Rangers Season Ticket Holders: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
If there was no tiered pricing and the schedule was the same it would feel a lot more painful.
Not for those who know what they are doing. However, those that think they are ticket brokers and want to squeeze every dollar out of the games, will be disappointed. Not saying you are in this boat, but it seems like everyone wants the tiered price for all games above their average and the average price or "face value to them" for all games under their average. Bottom line, they are GIVING AWAY TICKETS. That should not happen.

Didn't hurt me, though. Last night was a game none of my regulars took. Sold on exchange for $73 each (my payment). My cost was $58, so I guess with that whopping $30 profit, I can now buy a bigger house. Yup, the $30 really going to have an impact of my finances! And, if they were priced at $89 (my average or "face value to me") each, I still would have easily got $100.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I'm not sure what you mean, I went to the game. What I said has nothing to do with that. There were a lot of empty seats. October games are always slow and there are 10 home games 7 of which are mid-week. That's a lot of extra supply with limited demand. But at least you're able to sell your games.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I'm not sure what you mean, I went to the game. What I said has nothing to do with that. There were a lot of empty seats. October games are always slow and there are 10 home games 7 of which are mid-week. That's a lot of extra supply with limited demand. But at least you're able to sell your games.

It's interesting because the box office pricing wasn't too far off from STH variable face either and they still couldn't sell them. The high demand games as of now, granted holiday gift purchasing hasn't occurred yet, are going for nowhere near what they used to. I think between the increase in prices, amount of inventory taken back by the team, and possible increase of people listing more games to make money back; that's what's killing prices. Regardless of if they sell out though, MSG is still making more than they have in the past based on the increase in prices which is all they care about.

419forever

Mar 14, 2008
NJ
It's MSG releasing inventory closer to game date at dynamic prices which just so happen to be right in line with the levels at which STH and resellers are listing and selling tickets.

When the Rangers suck again, they'll come crawling back looking for full STH with some kind of 'advantage'.

I'm still disgusted at the taste in my mouth from the 25%+ increase extortion they pulled with playoff tickets last year.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
It's MSG releasing inventory closer to game date at dynamic prices which just so happen to be right in line with the levels at which STH and resellers are listing and selling tickets.

When the Rangers suck again, they'll come crawling back looking for full STH with some kind of 'advantage'.

I'm still disgusted at the taste in my mouth from the 25%+ increase extortion they pulled with playoff tickets last year.

Yup. when I was at opening night, they honored some STHs on the ice.

I was surprised none of those picked had tenure more than 7 or 8 years. I think they like the shorter tenured STHs (not as good seats, pay more and don't know better)

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
So, the 2nd cheapest tier and they are giving away tickets? This is the trickle down effect of the tiered pricing. People get turned off by the exhorbitant prices on the popular games and then don't want to bother with the cheap games. Happened with the Mets for years.

As we know, the 200s row 14 is the last row of the price cutoff. Row 15 is considerably cheaper than row 14. Those were half seasons that did not sell, because of the increased inventory of half seasons above row 15. You can sell the gallery tickets at a premium because of the advantages (TVs, extra leg room) and rows 3-7 are worth the closer view. It starts getting negligible around rows 8-10 and 11-14 are not worth it at all.

I've been telling people the entire time, they screwed themselves with the tier system (this is a big advantage for us) and by removing season tickets in the upper seats. Lowering the price for STH for the lesser games allowed them to resell easier. They assumed people would just go to them, but people will sell for slightly less than face instead of going to the game when they were a flat price.

I can tell you this, if my tickets were $112 per for last night, I'm going because I would have gotten that price for both tickets. Instead, they were $73 and I sold them for slightly below face, because it's way less of a loss. It can be made up by selling a few November games that are going higher right now (Boston and Columbus for example). That would remove tickets from the secondary market and if people wanted to go, would be more likely to pay for tickets through the team itself.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

There's obviously the player holds and such that come out the day of or day before but there's other drops that are further in advance. Just pull up the maps for Saturday v. NJD and Tuesday v. Pitt. There are entire ROWS of seats available all over the building. Those games won't be legitimate sell outs and at this rate, none of the games this month will be sell outs.

Reactions: li7039

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
As we know, the 200s row 14 is the last row of the price cutoff. Row 15 is considerably cheaper than row 14. Those were half seasons that did not sell, because of the increased inventory of half seasons above row 15. You can sell the gallery tickets at a premium because of the advantages (TVs, extra leg room) and rows 3-7 are worth the closer view. It starts getting negligible around rows 8-10 and 11-14 are not worth it at all.

I've been telling people the entire time, they screwed themselves with the tier system (this is a big advantage for us) and by removing season tickets in the upper seats. Lowering the price for STH for the lesser games allowed them to resell easier. They assumed people would just go to them, but people will sell for slightly less than face instead of going to the game when they were a flat price.

I can tell you this, if my tickets were $112 per for last night, I'm going because I would have gotten that price for both tickets. Instead, they were $73 and I sold them for slightly below face, because it's way less of a loss. It can be made up by selling a few November games that are going higher right now (Boston and Columbus for example). That would remove tickets from the secondary market and if people wanted to go, would be more likely to pay for tickets through the team itself.

The tier system is a bigger advantage for them if anything. In your example, it doesn't really matter what face is if you're selling both games. Your net payout will be the same for both games regardless of the face. It just looks like you're taking a bigger loss on the Blues game but for the premium games (Christmas) you'd be making more compared to now where you'll be making less. For them, now they can flex those prices at the box office as far low as they can go (I saw $28 upper blues through the team for last night's game) and move them as compared to the past where they couldn't flex as low without backlash from the fans.

Bigger issue is there's just so much inventory out there now compared to the past since a lot of people didn't renew and they took back tickets.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Yup. when I was at opening night, they honored some STHs on the ice.

I was surprised none of those picked had tenure more than 7 or 8 years. I think they like the shorter tenured STHs (not as good seats, pay more and don't know better)
Are you sure? I could swear I remember them announcing people from each tenure group.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
For them, now they can flex those prices at the box office as far low as they can go (I saw $28 upper blues through the team for last night's game) and move them as compared to the past where they couldn't flex as low without backlash from the fans.

Just wondering around what time did that happen? I wasn't monitoring the market and wasn't sure how early that happened. Good to know when buying last minute tickets for a game that it might actually be cheaper to go through the team itself.

tailgunner

Jan 8, 2008
the mass exodus is slowly beginning...after last years playoff tickets debacle and extortion from MSG, I thankfully got out and cancelled my season tickets...and now that the teams stinks the current STH's are going to have a really tough time trying to unload tickets at such ridiculous prices. Good luck to all and be careful when renewal time comes

Reactions: NYRA15

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
the mass exodus is slowly beginning...after last years playoff tickets debacle and extortion from MSG, I thankfully got out and cancelled my season tickets...and now that the teams stinks the current STH's are going to have a really tough time trying to unload tickets at such ridiculous prices. Good luck to all and be careful when renewal time comes

I mostly agree. We'll see how the holiday buying goes this year after the October games are gone. If the team continues its lackluster play, not sure buying will be as brisk especially now that the Yankees are good again adding competition.

With variable pricing, the profits for those premium games will be less and thus less cushion for losses on other games.

Then if they don't make the playoffs......

But if you have good locations like Blue seats and upper center on the good part of the price breaks, you should be ok.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Just wondering around what time did that happen? I wasn't monitoring the market and wasn't sure how early that happened. Good to know when buying last minute tickets for a game that it might actually be cheaper to go through the team itself.

I noticed the last flex downwards happen Monday morning. That's when the $28 obstructed blues and $44 full view blues popped up. The $28 ones didn't last too long (they had nearly entire rows up there too) and the $44 pairs were up there for most of the day. There were still $44 singles up until two hours before puck drop last night.

It seems like they're not really flexing prices down until about a week before puck drop and then from there it's a free fall. I saw 225 row 14 go from $195 to $164 to $152 to $135 for opening night all within a week until they were sold.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

I agree they have treated us season subscribers horribly. I told as much to my rep when I have the occasion to speak with him...and he doesn't even challenge me. Everyone knows the organization doesn't give a crap about us.

I disagree that the team stinks, but that's best discussed in a different thread. ;)

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
And obviously if you're going to buy from the Rangers, go walk up to the window at MSG and avoid getting ráped on ticketmaster fees

You mean if I see a blue dot, I can go to the box office and buy those seats without the TM fees? I didn't know that

NYRA15

Jun 8, 2015
Long Island
I received an email last month (maybe longer) stating that my rep was leaving and that a new rep would contact within the next few days. It's been over a month, nobody has called me. Fantastic customer service. I have been a half STH for 3 years and I have no idea who my rep currently is, nor do I really care at this point anymore.

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
My thoughts as a 25 year subscriber with close center ice seats upstairs.

The exhibitions were priced at $136. Next year I'll give the seats to charity (the writeoff is the same value as the price I can sell the exhibs for). The games sell for the same price they sold for when my seasons were priced @ $100 / per. Loss $250 for the exhibs after partner split. Losses are coming from my pocket.

My partner took half the games this season. Her decided late. Thus I have only been trying to sell games since the 2nd week in Sept. Too late?

Sale - opening game- $50 per seat less per tix than prion years. Disappointing? Yes. Coming from my pocket.

Sold his St Louis game - for tiered price ($100 gross).

Sold my Devils game-- Sat night. (10% less than tiered price.). Sat night??? I guess it's OCT?

Oct are always tough sales.

My guess I'll lose a couple hundred on my half the season through year end assuming the team is competitive throughout.

First year since I started that I expect to lose money in the regs.

Most of the losses are resulting from selling fees so from the Gardens perspective the seats are priced right. From Msg's perspective if I lose 10% (selling fees) then the seats are priced correctly? In truth, I would say my seats are in the top 20% in terms of value so I'm hoping I'm the only one who has had bad timing?

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
My thoughts as a 25 year subscriber with close center ice seats upstairs.

The exhibitions were priced at $136. Next year I'll give the seats to charity (the writeoff is the same value as the price I can sell the exhibs for). The games sell for the same price they sold for when my seasons were priced @ $100 / per. Loss $250 for the exhibs after partner split. Losses are coming from my pocket.

My partner took half the games this season. Her decided late. Thus I have only been trying to sell games since the 2nd week in Sept. Too late?

Sale - opening game- $50 per seat less per tix than prion years. Disappointing? Yes. Coming from my pocket.

Sold his St Louis game - for tiered price ($100 gross).

Sold my Devils game-- Sat night. (10% less than tiered price.). Sat night??? I guess it's OCT?

Oct are always tough sales.

My guess I'll lose a couple hundred on my half season through year end assuming the team is competitive throughout.

First year since I started that I expect to lose money in the regs.

Most of the losses are resulting from selling fees so from the Gardens perspective the seats are priced right. From Msg's perspective if I lose 10% (selling fees) then the seats are priced correctly? In truth, I would say my seats are in the top 20% in terms of value so I'm hoping I'm the only one who has had bad timing?

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
I noticed the last flex downwards happen Monday morning. That's when the $28 obstructed blues and $44 full view blues popped up. The $28 ones didn't last too long (they had nearly entire rows up there too) and the $44 pairs were up there for most of the day. There were still $44 singles up until two hours before puck drop last night.

It seems like they're not really flexing prices down until about a week before puck drop and then from there it's a free fall. I saw 225 row 14 go from $195 to $164 to $152 to $135 for opening night all within a week until they were sold.

I noticed for the Devils game this Saturday, they lowered prices now by a few bucks from this morning.

Also, a tweet that new tickets been released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad