Confirmed with Link: Rangers re-sign Henrik Lundqvist [7 years, $59.5M, $8.5M AAV, Full NMC]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wamsutta

I'm Glen Sather IRL
Nov 8, 2011
Connecticut
Hank is the sole reason this team hasn't been a basement dweller for the last eight years straight, good on him getting paid. It's not like Sather was going to do anything productive with that cap room anyway, look at his track record.

NYROrtsFan

Feb 1, 2007
$8.5M also buys a lot of saves, in this case.

Relax people, its a $1.7M annual raise for him. This team needs to get away from the mentality that cap space is going to buy more scoring. It hasn't worked for this franchise ever.

The debate comes down to how many more saves the 8.5 million offers... No sane person questions whether Henrik is a good player or not. The fact of the matter is that there is a salary cap and you have to best choose how to divide up that money. I would contend that using a big chunk of it on a goalie is probably not the best way.

KreiMeARiver*

8.5 Mill for a friggin goalie past his prime. This team is done for. Should've traded him and gone for Talbot. Cheaper, better, younger, money for offense. A goalie can't score goals!!!

You know he was runner-up in the Vezina last. yee.....aahhh what's the use!?

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Too much term and too much dough, he's on the wrong side of 30, how many more prime years does he have left with his style of play? This contract will come back to bite imo

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
I think Cam Talbot is still young and we will keep him around, a single goaltender cannot win every game nowadays in the long haul. Talbot has been stellar

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We should all look past the sentiment and think about whether a goalie should make 8.5 mil or whether that money should be redirected for offense. A team can thrive and win a Cup with a quality but not world class elite goalie like Talbot if they are stacked in front of him.

When is a top scorer going to be available via free agency with the cap rising?

Would you rather Have Richards and an ELC goalie or no Richards and Lundqvist, as an example of this tradeoff.

And then, if your replacement plays well he needs a deal. 4-5 million range.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Too much term and too much dough, he's on the wrong side of 30, how many more prime years does he have left with his style of play? This contract will come back to bite imo

The wrong side of 30? The dude has never had a major injury and holds up very well. His style of play affords him to luxury of playing well for another 5 years easily.

On top of all that, Richards contract is gone after this year, and the cap will continue to go UP.

Take a step back and look at the reality of the situation. It's pretty awesome from this view. :yo:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The debate comes down to how many more saves the 8.5 million offers... No sane person questions whether Henrik is a good player or not. The fact of the matter is that there is a salary cap and you have to best choose how to divide up that money. I would contend that using a big chunk of it on a goalie is probably not the best way.

It is when your GM is a dolt and can't develop and/or buy the right players to help with the scoring. Lundqvist is and has been the ultimate safety net for Sather.

Parker

Mar 25, 2007
Binghamton, NY
We should all look past the sentiment and think about whether a goalie should make 8.5 mil or whether that money should be redirected for offense. A team can thrive and win a Cup with a quality but not world class elite goalie like Talbot if they are stacked in front of him.

This is my instinct too, for as much as I appreciate Hank and what he's done for the team I just feel like this is too much money for a goalie and it's going to handcuff what they can do with the rest of the roster.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
i agree with this sentiment and all others like this. Other teams lock up there superstars ours just so happens to be in net. I was hoping for 8mil per but hey 8.5 is fine by me.

I dont understand why people are upset he was due for a raise and he got one. 1.7 mil is about what i expected. he would have gotten over 9 mil on the open market that is for certain.

Exactly. As someone else pointed out, if that's the difference between keeping him and losing him, I'm all about it.

Except a small handful of elite goalies in the last decade, most tenders who are considered stars have bad seasons. Some have one or two great years then fade away. Some have a lot of good years and a good amount of bad years, but Hank has nothing but good years. He's as consistent as a future HOF goalie would be right now and consistency for a goal tender is HUGE, especially on a goal depraved team like the Rangers.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Lundqvist will be 39 at the end of this deal, the same age as Tim Thomas, close to Nabokov. Obviously he wouldn't likely be the same level at that age, but neither will the cap.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
"$8.5M buys a lot of contract/offense" posters, I don't think he would had stayed for $0,000,000.
It's always been a difference of $1M. $7.5 to $8.5 give or take $200,000.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Talbot has another year on his contract and then he is a group III. Maybe the Rangers cash in on the asset in the summer. If he continues to play well,his value goes up in terms of how the Rangers can get for him and how much he can make as a free agent.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@AGrossRecord: No goalie controversy: Lundqvist agrees to seven-ear extension for $59.5 million ($8.5 million per). Press conference at noon.”

messiah

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
People are forgetting this is richards last year as a ranger and his 7 mil plus cap hit will be removed when they buy him out this summer

KreiMeARiver*

“@AGrossRecord: No goalie controversy: Lundqvist agrees to seven-ear extension for $59.5 million ($8.5 million per). Press conference at noon.”

I'm glad this is behind us. Regardless of what he says, I'm sure it was affecting his play; even if only a small amount. It had to have been weighing on his mind.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
The wrong side of 30? The dude has never had a major injury and holds up very well. His style of play affords him to luxury of playing well for another 5 years easily.

On top of all that, Richards contract is gone after this year, and the cap will continue to go UP.

Take a step back and look at the reality of the situation. It's pretty awesome from this view. :yo:

What are you talking about? He's always on his knees, do you have any clue what that does to your body as a goalie?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

So you think signing Vanek and/or Cammaleri is the better option compared to signing the best goalie in the league over the past 8 years?

The Rangers will need to find cheap goal scoring option that fit into a clear team concept - like all successful teams have done post-lockout. No more of this buying goal scoring crap. It doesnt work for the Rangers. It never has.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
I am sure you will all call me a troll here.
But 8.5M a year that seems like a Very high Cap hit no ?

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

he's on the wrong side of 30

If 31 is the wrong side of 30, then....
goats_are_like_mushrooms____by_mhscreamgirl-d4subxz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad