Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I don't think they're that similar honestly. They're both aggressive but in different ways, i get that it's a natural comparison to try and make but i don't think it's very accurate.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Hopefully he becomes comparable to his old man! Could you imagine if we pulled Cliff Ronning out of the 201st pick of the draft? Cliff was also a 7th round pick, though when there were way fewer teams.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Virta had two assists, snapping his extended points drought. For the sixth time this year, Tarmo got the "They let me in the lineup but not on the ice :'(" treatment. As a side note, this came against KooKoo, where Stromwall now plays. He's doing well for himself with 5+2 in 8 games.

Lakatos embarrassingly had to play a second game in the second-tier Czech league. He scored a goal and has 2 points in 2 games. Not good that he's down there. As I suggested earlier, maybe he needs a change.

Shesterkin won, stopping 28 of 30.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I think our European scouts must pick it up a notch. I don’t know these kids that well, but I don’t like to see kids that don’t even remotely come close when there are plenty of low hanging fruit out there. There are no such thing as a high potential/big bust kid. Unless there are personal/injury issues involved a big bust was always a very bad pick.

Will be exciting to see what Kjellberg and Eloranta can do next season. Kjellberg is leaving his work as a police in Sweden to become a scout, can’t blame him! ;)

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I disagree with that statement Ola, plenty of things can happen to influence the development of a player, both positively and negatively.

Tarmo played well from all accounts and got ~15-16 min TOI, then suddenly he goes from that to consistently being scratched for no apparent reason, how can you put that on him or the scouts?

Reactions: Ola

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I disagree with that statement Ola, plenty of things can happen to influence the development of a player, both positively and negatively.

Tarmo played well from all accounts and got ~15-16 min TOI, then suddenly he goes from that to consistently being scratched for no apparent reason, how can you put that on him or the scouts?

WRT Tarmo, his D+1 season was uninspiring. I mean it wasn't terrible, given that he was coming off an injury. It was the kind of season where you just give him a pass and say, "next year." Then this year he apparently is off to a decent start, but then has some bad Champions League games and has been in-and-out since then. There's more competition for TOI now as well at TPS, and he just hasn't been able to break through. I mean when you say, "for no apparent reason," it's no apparent reason to us because we're not there to watch him practice, or really to watch him in games. I doubt that the TPS coaches would be keeping him out of the lineup if he was looking great every day at the rink. There are guys beating him out now that he played ahead of earlier in the year.

Even with all that said, though, I don't really fault the scouts for the pick. Reunanen if you'll remember was once hyped as a potential first round pick, so taking him where they did because he fell due to injury seemed like a justifiable risk. There's also the fact that while he's in his D+2 season, he's still just 19. He could be playing CHL hockey now if he was in the States, and his outlook might be quite a bit different than it appears to be now. Defensemen take some time to develop, so while the odds are against him he could still yet become a player.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
It's just weird that he goes from 2nd pairing to scratched, no in between... Then when Tallinder was hurt for a few games he was right back to 2nd pairing... Something is off there...

In general i just disagree with Olas statement that there are no high upside/high bust potential picks.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Wall's stock taking a big hit.

I don't agree, Huska started poorly, and he was given the benefit of the doubt, Wall didn't get it. I think it would naive to judge a goalie's stock as a prospect on 5 games. His team can do whatever they want with their team, but that shouldn't itself make any judgements for us.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think our Russia scout has done a very good job recently by finding Shestyorkin and Buchnevich.

The Finland scout hit on Saarela, Czech Republic scout hit on Chytil, and Sjalin looks like a solid find by the Sweden scout, but outside of our results in Russia the past number of drafts, we've had really mediocre results from Europe. And the Russia scout might deserve some blame if Bereglazov doesn't pan out for us.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hopefully he becomes comparable to his old man! Could you imagine if we pulled Cliff Ronning out of the 201st pick of the draft? Cliff was also a 7th round pick, though when there were way fewer teams.

Cliff lost in the SCF to the Rangers. That must be odd at family dinners if Ty makes the team

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't agree, Huska started poorly, and he was given the benefit of the doubt, Wall didn't get it. I think it would naive to judge a goalie's stock as a prospect on 5 games. His team can do whatever they want with their team, but that shouldn't itself make any judgements for us.

He came in as the unquestioned starting goalie on a good team. He lost the job in a month. He evidently hasn't done enough to convince the coaches to give him even one more look. Yes, it's a very small sample. It could be an aberration (and likely is). But if we looked at all our prospects and said if their stock was up, down, or unchanged relative to preseason, you'd be hard-pressed to sell me on Wall's stock as being anything other than down. Some of it is due to circumstances out of his control, but it is what it is. Unless he can find a way to force his way back between the pipes for a couple games and put on a good performance, he's looking at a lost year. Right now he's in a tough position and by his own doing. Hopefully he can get it turned around.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
If my (VERY) limited Finnish is correct that's a two week loan? That would make sense since mid December is when the WJC camps should start. Reunanen probably back to TPS then because they lose Juolevi, unless Reunanen gets picked for the WJC camp, seems kinda unlikely though unless they have injuries, he should be like #8-#10 on their D list.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well that sucks he's back in Mestis, but he's better off playing every game for them than rotting on TPS's bench or press box. And SaPKo is a having a decent year.

He needs to really establish himself by next season. Otherwise he's looking like another Calle Andersson.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If Hartford wasn't so loaded at D, I would almost say the Rangers should just call him over so he at least gets consistent playing time. Unfortunately, not only is the defense full, but the team is also a bit of a dumpster fire

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
All TPS has on their site is the following, translated:

TARMO REUNANEN TO LOAN SAPKOON

TPS Defender Tarmo Reunanen will move on 14 December. with a valid loan agreement in Savonlinna for the Mestis Society at SaPKo.

That makes it unclear if the loan is UNTIL 12/14, or begins on that date. The latter would be a weird way of doing a loan and wouldn't make a ton of sense for the reasons Tobbe outlined above.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Yeah, it's probably UNTIL 12/14 but it's a bit unclear... A Finnish poster is needed for translation :D

Got some Finnish help on twitter, he's on loan UNTIL 12/14, which makes a ton of sense.

Last edited:

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
I'm curious as to when you guys think we'll see Shestyorkin in New York. I know he's under contract, so do you anticipate a jump to the Rangers after that, another year in Russia, or time in Hartford?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Pretty conclusive at this point that Admiral won't make KHL playoffs this year. I want Tkachev to come over and finish the season with Hartford in March. After a very slow start (I think he literally had zero points in the first 8 games) he's been a PPG player for the last 26 games.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm curious as to when you guys think we'll see Shestyorkin in New York. I know he's under contract, so do you anticipate a jump to the Rangers after that, another year in Russia, or time in Hartford?

I don't think the latter is much of a possibility.

Other than that, I don't know. He's said he wants to play in the NHL and said he wants to play with Lundqvist, who is his idol.

I think he probably plays one more season after this one in Russia, so likely joins in 2019-2020. Could also join a year earlier if he wants to buy out the final year of his contract or maybe he stays longer in Russia, like his good friend Sorokin is doing.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pretty conclusive at this point that Admiral won't make KHL playoffs this year. I want Tkachev to come over and finish the season with Hartford in March. After a very slow start (I think he literally had zero points in the first 8 games) he's been a PPG player for the last 26 games.

I'd like him to sign with us, but the NHL team, not the AHL one, if he gets a late season cameo with the Rangers. Given his KHL production, I'm not sure he really needs to be AHL tested. And given we probably won't be contending, we could likely afford to give him games to adjust.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'd like him to sign with us, but the NHL team, not the AHL one, if he gets a late season cameo with the Rangers. Given his KHL production, I'm not sure he really needs to be AHL tested. And given we probably won't be contending, we could likely afford to give him games to adjust.
If the Wolf Pack suddenly turn around and go on a playoff hunt while the Rangers aren't, I'd rather he just sign a PTO to play in the AHL for the rest of the season, with a backdoor handshake on an NHL deal following.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I'd always prefer to err on a side of caution. He will be on a completely different page from the rest of the players in many ways and you are making an awfully big assumption on the state of the Rangers. It's likely that the team will be right in the middle of playoff spot contention. On the other hand there would be no pressure whatsoever to produce in Hartford, he would just need to focus on acclimating to NA hockey. This is more like an early prep for the following 18-19 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad