan or Hoffman.

Didn't we used to let Havlat run wild some games and he would score hattricks? Let's hope for the same with Hoffy!

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Hoffman was dropped down because he had his weakest game of the year. He was constantly turning the puck over. I guess his leash is very short.

I don't get why Puempel is still there. Maybe they want to give him a couple of games to get going, but he was just "meh" last game.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, I think this it, too. Hoffman, in terms of chance production, kind of reminds me of Kessel. Sure, he benefits from playing with good/great players, but he can still put up the numbers on his own if he needs too.

That said, this could be a really cool line. Pageau and Chia are really good at getting the puck from the boards/opposition. Hoffman is really good at being somewhere that the puck will likely go. Not only that, but the top line / pairing will likely be vs. Stone/Turris, so the 2nd best group will have to decide if they want to cover Zib/Ryan or Hoffman.

Didn't we used to let Havlat run wild some games and he would score hattricks? Let's hope for the same with Hoffy!

Yep. This setup is reminiscent of when Alfie, Hossa, and Havlat all played on different lines. Who do you cover when Stone, Ryan, and Hoffman are all on different lines?

Obviously, they'll focus on Turris and Stone first, but after that what do you do.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012

Devil's advocate or no, I think this is likely correct. Either way, good post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille