Rangers drop into bottom 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

InTheShift

Jul 24, 2002
Steve Latin said:
Calling Pittsburgh fans out is totally ignorant, and IMO qualifies as trolling. Do you live in Pittsburgh? Do you understand the economic situation here? Do you understand the arena situation here? My guess is the answer to all those questions is "No".S L

Do you live in NY? Do you understand the economic situation there? You can sit back and proclaim that all New Yorkers are stuck up "rich city-folk" but all you do is show your ignorance of the situation and your own obvious trolling.

This tread is suposed to be about the picking order in the draft. I'm sick to death with all of the Ranger bashers and Leaf bashers that are out there taking any opportunity to flame away.

Steve Latin*

Mobis13 said:
Do you live in NY? Do you understand the economic situation there? You can sit back and proclaim that all New Yorkers are stuck up "rich city-folk" but all you do is show your ignorance of the situation and your own obvious trolling.

This tread is suposed to be about the picking order in the draft. I'm sick to death with all of the Ranger bashers and Leaf bashers that are out there taking any opportunity to flame away.

I didn't proclaim that New Yorkers are stuck up "rich city-folk". I did say that there's more of them population-wise, and in particular there's more who are financially-able to attend hockey games without breaking the bank. I don't think that's like some big assumption or revelation. This is all common sense.

What situation am I ignorant of? Did the city go into bankruptcy? Has it been undergoing massive layoffs of city employees such as firefighters and its police force? Are these individuals in the same financial demographic as most of the fans at MSG? Is NYC in the same financial crisis of, oh, let's say, PITTSBURGH? What exactly am I missing here?

S L

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Latin*

Mobis13 said:

BTW, I am not a "Ranger basher" or a "Leaf basher", but I'm obligated to respond to ignorant comments trashing the Pittsburgh fan base while exalting that of the Rangers.It's clearly an "apple-and-oranges" scenario.

S L

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
EroCaps said:
April. 6th? how?

day of the draft lottery

I would be supremely pissed. But thats because that means the hawks didnt win it :p

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Dark Metamorphosis said:
did ottawa really tank though? they were really really horrible for a few years...they deserved the top pick.

they tanked the last game to ensure they would finish with the worst record. i believe if they got 1 point in the last game(against Boston) they would have lost out on drafting Daigle. they lost and the rest is history regarding Daigle

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Steve Latin said:
Calling Pittsburgh fans out is totally ignorant, and IMO qualifies as trolling. Do you live in Pittsburgh? Do you understand the economic situation here? Do you understand the arena situation here? My guess is the answer to all those questions is "No".

Then you people have the nerve to compare NYC to Pittsburgh. Give me a break. There's *so* many more people in NYC with *so* much more money. Hell, even if you take the fans out of it, the luxury boxes used by businessmen to entertain clients could probably single-handedly pay for the entire Pens roster. We don't have as thriving a business community in Pittsburgh, nor do we have an incredibly large fan base. What we do have is a lot of devouted fans that are plucking down their hard earned cash to see a team with the worst record in the NHL play meaningless games in a crumbling arena. We also have a lot of fans who can't afford to go to the games and watch them on TV, which makes Pittsburgh one of the largest local hockey-viewing markets in the country.

So, if you want to, blame the Penguins financial woes on the fact that Pittsburgh is a blue-collar town where you're more likely to bump into a steelworker than some ******* investment banker. Blame the city's dwindling population and young people who move away to Philly, D.C., and (yes) NYC. But don't go and call out the fans that care. There is no question in my mind that the average Pittsburgh loves hockey a lot more than the average New Yorker, who would prefer to spend the day at Moma than to see the Rangers.

S L

so why shouldn't the Pens be moved again?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Teemu08 said:
day of the draft lottery

I would be supremely pissed. But thats because that means the hawks didnt win it :p

You're going to have stiff competition, and if you've ever heard McPhee interviewed, I do mean "stiff".

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
In terms of fan support? Hurricanes, Predators, Caps, Ducks, Panthers are all, IMO, worse markets than Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

Steve Latin*

Profet said:
so why shouldn't the Pens be moved again?

They could be moved. But it's not for lack of fan support. It's for:
* a lack of money in the local economy
* the lack of a new arena
* a terrible CBA that allows idiotic teams like the Rangers to dictate the going price of players for the rest of the league.

S L

Steve Latin*

This is completely off topic, but I sure am amused by how many Rangers fans have switched to Rangers/Leafs avatars.

Why not root for your own team rather than jump on someone else's playoff bandwagon?

S L

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
What a load of nonsense.

The penguins do not have a devine right to the #1 pick, the rules are there and if the blueshirts get it then its fair and square.

I don't see how the Penguins "deserve" it just because they suck the most. I understand there are economic constraints etc but crap happens. The thing about Ovechkin for me is that if he signed with the Rags it would actually probably be good for the league, they could talk about the next superstar all the time and maybe help that bloody TV contract.

st_roland

Chalk me up on the Pens side of the argument here. What happened with the Rangers sickens me, and it sickened a lot of Rangers fans as well. If they get the no.1 pick though, it will be fair. The Rangers have really sucked for awhile, and if they land ovechkin, it probably will be good for hockey.

st_roland

Jacobv2 said:
In terms of fan support? Hurricanes, Predators, Caps, Ducks, Panthers are all, IMO, worse markets than Pittsburgh.

Totally agree, even though i'm a caps fan. I think as soon as the Pens ice anything resembling a winner, they will start selling out and ownership will be making a TON of money. Especially when they get their own arena. The memory of you guys coming back on us year after year in the playoffs still stings, but I hate to see a team do so badly.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
st_roland said:
Totally agree, even though i'm a caps fan. I think as soon as the Pens ice anything resembling a winner, they will start selling out and ownership will be making a TON of money. Especially when they get their own arena. The memory of you guys coming back on us year after year in the playoffs still stings, but I hate to see a team do so badly.

Roland we have the sixth largest market in North America. We have the fans, just not the performance. How else does a fanbase voice it's displeasure? Everyone hated watching Jagr, Lang, Gonchar, and co. fart around last season, and it showed in playoff attendance.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Are you guys sure the draft lottery is April 6? At noon? Yikes...that soon....less than a month now. He can NOT go to the Rangers....that would be the worst place to go. Absolute prima donnas. Nope, I think Columbus would be the best place for him to go. Or Chicago. Ovechkin said he's not afraid of Sutter. Pittsburg wouldn't be the worst place in the world, but man...they really stink. They seem to work hard but they really have nothing. It's sad to see them lose so often, though they finally got three wins recently. April 6.........

InTheShift

Jul 24, 2002
Steve Latin said:
This is completely off topic, but I sure am amused by how many Rangers fans have switched to Rangers/Leafs avatars.

Why not root for your own team rather than jump on someone else's playoff bandwagon?

S L

There is nothing bandwagon about it. We are merely supporting the best defenceman ever to wear a broadway blueshirt.

Bure9*

Steve Latin said:

S L

Why don't you think before you post. It's for Leetch. Someone ban him for stupidity.

st_roland

Foppa_Rules said:
Are you guys sure the draft lottery is April 6? At noon? Yikes...that soon....less than a month now. He can NOT go to the Rangers....that would be the worst place to go. Absolute prima donnas. Nope, I think Columbus would be the best place for him to go. Or Chicago. Ovechkin said he's not afraid of Sutter. Pittsburg wouldn't be the worst place in the world, but man...they really stink. They seem to work hard but they really have nothing. It's sad to see them lose so often, though they finally got three wins recently. April 6.........

Why do you mention Columbus? Having three elite young talents would certainly be cool, do you think their combined star power would promote hockey to middle america?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad