Confirmed with Link: Rangers Claim Roman Hamrlik

Vickers8

Hamrlik played poised and logged 15:48, when Staal comes back Hammer will be a solid 6th d-man

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Emminger was standing still last night on the grabner and was looking really bad. He shold have taken a penalty there imo and take the guy down. This was just embarrassing. So I do not agree he is a good fill in I personally rather see Gilroy.

Eminger was with his man in front of the net. Nash was skating around like a chicken with his head cut off, and Hagelin was floating along the side boards. That goal isn't on Eminger. If he tried to move out to cover the slot his man would have been wide open, uncontested in front of Lundqvist.

Vickers8

Eminger was with his man in front of the net. Nash was skating around like a chicken with his head cut off, and Hagelin was floating along the side boards. That goal isn't on Eminger. If he tried to move out to cover the slot his man would have been wide open, uncontested in front of Lundqvist.

I think he's talking about when grabner raced up the left wing and went around Em like he was standing still, Hank saved him though...

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

Agreed. I thought Eminger has played well.

I didn't even notice Hamrlik, which is probably a good thing.

And I don't know if its been mentioned but #40 is a goalies number, wtf?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think he's talking about when grabner raced up the left wing and went around Em like he was standing still, Hank saved him though...

Ah, I don't remember that. Either way, Grabner with his speed will make even great defensemen look foolish from time to time. It's inevitable.

If Eminger was more mobile he'd be a top four defender. But he's not. He's a bottom pairing guy, and in that role he does a good job. It would be great if we had six defenders capable of legitimate top four minutes, but who has that? You play with the guys you have, and Eminger is just fine, IMO.

Just to add--I've been a fan of Eminger since we acquired him. I remember the thread, people saying he was the worst defender in the league. Ridiculous. Outside his first handful of games with the team, he has been solid and a damn good soldier. I never understood why Torts would play guys like Stu Bickel and Jeff Woywitka ahead of him.

Vickers8

Agreed. I thought Eminger has played well.

I didn't even notice Hamrlik, which is probably a good thing.

And I don't know if its been mentioned but #40 is a goalies number, wtf?

I like Em but he's so slowwwwww, at least Gilly can skate, Hammer is slow too, can't put 2 slow guys together. It's all academic when Staal comes back anyway, it's hammer's spot...

Vickers8

Ah, I don't remember that. Either way, Grabner with his speed will make even great defensemen look foolish from time to time. It's inevitable.

It was an ugly play and he never moved he went passed him like he was a statue, I'll have to disagree with you I'd rather see Gilroy

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It was an ugly play and he never moved he went passed him like he was a statue, I'll have to disagree with you I'd rather see Gilroy

Fair enough, to each his own. Gilroy has been okay this year. I'm just haunted by memories of his past play where he looked like a Junior B defenseman.

Vickers8

Fair enough, to each his own. Gilroy has been okay this year. I'm just haunted by memories of his past play where he looked like a Junior B defenseman.

I hear you, but I think he's matured a little, both of them provide good depth though, the spot when Staal comes back will be Hammer's

Osminator

Dec 28, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Staal, McD, Girardi, Del Zotto, Stralman (in no particular order) are a strong 5-man Dmen unit... I think Hamrlik really was this #6 the NYR were looking for... #7 IMO is Gilroy because of his skating ability and ability to handle the puck, #8 is a tie between Bickel (who is more of a forward nowadays anyway) and Eminger (slooooooooow).

I really see Eminger going down to the CT Whale on a permanent basis sooner or later. Always had a soft spot for him, but he's no longer a top 6 guy.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hamrlik looked good last night. You could tell he was a bit out of shape. Torts even said so in his post-game interview. He will be a solid #5/6 for this team and he is so calm with the puck.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Staal, McD, Girardi, Del Zotto, Stralman (in no particular order) are a strong 5-man Dmen unit... I think Hamrlik really was this #6 the NYR were looking for... #7 IMO is Gilroy because of his skating ability and ability to handle the puck, #8 is a tie between Bickel (who is more of a forward nowadays anyway) and Eminger (slooooooooow).

I really see Eminger going down to the CT Whale on a permanent basis sooner or later. Always had a soft spot for him, but he's no longer a top 6 guy.

We'd have to waive him for that to happen, and I'd bet that someone claims him. He's a serviceable, cheap bottom pairing defender. Bickel can be sent down without being exposed to waivers, no?

Either way, I think you're right in that Hammer is the #6 when Staal returns. Even if he maintains his level of play from last night (I'd expect him to improve as he rounds into game shape), he's still an upgrade over Bickel/Gilroy/Eminger.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I was very comfortable with Hamrlik on the ice. Another player that I wanted to as a Ranger in his prime. I think Hamrlik even had a calming presence on Eminger last night. Eminger seemed much more settled.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
We'd have to waive him for that to happen, and I'd bet that someone claims him. He's a serviceable, cheap bottom pairing defender. Bickel can be sent down without being exposed to waivers, no?

Either way, I think you're right in that Hammer is the #6 when Staal returns. Even if he maintains his level of play from last night (I'd expect him to improve as he rounds into game shape), he's still an upgrade over Bickel/Gilroy/Eminger.

Bickel would require waivers as well.

Honestly, until Asham and Staal get back there is no reason to send anyone down. However, when they do come back and if there aren't any other injuries, someone will have to go down. Too many bodies. IMO, I would rather see Haley out there than Bickel on a nightly basis at forward.

I think one of Eminger/Gilroy will be sent down and exposed. Torts likes Bickel and he seems to developing into this teams new Strudwick (which I have labeled as his upside for a couple of years now). The guy will go through a wall for his teammates and can play limited minutes on defense or offense. Versatility is key in this new NHL especially when it comes to spare players.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Solid game last night. agree that his skating was poor, but he was sold defensively.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
For a guy who hasn't played, who's first game came in a rivalry game, I thought he was good. Confident in what he was doing. I don't think you can overstate the importance of a vet on the back-end. They missed that last year in the playoffs.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
For a guy who hasn't played, who's first game came in a rivalry game, I thought he was good. Confident in what he was doing. I don't think you can overstate the importance of a vet on the back-end. They missed that last year in the playoffs.

I may get blasted for this but did anyone get the Rozsival feel from him last night minus the boneheaded mistakes? They seem like similar players

Vickers8

Logged 15:48 also, which gave the front 4 some rest

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I may get blasted for this but did anyone get the Rozsival feel from him last night minus the boneheaded mistakes? They seem like similar players

Not really. But the non-alarmist saw Rozsival (and Malik) for what they were. Decent defensemen who were asked to do more than they should have been asked to do and the few mistakes overshadowed the majority of their play which was solid but unspectacular.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Not really. But the non-alarmist saw Rozsival (and Malik) for what they were. Decent defensemen who were asked to do more than they should have been asked to do and the few mistakes overshadowed the majority of their play which was solid but unspectacular.

Well that is what I am talking about. Solid, a bit slow-footed, plays solid positional defense. Good stickwork, good shot, smart 2-way defenseman.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Well that is what I am talking about. Solid, a bit slow-footed, plays solid positional defense. Good stickwork, good shot, smart 2-way defenseman.

He's slow footed because he's not in game shape and is 38. Thankfully, all he needs to do is fill a bottom pair role (again, unlike Rozsival).

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Agreed. Its super important. Hes seen a lot over the course of 1,400 NHL games. There may be a lot of issues he has to deal with at 38 years old, but panicking wont be one of them.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Please, just please, let this be the end of Mr. Bickel. The guy is a complete waste of a roster spot, and in my opinion has been outplayed by everyone who has gotten a chance at the #6 spot this year.

He looks even worse as a forward. I still cannot understand why he is still on the roster. There always has to be one head scratcher though, I guess.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Please, just please, let this be the end of Mr. Bickel. The guy is a complete waste of a roster spot, and in my opinion has been outplayed by everyone who has gotten a chance at the #6 spot this year.

He looks even worse as a forward. I still cannot understand why he is still on the roster. There always has to be one head scratcher though, I guess.

Speaking of wastes of roster spots, Aaron Asham has had the world's longest bout with back spasms. No decision will be made on Bickel until he and/or Brad Richards is back in the lineup.

Positive note for now is we'll likely never see Bickel on defense again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad