Prospect Info: Rangers Prospects Thread (Stats in Post #1; Updated 5.29.18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Gettinger can’t skate like at all. So not surprised there but Sean Day not making that team is absurd. More USA Hockey Politics.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Just thought it would be fun to check in on the guys we had in Prospect Camp. I used to track their progress through the season, but it was a lot of work for guys that we almost certainly wouldn't sign.

Adrian Carbonara, RW: 13 games, 5 points, 33 PIM in the OHL (2 teams)
Colt Conrad, C: 17 games, 21 points in the NCAA with WMU
Walker Duehr, RW: 5 games, 2 points with Minnesota-Mankato in the NCAA
Griffin Luce, D: 14 games, 1 point with Michigan in the NCAA
Alec McRea, D: 12 games, 6 points with Cornell in the NCAA
Ryan Moore, C: 25 games, 26 points, 27 PIM in the OHL (2 teams)
Tyler Mueller, D: 15 games, 10 points with UMass-Lowell in the NCAA
Andrew Oglevie, C: 14 games, 13 points with Notre Dame in the NCAA
Kyle Pettit, C: 16 games, 9 points with University of Western Ontario
Pavel Poryadin, LW: 24 games, 6 points with Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik in the KHL
Luc Smith, C: 26 games, 16 points with Kamloops in the WHL
Joe Snively, LW: 11 games, 10 points with Yale in the NCAA
Tyce Thompson, C: 17 games, 9 points with Dubuque in the USHL

Not a whole lot of interest.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Gettinger can’t skate like at all. So not surprised there but Sean Day not making that team is absurd. More USA Hockey Politics.

I honestly thought that both of them would find a place and a role on the National team for WJC. They were among better performers during the summer camp. Interested to see who made it from the camp and who are new invitees that were not participating in the summer camp.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Just thought it would be fun to check in on the guys we had in Prospect Camp. I used to track their progress through the season, but it was a lot of work for guys that we almost certainly wouldn't sign.

Adrian Carbonara, RW: 13 games, 5 points, 33 PIM in the OHL (2 teams)
Colt Conrad, C: 17 games, 21 points in the NCAA with WMU
Walker Duehr, RW: 5 games, 2 points with Minnesota-Mankato in the NCAA
Griffin Luce, D: 14 games, 1 point with Michigan in the NCAA
Alec McRea, D: 12 games, 6 points with Cornell in the NCAA
Ryan Moore, C: 25 games, 26 points, 27 PIM in the OHL (2 teams)
Tyler Mueller, D: 15 games, 10 points with UMass-Lowell in the NCAA
Andrew Oglevie, C: 14 games, 13 points with Notre Dame in the NCAA
Kyle Pettit, C: 16 games, 9 points with University of Western Ontario
Pavel Poryadin, LW: 24 games, 6 points with Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik in the KHL
Luc Smith, C: 26 games, 16 points with Kamloops in the WHL
Joe Snively, LW: 11 games, 10 points with Yale in the NCAA
Tyce Thompson, C: 17 games, 9 points with Dubuque in the USHL

Not a whole lot of interest.

Ogelvie and Conrad are the only two that seem worthwhile based on statwatching

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Neither deserved to make it. You could make arguments for them as 13th forward or 7D, but you could make that argument for 10 players, they didn't deserve to be picked.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Thanks for the report. Please stop by if you have anything else to share about him.
Will do, but i'll have to warn you that i am shit at predicting how prospects will do in the NHL. I thought Fogarty would be good, though I'll admit part of it was because of his size. Seemed to lack the motor necessary to succeed at higher levels. Nanne seems to be the opposite. Smaller, but good, if not great, motor.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Will do, but i'll have to warn you that i am **** at predicting how prospects will do in the NHL. I thought Fogarty would be good, though I'll admit part of it was because of his size. Seemed to lack the motor necessary to succeed at higher levels. Nanne seems to be the opposite. Smaller, but good, if not great, motor.
Understood. Truth be told, I take 99% of the in-game reports posted here with a large grain of salt. It's just nice when someone is able to pop in and say, hey, he's getting PP1 time, he's moving the puck well, he's doing such and such in his own end, etc. Just some of the stuff that you can't necessarily tell from the box score. That's really the stuff that interests me. :)

And, for what it's worth, I'm probably still the lone holdout on thinking Fogarty plays in the NHL one day. :laugh:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

It's really not that absurd. He wasn't a lock by any means. His defense still has a lot to be desired and against top players at the WJCs he would likely be exposed.

Ranger Ric

Oct 26, 2015
I am attaching a link to a story on top undrafted college players. Brickley Leads Class of NCAA Undrafted Free Agents

Two guys mentioned in the article, Tyler Mueller and Alec McCrae, attended the Rangers camp. Mueller is a 23 year old senior left handed defenseman. McCrae is a 22 year old junior right handed defenseman. The Rangers will see a lot of McCrae as they follow Morgan Barron this year. Four other attendees, Colt Conrad, Ryan Moore, Andrew Oglvie and Joseph Snively are all smaller forwards who are consistent point per game scorers. Moore also played at Traverse City but I don't remember him having much impact.

The top prospect mentioned in the article, defenseman Daniel Brickley, attended Rangers development camp in 2015.

I think there may be a little more interest in these guys but many of these prospects that go to one team's camp sign with other teams -- see C. J. Smith on U Mass Lowell who attended Rangers 2016 camp but signed with Buffalo and has scored 23 points in 22 games for Rochester and would look good in a Wolfpack uniform -- and none of these guys seem to be top level talent.

Ogelvie and Conrad are the only two that seem worthwhile based on statwatching

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Understood. Truth be told, I take 99% of the in-game reports posted here with a large grain of salt. It's just nice when someone is able to pop in and say, hey, he's getting PP1 time, he's moving the puck well, he's doing such and such in his own end, etc. Just some of the stuff that you can't necessarily tell from the box score. That's really the stuff that interests me. :)

And, for what it's worth, I'm probably still the lone holdout on thinking Fogarty plays in the NHL one day. :laugh:

I was biased for Fogarty because he got on the ice with me and my boy's Squirt team to play a bit of shinny. This was maybe 8-9 years ago, so I was still kidding myself that I could play a bit of D. Made me look like a fool, though I could bother a couple of his other buddies that were also decent players. His reach and moves were what stood out.

I also saw a lot of Nanne at the HS level. He's basically the same with the Gophers as he was in HS. He is smallish, but not tiny, and is strong on his skates. If he was a pitcher you'd say he has "electric stuff". The exact opposite of a plodder.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden

This is a blatant lie, Gettinger has worked a lot on his skating and is actually a pretty darn decent skater now. Good agility for his size and very good straight ahead speed.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Stats 18 year olds playing in SEL

34 games 10-8-18 Sundin
42 games 9-10-19 Lias (last season)
39 games 9-19-28 P. Forsberg
49 games 12-22-34 H. Sedin
50 game 21-21-42 D. Sedin
46 games 10-16-26 N. Backstrom
26 games 5-8-13 Zibs
47 games 5-2-7 Hornqvist
48 games 11-19-30 E. Lindholm
16 games 3-1-4 Silfverberg 48 games 8-8-16 as a 19 y.o.
49 game 7-5-12 Arvidsson as a 19 y.o.
50 games 16-5-21 Wennberg as a 19 y.o.

Guys like Backlund, & Berglund weren't even good enough to play in the SEL - they played in Swe-1
Zetterberg didn't start in SEL until he was the age of 20, Franzen at like 21 - was like 25 when he finally came over.
Filip Forsberg and William Nylander tore it up in juniors so much they pretty much started in the NHL right away before having a chance to play in the SEL

I think a good modern day comparison (just looking at stats since I have no video) is N.Backstrom went 40 points in 45 games in his 19 y.o. season. Lias in on pace for about just 28 points in 45 games. Better than many but obviously not at the top levels. It really is about how they grow and develop because Arvidsson and Wennberg both turned into outstanding players.

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
This is a blatant lie, Gettinger has worked a lot on his skating and is actually a pretty darn decent skater now. Good agility for his size and very good straight ahead speed.

Stop yourself the guy cannot skate he’s worked on it lovely but he still cannot skate if he could he’d be a big time prospect he can’t pivot stop and go nothing. He’s abusing juniors because of his size. But he still cannot skate.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Stop yourself the guy cannot skate he’s worked on it lovely but he still cannot skate if he could he’d be a big time prospect he can’t pivot stop and go nothing. He’s abusing juniors because of his size. But he still cannot skate.
He wouldn't be a big time prospect because he's still not that gifted offensively. And he's not abusing the OHL--a point per game for a guy that is huge and will be 20 at the end of the season is not "abuse" of the league. He's having a decent season showing reasonable progression but that's it.

Reactions: Irishguy42

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Huska stopped 28 shots in a 4-2 win last night. He's had a good season other than the handful of games where he struggled in the immediate aftermath of his injury.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Huska stopped 28 shots in a 4-2 win last night. He's had a good season other than the handful of games where he struggled in the immediate aftermath of his injury.

His team also isn't very good. I think he's still close to a top 10 goalie prospect. He's been good or no worse than solid every year he's been a Rangers prospect, very few complaints about this guy.

Reactions: kovazub94

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Tyler Wall finally got another start tonight. He gave up 3 goals in the first. Now in his defense, there was no defense, as Lowell allowed 24 shots. They just started the second, hopefully things get better.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
After giving up his sixth goal about 12 minutes into the second period, Wall was once again pulled. What an absolute nightmare of a season for him.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Nanne's Minnesota are on TV tonight for those of you who get Big 10 Network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad