Confirmed with Link: Rangers re-sign Henrik Lundqvist [7 years, $59.5M, $8.5M AAV, Full NMC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Everyone who says Lundqvist didn't give us a hometown discount has no clue what they are talking about. Look at what Kane, Toews and now Subban have gotten.

You assume that RFA salaries are "fair" because that's what benefits you as a fan. Never mind that it's a regulation that goes against the free market, which is what the UFAs get. Every time people use the word "fair", they mean "beneficial to me."

But UFAs get more than RFAs. Considering how much time you spend following hockey, you should know that by now, and yet every time it's the same thing, with claims that UFAs should be getting no more than RFAs. Lundqvist would've gotten $10+ on an open market. You don't need every team to agree on his value, you just need one team to want to get him without giving up assets that is willing to go above and beyond what the other 29 teams think is fair. I'm certain someone like Edmonton would offer him over $10 annually.

Hank gave us a discount, and a big one at that.

JeremyNYR

Feb 1, 2012
Everyone who says Lundqvist didn't give us a hometown discount has no clue what they are talking about. Look at what Kane, Toews and now Subban have gotten.

You assume that RFA salaries are "fair" because that's what benefits you as a fan. Never mind that it's a regulation that goes against the free market, which is what the UFAs get. Every time people use the word "fair", they mean "beneficial to me."

But UFAs get more than RFAs. Considering how much time you spend following hockey, you should know that by now, and yet every time it's the same thing, with claims that UFAs should be getting no more than RFAs. Lundqvist would've gotten $10+ on an open market. You don't need every team to agree on his value, you just need one team to want to get him without giving up assets that is willing to go above and beyond what the other 29 teams think is fair. I'm certain someone like Edmonton would offer him over $10 annually.

I don't disagree with your opinion, but I don't really understand your motivation for coming in and chastising people either, especially when the last post in this thread was 7+ months ago.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't disagree with your opinion, but I don't really understand your motivation for coming in and chastising people either, especially when the last post in this thread was 7+ months ago.

I'd imagine it's because other big-ticket UFAs from the same class are being signed right now, many for far more than Hank signed for, which was an amount thought to be a burden because it was so big not long ago.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I'd imagine it's because other big-ticket UFAs from the same class are being signed right now, many for far more than Hank signed for, which was an amount thought to be a burden because it was so big not long ago.

I think that Subban deal is way too rich, but judging from the reaction on the Habs board I'm in the distinct minority on that one

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY

He wanted to be here in New York. It was never about going somewhere else for more money. He WANTS to be here in New York. He's the highest paid goalie in the league, and playing in the city he wants to. Simple as that.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
He wanted to be here in New York. It was never about going somewhere else for more money. He WANTS to be here in New York. He's the highest paid goalie in the league, and playing in the city he wants to. Simple as that.

And that is the reason why he gave us the hometown discount. It doesn't mean he didn't give one to us, it just gives a reason why he did so. I'm certain someone would've given him more than what Subban got, goalie or not.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
And that is the reason why he gave us the hometown discount. It doesn't mean he didn't give one to us, it just gives a reason why he did so. I'm certain someone would've given him more than what Subban got, goalie or not.

And Subban would have gotten far more on the market himself. Just because you don't squeeze out every possible dollar you can get doesn't mean you took a discount.

And like Inferno said, goalies always get paid less than position players.

surf

Wheres the Reggae?
Oct 2, 2002
sea bright nj
Are you saying PK gets 10M on open market? His 9m is already 2M overpayment

And Subban would have gotten far more on the market himself. Just because you don't squeeze out every possible dollar you can get doesn't mean you took a discount.

And like Inferno said, goalies always get paid less than position players.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
We don't need a bump from over six months ago to say "I told you so." Please use our existing Lundqvist thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad