Confirmed with Link: Rangers re-sign Henrik Lundqvist [7 years, $59.5M, $8.5M AAV, Full NMC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
why should hank have given a discount? if anything over the course of hanks career sather has showed him he has no idea what the **** he is doing with the extra cap space he gets. i would rather overpay hank by a couple million than sign cally and girardi to drury and redden deals.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
why should hank have given a discount? if anything over the course of hanks career sather has showed him he has no idea what the **** he is doing with the extra cap space he gets. i would rather overpay hank by a couple million than sign cally and girardi to drury and redden deals.

I'm not really saying he SHOULD have, but it would've been nice. Marty has done it a couple times.

It just needs to be noted that he got the most that he can. It will always be in the back of my mind when he talks about winning in NY.

I love Hank and I'm thrilled he will be a Ranger for life and I agree with your comments about Cally and Girardi.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Dreger tweeted salary cap expected to be 71 million next year.

Hrm. Perspective:

8.5 million is 11.97% of 71 million. Okay.
6.875 million is 10.912% of 63 million on the last year of a contract. Hrm
6.875 is 13.67% of 50.3 million when he signed the contract in 2008-09

I don't get what you people are *****ing about. The cap is going to keep going up, his % of that cap space is going to go down over the life of the contract, and it's starting at a lower % than his last contract. Essentially, he's signing for less money as a % of the cap and no one *****ed about his contract in 2008-09. I don't get it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Dreger tweeted salary cap expected to be 71 million next year.

Hrm. Perspective:

8.5 million is 11.97% of 71 million. Okay.
6.875 million is 10.912% of 63 million on the last year of a contract. Hrm
6.875 is 13.67% of 50.3 million when he signed the contract in 2008-09

I don't get what you people are *****ing about. The cap is going to keep going up, his % of that cap space is going to go down over the life of the contract, and it's starting at a lower % than his last contract. Essentially, he's signing for less money as a % of the cap and no one *****ed about his contract in 2008-09. I don't get it.

I think the problem is the front-loaded contracts signed by most players up untill now. Players have in reality been making 12-10m with a cap hit south of 7m... Many seems unaware of that and thinks that a player making 8+m will be one of the best paid in the league.

Shea Weber is making 12.29m on avg his first 7 years of his contract. Hank is making 8.5m during the same timeframe.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008

I agree with the bolded statement. Let's be honest, we are and have been a mediocre team WITH Henrik Lundqvist, and if we spent a little less on a goalie, and a little more on goal scoring...we'd probably still be a mediocre team.

We're just arguing about which deck chairs we want to put on the Titanic. And so it goes, until the clueless one finally decides to hang up the cigar.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I agree with the bolded statement. Let's be honest, we are and have been a mediocre team WITH Henrik Lundqvist, and if we spent a little less on a goalie, and a little more on goal scoring...we'd probably still be a mediocre team.

We're just arguing about which deck chairs we want to put on the Titanic. And so it goes, until the clueless one finally decides to hang up the cigar.

But when he does hang up the cigar, we might still be tied to this contract.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
But when he does hang up the cigar, we might still be tied to this contract.

Obviously if/when Sather ever decides to stop damaging us we'll be tied to whatever contracts he's responsible for at the time...but at least he'll stop damaging us going forward.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
The Price of Doing Business Under the New CBA

1598906481375395001.jpg

The Rangers signed star goaltender Henrik Lundqvist to a 7-year contract extension on December 4, ensuring that their franchise netminder would remain in New York for as long as the Rangers wished to continue to employ him. Reaction to the contract was mixed, with some rejoicing that Lundqvist, arguably the league’s best netminder, would be remaining with their team through 2021, and others worrying about the long-term risk of the contract and the $8.5 million cap hit associated with it. The opponents, however, would be well advised to bear two things in mind. First, Lundqvist was always going to receive this type of deal, and the Rangers had a choice between losing Lundqvist or accepting that fact; second, the mandates of the new CBA were at work here, and will continue to be as star players negotiate new contracts in the future. Observers had better get used to higher cap hits; they aren’t going anywhere.

Lundqvist has been lights out for the Rangers since breaking into the league in the 2005-2006 season. Since “King Henrik†assumed the starters’ throne, he has been the Rangers’ biggest calm in a storm of young players, ill-fitting stars, and overpriced has-beens assembled by mad scientist General Manager Glen Sather. His singular Vezina Trophy, earned in 2012, does not do justice to Lundqvist’s importance to the Rangers. Bearing that in mind, it is clear that there were more moving parts in the Lundqvist negotiations than pointing out salary comparisons; judging Lundqvist’s contract is more complicated than simply saying that his cap hit is substantially greater than any of his peers’.
Full Story

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I'm not concerned about his contract. He is a proven commodity. He has been our best player for the last eight years. And what people fail to realize is that his new cap hit will impact the team the same way his $6.8 million cap hit will.

It has nothing to do with how much money you spend on your goaltender, and everything to do with how you allocate your funds. If you're spending $8.5 million on a goaltender, and he is performing well for you, than give him a pat on the back, because he is doing his job.

If you spend $7+ million on a forward (Drury, Gomez) or $6.5 million on a defense man (Redden), than you are allocating funds to players who cannot live up to the contract.

Same with Nash and Richards. The problem isn't that Lundqvist is making his money. The issue is that we have numerous other players over the last several years making big money and not performing.

This wouldn't even be an issue if we had our major contracts tied up in Zetterberg, Kane, Sedin, Datsyuk, Getzlaf, Perry, etc, caliber players.

The difference is we have used those same funds to acquire Drury, Gomez, Redden, Richards and Nash. Gaborik was our only UFA that worked out.

We need to build from within and sign players to solid contracts (similar to Kane/Toews). Unfortunately, we don't have anyone in the pipe line close to their ability (and no, Stepan is NOT close to that caliber, before anyone decides to jump on the Stepan is a "#1 center" train).

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
that richards contract is just crippling you guys, u guys need a bonafide number one center and richards 1979 born is not. i bet he get bought out summertime.

Which is a shame because he has been our best forward this year. Richards on any other team with competent offense has 30+ points right now.

He's been the least of our concerns, but unfortunately, we will likely buy him out and delegate those funds to signing Captain Callahan to a monster contract, that will look worse than the Richards contract, right off the bat.

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo

People should read this part.

In short, a perfect storm of peerless leverage on Lundqvist’s part and a cap structure mandated by the CBA conspired to raise King Henrik’s cap hit. If Sather had been able to add two throwaway years at $1 million to drag down his star netminder’s cap hit, he would have done it, and settled on a manageable $6.83 million. However, that is simply not the way the new CBA works. Luongo, Marian Hossa, and Henrik Zetterberg-type deals have gone the way of the dodo. Had those deals been signed under circumstances similar to those that exist today, their cap hits would be higher as well. Pundits may cringe at the sight of salary cap hits like Lundqvist’s, but the fact of the matter is that they would do well to get over the shock. That is simply the price of doing business in the new NHL.

Stars will get a cap hit north of $8m from now.

Hariken

Apr 7, 2013
The contract is brutal since Lundqvist is on his way out if his prime... just look at his play lately, not like it is gonna improve with age. Should've went with the cheap-goalie route... Talbot is good enough to be starter.

Sather..man. He seems to have a fetish signing players out of their prime to grossly overpaid contracts. Gomez, Drury, Richards and now this. This team is done for with this incompetent GM.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
The contract is brutal since Lundqvist is on his way out if his prime... just look at his play lately, not like it is gonna improve with age. Should've went with the cheap-goalie route... Talbot is good enough to be starter.

Sather..man. He seems to have a fetish signing players out of their prime to grossly overpaid contracts. Gomez, Drury, Richards and now this. This team is done for with this incompetent GM.

Yeah, his play of late clearly dictates he is on his way out of if his prime. :shakehead

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
I understand that Hank's playing poorly, but considering that this man single-handedly dragged this team out of the gutter and into the playoffs multiple times, I'm not going to turn on him.

There are other options than to endlessly bury on a struggling player, especially one who's number will eventually be retired for his years of elite play.

Some of the comments regarding the most beloved Ranger in a generation are disgusting.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
"The highest paid and supposedly best goalie in the league has to stop some hard to save shots. That's what he's done for years, and it's why he's making $8.5 per year"

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
"The highest paid and supposedly best goalie in the league has to stop some hard to save shots. That's what he's done for years, and it's why he's making $8.5 per year"

Complaining about Lundqvist right now is akin to driving up to your home, seeing the entire thing burnt to the ground, and complaining about a cracked foundation.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Yeah, his play of late clearly dictates he is on his way out of if his prime. :shakehead

This is very possible. Hank has lot of mileage on him. NHL Mileage & mileage before his NHL days.

I'm not positive that Lundqvist is done, but i'm not positive that he is going to play the same way he had prior to the lockout. This town is full of players that were stars in their early 30's than flamed out, crashed & burned in record time. It happens more often than you think.

We should all be worried.

Last edited:

Ragnarok14

Nov 25, 2011
Deutschland

I don't think that is as ludicrous as you seem to. He has been piss poor this entire season, by far the worst stretch of his career. It at the very least is concerning, considering we are tied to the guy for "life". I still think he's a top net minder, but he has really struggled( as has the Entire team).

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey
Hank will be 37, giving up 4 goals a game and people on here will still defend him for the great stuff he's done in the past. I love hank and all, but this is pro sports, you shouldn't get paid for the **** you did in the past. It seems to be this managment's MO to pay people for what they've done in the past and not what they project to do in the future.

I'm sorry was hank playing for free the past 8 years? Is hank not making tons of $$$ of endorsements from being the face of New York hockey? Should we pay hank $12 million a year just because he had a good first 8 years with us? What if the next 7 years go like the first 30 games of the season has? Should we be ok with it then because hes henrik lundqvist?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
no problem on the second 2 goals, that first goal was a backbreaker, this team has no comeback ability, and to go down a goal so early pretty much lost it for us there and then.

which speaks as much to the team as it does to Henrik.

i dont care, at this point every loss gets us closer to a #1 pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad