Confirmed with Link: Rangers Claim Roman Hamrlik

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Speaking of wastes of roster spots, Aaron Asham has had the world's longest bout with back spasms. No decision will be made on Bickel until he and/or Brad Richards is back in the lineup.

Positive note for now is we'll likely never see Bickel on defense again.

Yeah but one more injury and ...he's back.

Knockin on wood.....

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Speaking of wastes of roster spots, Aaron Asham has had the world's longest bout with back spasms. No decision will be made on Bickel until he and/or Brad Richards is back in the lineup.

Asham seems to be the forgotten man. At some point, I would think that Slats and Co would realize that the pugilist role needs to be filled by a younger player. That's why I think that Prust is still so revered around here. It's not that he was a remarkable player. He was just very good at what he does and he was in his prime.

Brashear, Boogaard, Rupp, and now Asham.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Coming from someone with a bit of a back injury right now, "tightness" or "spasms" can last a while and it normally takes rest and manipulation to get everything back to where it should be. And then you are out of shape and need to get back to working out. Back injuries are tricky.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Asham seems to be the forgotten man. At some point, I would think that Slats and Co would realize that the pugilist role needs to be filled by a younger player. That's why I think that Prust is still so revered around here. It's not that he was a remarkable player. He was just very good at what he does and he was in his prime.

Brashear, Boogaard, Rupp, and now Asham.

Yep. That's why I was happy to see Haley brought in. Same goes for Mashinter.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't know.

Haley seems like an *******. Like Avery kinda *******.

Mashinter looked like a nonfactor.

Mashinter looked like he was afraid to do anything. Torts mentioned some kids come in looking to make a difference and others look like they are still trying to feel their way through it. Mashinter has some skills, he just wasn't overly confident in what he was doing yet.

Haley is a pot stirrer for sure but he also is an effective forechecker and a pain in the ass to play against. He looks like he wants to make a difference IMO. Prust was great at knowing when to stir the pot and when to sit back and play a smart game. I think, given some time, Haley could do likewise.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I haven't seen anything from Mashinter to believe he's got the chops to fill that role.

I have seen so many people say this already. What would you think of Kreider if we went off of 4 games of his play when he was called up this season? The same thing. Not saying they are on the same planet talent-wise, but the guy looked tentative more than lacking in skill. I think we will see him again this season.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Wasn't terrible in his first showing. You could definitely see that his footspeed is an issue... Tripped over himself pretty bad making a pass out from behind the net. But if he can just play positionally sound, let the play come to him and stay solid in front he is still better than Bickel IMO

He would be getting torn apart if it was him who got beat by Grabner on that breakaway and not Eminger. Holy god did he turn the jets on. I dont think anyone but McDonagh could have had even a remote chance of catching up on that one.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I have seen so many people say this already. What would you think of Kreider if we went off of 4 games of his play when he was called up this season? The same thing. Not saying they are on the same planet talent-wise, but the guy looked tentative more than lacking in skill. I think we will see him again this season.

I fail to see the correlation.

The biggest thing a pugilist needs is the will to do his job. Didn't see that with Mashinter. And I don't see the skating ability to be a consistent physical player.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

The biggest thing a pugilist needs is the will to do his job. Didn't see that with Mashinter. And I don't see the skating ability to be a consistent physical player.

He attempted to go with Prust a couple of times in the Montreal game. I think he was fearful of taking a penalty honestly. His skating was better than Bickel's, that's for sure and he actually has decent hands and protected the puck well on the forecheck. He showed some flashes of being a good 4th liner I thought.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
He attempted to go with Prust a couple of times in the Montreal game. I think he was fearful of taking a penalty honestly. His skating was better than Bickel's, that's for sure and he actually has decent hands and protected the puck well on the forecheck. He showed some flashes of being a good 4th liner I thought.

His skating is better than Bickel's doesn't say much of anything.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I saw very little.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I agree with many here that Haley has shades of Prust in him. I think he has played very smart while not getting caught out of position and timing his hits. And also him playing smart is different than how Mashinter played tentative and/or scared.

16 To Stanley*

Kreider is a top prospect. Mashinter has already played some time in the NHL and has been off-cast by other teams.

He looked terrible in the few games he was here for. Kreider didn't look great, but at least he had moments. Mashinter's only moments were ones that were ****ing us over.

Haley is a much better option than him at this point. I really liked what Asham was doing also. Hope he comes back soon.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
He was solid for this first try with us, I think once he's down with the guys here he will get better too. A least a bit cause then he'll know the system.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Kreider is a top prospect. Mashinter has already played some time in the NHL and has been off-cast by other teams.

He looked terrible in the few games he was here for. Kreider didn't look great, but at least he had moments. Mashinter's only moments were ones that were ****ing us over.

Haley is a much better option than him at this point. I really liked what Asham was doing also. Hope he comes back soon.

He played 5 minutes a night. If Kreider was not hyped and no one knew who he was people would not be as defensive of him as they are. That's all I am saying. Mashinter does not get that benefit of the doubt.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
He was solid for this first try with us, I think once he's down with the guys here he will get better too. A least a bit cause then he'll know the system.

I admit, he looked fine out there.

If he plays like that I'll surely eat crow on this one.

Funny that RH is on our team after all these years. He was drafted in my eligible year, 1992. I never met him but around the prospect circles back then his nickname was 'Hamrlik of the Gods'. Great to see a guy born just a month after me can still play. I'm pretty good for my age too, might have tp place a call to Slats. I won't require waivers right?

16 To Stanley*

He played 5 minutes a night. If Kreider was not hyped and no one knew who he was people would not be as defensive of him as they are. That's all I am saying. Mashinter does not get that benefit of the doubt.

My point is, why should Mashinter. Kreider is a top prospect. He has earned that with his previous play and even more so, his play in last years playoffs.

Mashinter hasn't done anything to earn that right.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Torts had an interesting comment on JT Miller last night - "hes trying to make a difference out there"

Being scared to make a mistake is no excuse - putting the blame on Tortorella for creating that kind of timid/poor play is even more bizarre. He wants guys to go out there and make a difference. Being "scared to make a mistake" translates to me that they're either unwilling or unable to get the job done at this level.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

And he shouldn't. Kreider has upside and the organization is committed to developing him. Not sure why you're so intent in bringing Kreider into this conversation when the two are in two completely different situation.

One organization has as already quit on Mashinter. And when he suited up here, I saw no urgency in his play.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
And he shouldn't. Kreider has upside and the organization is committed to developing him. Not sure why you're so intent in bringing Kreider into this conversation when the two are in two completely different situation.

One organization has as already quit on Mashinter. And when he suited up here, I saw no urgency in his play.

My point is, why should Mashinter. Kreider is a top prospect. He has earned that with his previous play and even more so, his play in last years playoffs.

Mashinter hasn't done anything to earn that right.

Neither of you got what I was saying. :laugh:

What I was saying is that it is not uncommon for a young player to come up and try to play it safe. See Kreider as an example. See Hagelin at last years TC.

It doesn't mean they are crap. It just means they need a bit more time to work on their confidence and knowing what they have to do to be successful every shift.

16 To Stanley*

Ah, I don't remember that. Either way, Grabner with his speed will make even great defensemen look foolish from time to time. It's inevitable.

If Eminger was more mobile he'd be a top four defender. But he's not. He's a bottom pairing guy, and in that role he does a good job. It would be great if we had six defenders capable of legitimate top four minutes, but who has that? You play with the guys you have, and Eminger is just fine, IMO.

Just to add--I've been a fan of Eminger since we acquired him. I remember the thread, people saying he was the worst defender in the league. Ridiculous. Outside his first handful of games with the team, he has been solid and a damn good soldier. I never understood why Torts would play guys like Stu Bickel and Jeff Woywitka ahead of him.

I feel the same way about the bolded. I just don't understand why Bickel or Woywitka or even Gilroy were ever in over him.

He has been steady since he got here and is an ideal #6

16 To Stanley*

Neither of you got what I was saying. :laugh:

What I was saying is that it is not uncommon for a young player to come up and try to play it safe. See Kreider as an example. See Hagelin at last years TC.

It doesn't mean they are crap. It just means they need a bit more time to work on their confidence and knowing what they have to do to be successful every shift.

Playing it safe is one thing. Hagelin played it safe, but still contributed. Mashinter may have tried to play it safe, but imo, he cost us a game and was crap on nearly every shift.

You can't be crap in the NHL for a few games and expect to keep getting chances, especially on a team that is supposed to be one of the best in the league and has other choices to fill that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad