Rangers Season Ticket Holders: Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
In previous years, it looked like a legit path to a full season subscription. Now, not so much. With the amount of fulls changed to halves and minis, I don't know if we'll ever get there. It's to the point where I'm thinking about moving on from them if there is that big of a price increase next year. at $112 average right now for upper 200s barstools, we'll see what it looks like at the end of the season.

If I can get these as full seasons, it'll be worth it, but otherwise it'll be rough to break even on games I cannot attend.

We'll see if they change course and offer more full seasons after the season (or at the very least keep the non renewals in the pool) but I just don't get the impression they will especially based on that article they put out. They're after every dime they can squeeze out.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
its more the 10% extra charge than carrying the balance

I'm a yankees STH and they did this for this year's playoffs.

If you renew, you will get the "preferred" prices. If you don't you will pay "regular" prices which are higher.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
I'm a yankees STH and they did this for this year's playoffs.

If you renew, you will get the "preferred" prices. If you don't you will pay "regular" prices which are higher.
A friend of mine got the Jim Beams on a 10 year contract and didn't renew... and they jacked up his price.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
We'll see if they change course and offer more full seasons after the season (or at the very least keep the non renewals in the pool) but I just don't get the impression they will especially based on that article they put out. They're after every dime they can squeeze out.
When the Yankees realized they pretty much drove away their STH, they were begging people to come back. It will happen here too.

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
welp if they don't make the playoffs I guess the silver lining is no price increase next year, right? oye

No price increase? Yay. that'll punish MSG!

Seriously, after 25 years, I am considering giving up the seats. Maybe if the team has a poor season that'll give me the incentive to drop the seats.? The price ($136/per) is no longer a "bargain". I need roughly $150 per seat to break even. In the early rounds of the playoffs, home games 1 &2 are basically a push. The season are now a push at best. Thus I am left with supporting the seasons for games 5- 7's and the Eastern finals and the SCF rounds.

The decision not to renew is more complicated the better one's seat location. A new subscriber can give up their seats and pick up relatively similar seats should they change his/her mind. The better locations probably could never be replaced. Thus, I keep putting off the decision until I'm sure.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013

Seriously, after 25 years, I am considering giving up the seats. Maybe if the team has a poor season that'll give me the incentive to drop the seats.? The price ($136/per) is no longer a "bargain". I need roughly $150 per seat to break even. In the early rounds of the playoffs, home games 1 &2 are basically a push. The season are now a push at best. Thus I am left with supporting the seasons for games 5- 7's and the Eastern finals and the SCF rounds.

The decision not to renew is more complicated the better one's seat location. A new subscriber can give up their seats and pick up relatively similar seats should they change his/her mind. The better locations probably could never be replaced. Thus, I keep putting off the decision until I'm sure.
Where are your seats?
Do you remember what the 20 year tenure gift was?

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
When the Yankees realized they pretty much drove away their STH, they were begging people to come back. It will happen here too.

Hope no price increase, this is pathetic, I can't even sell my tickets at face value to see the Stanley Cup Champions. I am in center ice in 211 and no one wants to go to the game cause the prices are way to high now.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
On a slightly less aggravating note: So I got that email about the steak sandwiches and really wanted to try one....there was a line, but I did not have high expectations for the game so I figured I could wait a bit...and wait....and wait, lol then I realize the ONE cash register is broken! and all the people behind the counter don't know what to do....and there's about 2 dozen steak sandwiches just sitting there, ready to go. And No one can buy them! Additional aggravation trying to figure out the stupid app to dig up my STH "card" so I could get a discount on an overpriced sandwich. But it didn't matter, I left and went to Hill Country for another overpriced sandwich.

For the record: None of the new sandwiches can top the old Prime Rib sandwich. It was the best and always worth the wait.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
On a slightly less aggravating note: So I got that email about the steak sandwiches and really wanted to try one....there was a line, but I did not have high expectations for the game so I figured I could wait a bit...and wait....and wait, lol then I realize the ONE cash register is broken! and all the people behind the counter don't know what to do....and there's about 2 dozen steak sandwiches just sitting there, ready to go. And No one can buy them! Additional aggravation trying to figure out the stupid app to dig up my STH "card" so I could get a discount on an overpriced sandwich. But it didn't matter, I left and went to Hill Country for another overpriced sandwich.

For the record: None of the new sandwiches can top the old Prime Rib sandwich. It was the best and always worth the wait.

I had one last night and it was good but like you said it's not as good as the old PR sandwich. That the best with the Au Jus.

I thought you only get the STH card discount for team store. It's good for food too??

Last night they gave you 30% off for food with a Chase card.

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
Where are your seats?
Do you remember what the 20 year tenure gift was?

Sec 210 middle of row 2.

20 year gift?

I can't remember. Probably a lucite plaque or something like that?

Now, with the way the Rangers are playing they should give out doormats.

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
I had one last night and it was good but like you said it's not as good as the old PR sandwich. That the best with the Au Jus.

I thought you only get the STH card discount for team store. It's good for food too??

Last night they gave you 30% off for food with a Chase card.

There was an advertised special of 10% off on the Palmer steak sandwich in an email. I don't think it applied to any other food. Clearly the Chase card was a better deal.

McD27

Jul 11, 2013

To be fair, many of us made a lot of money on games we sold for the 2014 SCF and 2015 conf final runs. If you count those profits, I think many of us are still ahead overall even with current or future losses. MSG no doubt saw that and wanted those profits for themselves and reacted by raising prices massively.

MSG never promised that STHs will never lose money.

The markets will adjust over time (hopefully).

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
Sec 210 middle of row 2.

20 year gift?

I can't remember. Probably a lucite plaque or something like that?

Now, with the way the Rangers are playing they should give out doormats.
Those are really tough to give up. You should find someone on here (or elsewhere) that is willing to take your seats for a few years. If you give those up, you'll never get them back unless they are god awful and even then there will be people ahead of you.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Hope no price increase, this is pathetic, I can't even sell my tickets at face value to see the Stanley Cup Champions. I am in center ice in 211 and no one wants to go to the game cause the prices are way to high now.

Yup, same here. I'm losing money on every game so far this season. Dead center ice as well. Nobody wants to go see a garbage team for outrageous prices(MSG prices).

McD27

Jul 11, 2013
Those are really tough to give up. You should find someone on here (or elsewhere) that is willing to take your seats for a few years. If you give those up, you'll never get them back unless they are god awful and even then there will be people ahead of you.

why do you need to get them back if you can get the same or better seats pretty much every game for less? (assumption is MSG will not leave anything on the bone)

there are couple of posters above that have even more center seats and can't sell for face vs the Pens.

What Itrangerfan has is great for view but may not be for value. If MSG price those great view seats at prices that an average will not pay then essentially Itrangerfan is being scalped by MSG to pay a premium above market for those great seats.

Is it worth it? To each is his or her own.

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
why do you need to get them back if you can get the same or better seats pretty much every game for less? (assumption is MSG will not leave anything on the bone)

there are couple of posters above that have even more center seats and can't sell for face vs the Pens.

What Itrangerfan has is great for view but may not be for value. If MSG price those great view seats at prices that an average will not pay then essentially Itrangerfan is being scalped by MSG to pay a premium above market for those great seats.

Is it worth it? To each is his or her own.
I don't want to mislead anyone. Maintaining my seats is not a difficult situation for me. I am projecting to the future wondering whether it's worth the effort if the team should spend a decade in limbo. This year, I sold half the games to my partner.
I sold the Montreal game for $10 under face and received $15 over face for Pittsburgh. After fees it's a small loss but from MSG's perspective both games were priced right. In addition these were two October games with the Yankees playing.

I am projecting that my $136 seats become $145 then $165 seats in future years. MSG knows every sale on every ticket sold in the public market place. If you are still making decent money on your seasons then don't worry. MSG will fix that problem shortly.

The answer is... at the current price point, my losses should be relatively small if the team have an ok season. Somewhat larger if we truly are looking at a poor team. This year, I have little issues with the seats as I now only have 12 games in hand. I'm comfortable. My whining and concern is about attempting to understand when the point is reached that I have overpriced tickets to see an under performing team? I have built up 25 years of loyalty in order to get my location. My challenge is to understand when maintaining the location no longer makes sense from a cost issue.
My gut says we're not there yet but getting closer everyday.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
I was on the phone with my rep. on Friday as I called him to RSVP for the Rangers Jeopardy team event on the 13th when our conversation drifted into the poor resale market. My seats are in the upper bowl lower half so not great but not bad. I happen to have 6 seats on the aisle. I mentioned to my rep. that the resale market for this past Saturday's game against the Devils was a little soft and he surprised me by telling me that there are 6 other sets of 6 in my section and 4 of them post every game for sale including the 6 right next to mine and 6 two rows in front of mine. I was told that this is the 3rd year MSG is monitoring every ticket listed for sale not just the ones on TicketExchange. It was explained that they have computer software that easily tracks these tickets . I was also told that a decent amount of STH's added extra seats to their account in the past several seasons but not next to each and some added singles. The resale market is totally saturated and MSG not only knows this but is tracking everything that is listed. I wonder how many STH's for a variety of reasons just keep their tickets to just sell them and don't either bother going to more than a handful of games. I know that 10 early home games are tough when the team is off to a slow start but I personally think that the oversaturation of tickets available have more of an impact that the teams performance reference the resale market.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I was on the phone with my rep. on Friday as I called him to RSVP for the Rangers Jeopardy team event on the 13th when our conversation drifted into the poor resale market. My seats are in the upper bowl lower half so not great but not bad. I happen to have 6 seats on the aisle. I mentioned to my rep. that the resale market for this past Saturday's game against the Devils was a little soft and he surprised me by telling me that there are 6 other sets of 6 in my section and 4 of them post every game for sale including the 6 right next to mine and 6 two rows in front of mine. I was told that this is the 3rd year MSG is monitoring every ticket listed for sale not just the ones on TicketExchange. It was explained that they have computer software that easily tracks these tickets . I was also told that a decent amount of STH's added extra seats to their account in the past several seasons but not next to each and some added singles. The resale market is totally saturated and MSG not only knows this but is tracking everything that is listed. I wonder how many STH's for a variety of reasons just keep their tickets to just sell them and don't either bother going to more than a handful of games. I know that 10 early home games are tough when the team is off to a slow start but I personally think that the oversaturation of tickets available have more of an impact that the teams performance reference the resale market.

Person next to me I know is one that sells every game. I've seen them over the past 5 seasons maybe 4 or 5 games. I've heard him openly talk about selling the entire season and maybe go to a game or two. I'm sure there's quite a few that do the same.

Reactions: dstoffa

BigBlueAndRed

Apr 15, 2012
Person next to me I know is one that sells every game. I've seen them over the past 5 seasons maybe 4 or 5 games. I've heard him openly talk about selling the entire season and maybe go to a game or two. I'm sure there's quite a few that do the same.

This can't be sustainable forever. There has to be a tipping point, the team regressing back to normal if nothing else?

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010

That's my MO.

I was 39 when I first bought the tix. We went to almost every game.

Today I am 64. Maybe I attend half a dozen games / yr.
This can't be sustainable forever. There has to be a tipping point, the team regressing back to normal if nothing else?

Exactly.

The monitoring of sales prices is giving excellent feedback to MSG as to how much to charge for next season.
If a season tix holder can make decent money (without playoffs) then MSG is charging too little for those seats. Sooner than later, the teams play , the market price, and or a turn down in the economy will eliminate any margins for the holders. Sure money will be made on some playoff games or the team surprises and the tix become red hot, for a span but in return holders must be willing to carry the seats through some poor times . From my perspective, the no risk carry that I had for 25 years is coming to an end.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
That's my MO.

I was 39 when I first bought the tix. We went to almost every game.

Today I am 64. Maybe I attend half a dozen games / yr.

Exactly.

The monitoring of sales prices is giving excellent feedback to MSG as to how much to charge for next season.
If a season tix holder can make decent money (without playoffs) then MSG is charging too little for those seats. Sooner than later, the teams play , the market price, and or a turn down in the economy will eliminate any margins for the holders. Sure money will be made on some playoff games or the team surprises and the tix become red hot, for a span but in return holders must be willing to carry the seats through some poor times . From my perspective, the no risk carry that I had for 25 years is coming to an end.

Priorities change for people as life goes on and prices change. Personally speaking, I'll go to about 15-20 during the regular season at MSG. It would be more if prices were cheaper. Out of those games though, I'm only attending 12 of those with my tickets as of now. I just can't justify the price for my seats for more games and then finding people to go with. For the other games, I'll sit elsewhere for a variety of reasons such as getting a different perspective, cheaper tickets, getting tickets through work, wanting to sit with a specific friend, etc. But in terms of what I use from my ticket package personally, the number I keep for my own use dwindles by the year. This year is 12, the year prior was 15, just about 3-4 seasons ago it was between 20 and 25.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

I think we're kind of hitting equilibrium now. There's no doubt some areas where there's still profitability on the tickets but even those the margins have shrunk considerably. For a lot of people keeping their tickets, they were using the profits to help justify the cost of what they used. Now that those profits are gone and they're potentially taking losses not including what it costs them, is it worth it to keep those tickets? And as people non renew and they break these tickets up to sell for minis and halfs, that's less people to sell tickets to. Prices go up, more inventory, and less demand and we're finally beginning to hit that point. The Knicks are having trouble selling tickets at what's the equivalent of 13-14 Rangers pricing for plans. What happens to Rangers tickets if they ever go into the shitter at the current pricing?

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013

Me, too. Whenever I am at a game, I typically ask my neighbors if they "own" the seats. They say, "No." There are / were many pairs near me that were always sold...

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Still can't sell my center ice seats for tomorrow. Face is 125 and i'm down to 101 on stub hub, after they take there chunk it's around 88...unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad