Pre-Game Talk: Rangers @ icelanders Thursday 2/16 @ 7:00 EST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I have never seen him play a game where he didn't put in effort, though. I think that's primarily what happened with Buch.

Uh, really?

I'm not at all a "watch the games!!!!" guy but I've seen plenty of games where Vesey made no attempt to make plays with the puck, and looked worthless on ice.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Uh, really?

I'm not at all a "watch the games!!!!" guy but I've seen plenty of games where Vesey made no attempt to make plays with the puck, and looked worthless on ice.

Yeah, there was a stretch there where Vesey was skating in quicksand and seemed to do nothing but flybys in the offensive zone. He's looked pretty good the past handful though so hopefully he's worked through the typical college player first pro season slump.

The point raised before about healthy is a good point, maybe if we were completely healthy when Vesey was struggling, he might've gotten a scratch too. He was relegated to the 4th line for a while.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
In the recent past under AV and Torts, Miller used to be scratched and sent down, Kreider too. Fast and Hayes were healthy scratches too. No big deal.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Good move sitting PB. Said it in the other thread as well.

He didn't take his demotion well last game and played terrible.

He's 21 year's old, he can sit in the press box and watch a game.

Pirri should have a big game coming into the lineup.

eyjee's freak out in the thread over it is hilarious though. It's one game.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Good move sitting PB. Said it in the other thread as well.

He didn't take his demotion well last game and played terrible.

He's 21 year's old, he can sit in the press box and watch a game.

Pirri should have a big game coming into the lineup.

looks like puempel is playing, not pirri

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
eyjee's freak out in the thread over it is hilarious though. It's one game.

6p7ib3V.gif

Somebody give me a good objective reason that Vesey stayed in the lineup the entire months of December and January, nay, got BUMPED TO THE TOP LINE, after those performances, and I'll chill.

Until then, I reserve the right to continue this 'freak out'

1929016_o.gif

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Greatest gif/movie ever :laugh:

I think it just has more to do with Buch being a few years younger and the defensive stuff like other people said. He will be back in the lineup in no time. Now if he sits for more than a game or 2 i'll freak out too.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Did anyone watch Buchnevich without their rose colored glasses on? He was a liability out there against Columbus. Hard to blame AV here. Kid is a rookie he can use a few nights off to watch and learn.

I have no problem with Buchnevich being a healthy scratch after having a bad game. I just wish there was consistency. Vesey has been playing poorly for weeks and he got chance after chance to turn it around. Now he finally has a good game and it won't happen, but in late December/Early January, he did not earn to be in the line-up

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
6p7ib3V.gif

Somebody give me a good objective reason that Vesey stayed in the lineup the entire months of December and January, nay, got BUMPED TO THE TOP LINE, after those performances, and I'll chill.

Until then, I reserve the right to continue this 'freak out'

1929016_o.gif

When we had injuries to Nash, Zibs, and Pump we did not have as much flexibility. As far as what lines guys play on AV shuffles the deck often trying to find some chemistry. Hockey is not a game where the best players always make the best line. Vesey was promoted to play with Nash in a game where we had no scoring going on and other lines were shuffled as well. AV got good results from that shuffle. Its not Vesey vs PB. Its Vesey vs Vesey and PB vs PB. Vesey is starting to pick up his game a little bit. Lets hope that helps his confidence. PB will be back. He was not sent to the AHL. Pirri sat. Pumpel sat. Last season I believe Dom Moore and Fast also sat out at some point.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This likely has a lot more to do with the fact that Zuccarello is really good, and much less to do with the fact that AV benched him.

My point was that Zook was not playing great at that point so AV sat him. It did not end Zooks world. The next game AV dressed Zooks but on the 4th line. Zooks came back determined and scored a dirty goal on the 4th line.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
My point was that Zook was not playing great at that point so AV sat him. It did not end Zooks world. The next game AV dressed Zooks but on the 4th line. Zooks came back determined and scored a dirty goal on the 4th line.

Did Zucc score a goal because he got benched, or did Zucc score a goal because he's Zucc and he's really good at hockey? I'd argue the latter, you the former.

Just like when Buch gets back into the lineup, if he plays a good game, it's likely not because he was benched, but because Buch is really good at hockey.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Did Zucc score a goal because he got benched, or did Zucc score a goal because he's Zucc and he's really good at hockey? I'd argue the latter, you the former.

Just like when Buch gets back into the lineup, if he plays a good game, it's likely not because he was benched, but because Buch is really good at hockey.

Zooks came out determined that game. My hope is that PB comes out determined as well. Does benching a guy make them automatically score a goal in their next game? No. Does benching a guy sometimes light a fire on them because they want to stay in the lineup? Yes.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Zooks came out determined that game. My hope is that PB comes out determined as well. Does benching a guy make them automatically score a goal in their next game? No. Does benching a guy sometimes light a fire on them because they want to stay in the lineup? Yes.

I still think you're assigning success to the wrong thing.

Plenty of players get benched a lot and they don't come back into the lineup swinging. Bad players get benched because they're bad and when they come into the lineup they are still bad.

Good players get benched because it's the right thing to do, and they come back into the lineup swinging because they're still good players.

Perhaps our ideologies just do not align on this.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Plenty of players get benched a lot and they don't come back into the lineup swinging. Bad players get benched because they're bad and when they come into the lineup they are still bad.

Good players get benched because it's the right thing to do, and they come back into the lineup swinging because they're still good players.

For whatever reason, Buch looks different than he did before the injury, right?

If Vesey had been sat earlier, would you be okay with Buch watching a game?

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Yes and no. Mostly because I don't really think Buch has been all that bad. He had a bad period in Columbus. I wouldn't bench him for that, and again, don't think he's been as bad or "not giving an effort" as some other posters.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Some guys always self motivate. Some guys rarely self motivate. Sometimes guys occasionally need some extra motivation. Not everything is about being good or bad.

Even during games I know if I go up to a kid that I had to bench for loofing and tell him I need him to give me a good shift he will almost always give 100% on his next shift.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
He's skating like Pirri from what I can see. Very light on his skates. Easily pushed off pucks. Slow. Does not look at all like he did before the injury. It's concerning

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

I definitely agree with this.

He was much more authoritative in what he did before he got hurt.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think letting Buch rest here and there certainly isnt a bad thing. The NHL is a different game than the KHL. There is absolutely more wear and tear over the course of a season

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think Buch has been struggling a bit, he has been losing a lot of puck battles, hasn't been making crisp passes, and not nearly as authoritative as Rasp said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad