Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't think it's fair to say that Ronning hasn't been good enough until this season, Giants were one of the worst teams in the entire CHL last season, they were atrocious. Scoring 25+28 on that team was not bad at all, then adding 2+3 in 12 games for an equally bad Hartford in the AHL.

I think you've said it better than I had. Ronning adjusted very well to the AHL in Hartford at the end of last season and I really don't see a reason why he won't do so again. I see him becoming at least a pretty decent AHL player--the question is can he rise above that? Just as a comparison of him to Ryan Gropp--it took Gropp (our 2nd round pick) 15 games to start getting some production going and Gropp is an older player than Ronning was when he put up a respectable 5 points in 12 games last year for a really horrible AHL team--not that the current one has been any great shakes.

I think Ronning deserves an NHL 2 way contract. I think we should at least get a very good AHL forward out of him and possibly an NHL player though thinking he'll ever be as good as his father Cliff is a very large reach--one that I wouldn't want to make.

Reactions: ManUtdTobbe

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lakatos earned six whole minutes of TOI today. Get him out of there.

Zborovskiy had an assist as Greenville won 5-4 in OT.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Well, for every late round euro league hit there will always be 10 misses, I guess. NYR did well with Hagelin and Fast. Now we're just waiting on the next one.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
My wife and I are moving and I am cleaning out. I have the annual Hockey News Draft Previews going back to 1989. If someone wants some or all of them and is willing to pay the shipping let me know. Otherwise they are going into recycling pile. I just didn't want to get rid of them without seeing if someone had an interest.

DM me I'm interested and I'll make it worth your while.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
DM me I'm interested and I'll make it worth your while.

FWIW I probably have some of these as well--though there are probably some pen and ink notations/underlining. I'm pretty sure I've got the 1986 draft with Leetch and Graves. I have a general idea where they are but I haven't looked at them in years and can't comment on what kind of condition they're in but if you want to go further back than 1989 I might be able to get you at least a couple to a few more.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Ronning has the wheels to play in this system very curious to see what he can do.

I still love sean day as a prospect. is he a future star? I don't know if he's got it between his ears or not so far he's shown he doesn't but the tools are overwhelming.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
FWIW I probably have some of these as well--though there are probably some pen and ink notations/underlining. I'm pretty sure I've got the 1986 draft with Leetch and Graves. I have a general idea where they are but I haven't looked at them in years and can't comment on what kind of condition they're in but if you want to go further back than 1989 I might be able to get you at least a couple to a few more.

I have:

1986- Oilers on cover
1987 - Mario
1988 - Muller

I forgot if they made them in 1985 or earlier. Those are the ones I'm looking for, even if they were just regular THN issues

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I have:

1986- Oilers on cover
1987 - Mario
1988 - Muller

I forgot if they made them in 1985 or earlier. Those are the ones I'm looking for, even if they were just regular THN issues

I know there was a 1986. I've been looking but I haven't been able to locate it yet. I remember what they said about Leetch--they thought he was too small and slight to be a d-man. They thought for him to make it he'd probably have to become a forward and they also said something along the lines of him being a rink rat--always working on his game. That's one of the reasons I remember it so well because they really underestimated him.

I found the 88 Muller--89--Gretzky--90 has 4 or 5 players the largest being Lindros. I also found a couple Red Lines--2000/2001 and a McKeen's 2007. There's tons of Blueshirt Bulletins.

Reactions: Steve Kournianos

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I know there was a 1986. I've been looking but I haven't been able to locate it yet. I remember what they said about Leetch--they thought he was too small and slight to be a d-man. They thought for him to make it he'd probably have to become a forward and they also said something along the lines of him being a rink rat--always working on his game. That's one of the reasons I remember it so well because they really underestimated him.

I found the 88 Muller--89--Gretzky--90 has 4 or 5 players the largest being Lindros. I also found a couple Red Lines--2000/2001 and a McKeen's 2007. There's tons of Blueshirt Bulletins.

I screenshot that Leetch scouting report and had it as my twitter background for two years. THN's draft preview held more weight around NHL circles back then than now.

I'm sure some of my draft takes in five or 10 years will be Arctic as well.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I screenshot that Leetch scouting report and had it as my twitter background for two years. THN's draft preview held more weight around NHL circles back then than now.

I'm sure some of my draft takes in five or 10 years will be Arctic as well.

It's what it is. You can't win them all. I remember the take on Lundmark--where one of the profilers talking about competitive he was mentioned all the black stick tape marks on his jersey from all the slashes he was taking and that's one of the things IMO that Lundmark lost.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Between periods of the Ranger game Friday night I turned on NBCSN, which televised the Minnesota-Notre Dame hockey game. In the couple of minutes that I saw every time Nanne got the puck he was pushing it up ice and took several shots. It is obvious this guy has some offensive ability. Once we get through football season there will be more college hockey games available to watch and I hope to see more of Minnesota. Casey Middlestadt was noticeable but Notre Dame shut out Minnesota although Minnesota had a big advantage in shots. The Notre Dame goal was scored by Andrew Ogilvie who attended the Rangers development camp this summer.

I think Nanne has been very good for the Gophers, and flashes star offensive potential. He was always extremely good going back to his HS days. Shame about his health, but he should be good to go now. He has always been a strong skater, with good instincts.

Reactions: lucky13

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's what it is. You can't win them all. I remember the take on Lundmark--where one of the profilers talking about competitive he was mentioned all the black stick tape marks on his jersey from all the slashes he was taking and that's one of the things IMO that Lundmark lost.

Nearly 20 years later and it's still my biggest disappointment/miss.

But the kid I saw in the pros was not the same kid I saw in the WHL. In hindsight, I'm not even sure he was the same player in the WHL during his second and third seasons there.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Ronning has the wheels to play in this system very curious to see what he can do.

I still love sean day as a prospect. is he a future star? I don't know if he's got it between his ears or not so far he's shown he doesn't but the tools are overwhelming.

John Moore. He might become a 2nd pairing guy at best, but he has all the tools in the world. He might put it together later in his career.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Nearly 20 years later and it's still my biggest disappointment/miss.

But the kid I saw in the pros was not the same kid I saw in the WHL. In hindsight, I'm not even sure he was the same player in the WHL during his second and third seasons there.

If I'm remembering right his parents were going through a nasty divorce and then Jamie didn't want to play for the WHL team he was playing for and his production stagnated--might even have gone down and then he forced a trade.....and after all that he just wasn't the same anymore. As a Ranger--his two way play was sporadic and the impression I started getting was that he expected things to be handed to him. Renney wasn't exactly a mean or a tough coach to play for either.....but you got to be able to outperform others and work every area of the ice if you want to make the NHL.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think Nanne has been very good for the Gophers, and flashes star offensive potential. He was always extremely good going back to his HS days. Shame about his health, but he should be good to go now. He has always been a strong skater, with good instincts.
Thanks for the report. Please stop by if you have anything else to share about him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Reunanen's loan spell didn't last long--he played for TPS today. 10+ minutes and was -2. Hooray. Patrik Virta was scoreless, continuing his stretch of offensive struggles.

Bereglazov has played 11 games since going back, has 1 assist, no penalty minutes, and is +2.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
People gave me shyte about Morgan and Andersson when I said I feel Morgan has better offensive potential than Lias Andersson who is so so in all aspects of his game at this point. I don't see how that is bias. What has he done to make you think he is anything other than a 3rd line center prospect? What skills does he showcase now to make you think he can be a second line center? He is not growing more. He is not gonna skate better at this age. He may gain more strength. But I don't see the offense for a 7th overall pick. And listen that's fine. It's not his fault. He didn't pick himself 7th overall while there were still better players on the board. I am not rooting against him. I hope he makes me eat crow. But I am not going to hold my breath and I'm gonna be really pissed if he doesnt make me eat crow because it would mean he was another top ten reach.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hey BS there's a whole thread devoted to arguing about Lias Andersson, can you please go there instead? No need to f*** up this thread with an argument that has its own dedicated thread.

Reactions: kovazub94

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
People gave me shyte about Morgan and Andersson when I said I feel Morgan has better offensive potential than Lias Andersson who is so so in all aspects of his game at this point. I don't see how that is bias. What has he done to make you think he is anything other than a 3rd line center prospect? What skills does he showcase now to make you think he can be a second line center? He is not growing more. He is not gonna skate better at this age. He may gain more strength. But I don't see the offense for a 7th overall pick. And listen that's fine. It's not his fault. He didn't pick himself 7th overall while there were still better players on the board. I am not rooting against him. I hope he makes me eat crow. But I am not going to hold my breath and I'm gonna be really pissed if he doesnt make me eat crow because it would mean he was another top ten reach.

Playing in a professional hockey league at the age of 19 and still putting up points is a valid reason to think he will be more than a 3rd line center. The SHL is a far superior league than the NCHC

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
Since when does skating ability peak at 19??
That’s ridiculous .... most of the crap being flung around LA is tho so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad