Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Islanders - December 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
So in the third period last night, we were technically missing three Top 6 players and our leading goal scorer. And Puempel.

Fun.

Any team missing that much depth won't score a ton of goals. Which is why the D and Hank need to be better. Skjei/Klein/Girardi weren't good tonight, and neither was Hank.

Last edited:

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Spineless/gutless effort . Glad we had that 4 minute PP after the flagrant highstick...we could have done as much in two though and had some sort of payback ....might have made the new guy feel better knowing somebody had his back on this team . When teams do not stand up for one another...every other team will take notice...

The team doctor needs to perform a BALL check....as this team has none . Tanner Glass is not needed....17 guys could have dealt with that at some point . FFS...we let ourselves be manhandled by a cellar dweller and our cross town rivals. :rant:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Rangers don't play well vs the Islanders in recent years. Also like 4-5 guys are out now. When the third line is Lindberg centering Pirri and Fast you know you're in trouble. Once guys start getting back this will pass, but it shows that the depth isn't the depth we thought. Gorton needs to add more for the stretch run without gutting the system even more.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Spineless/gutless effort . Glad we had that 4 minute PP after the flagrant highstick...we could have done as much in two though and had some sort of payback ....might have made the new guy feel better knowing somebody had his back on this team . When teams do not stand up for one another...every other team will take notice...

The team doctor needs to perform a BALL check....as this team has none . Tanner Glass is not needed....17 guys could have dealt with that at some point . FFS...we let ourselves be manhandled by a cellar dweller and our cross town rivals. :rant:

Gutless? What game were you watching? They dominated the islanders. That sure felt like a lopsided game. The big difference was their goalie was spectacular and ours was atrocious.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Rangers don't play well vs the Islanders in recent years. Also like 4-5 guys are out now. When the third line is Lindberg centering Pirri and Fast you know you're in trouble. Once guys start getting back this will pass, but it shows that the depth isn't the depth we thought. Gorton needs to add more for the stretch run without gutting the system even more.

Any team that gets hit with these injuries is going to have similar lineups. You're not going to be able to have top 9 guys waiting in the wings ready to jump in when guys get hurt. The Rangers forward depth is phenomenal but when your top forward, arguably top center, top 9 winger, another depth forward all get hurt along with your leading goal scorer being away from the team, this will happen. Not to mention who knows if Jooris and Lindberg are 100% healthy themselves.

JanErixon20

Aug 7, 2007

Gutless? What game were you watching? They dominated the islanders. That sure felt like a lopsided game. The big difference was their goalie was spectacular and ours was atrocious.

Seriously, what did you want? They had like 10 shots on that 4 minute power play. Halak turned into Patrick Roy. Did you want them to jump Nelson? This isn't 1970s hockey. I get you want to rant but....wrong rant.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Don't you think that it would be a little too coincidental if his down season comes at age 34 and isn't about his age?

But his issues don't seem to be physical, they are mental. 1st goal his positioning was off. That's a mental mistake. 3rd goal he went for a poke check he never should have gone for in a situation that wasn't dangerous. Another mental mistake. The 1st goal in Buffalo... mental. Etc....

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
On the bright side, they've been doing better fundamentally in the defensive zone. The forwards have been in better positioning to receive outlet passes from the d with another forward being available to get another touch pass from there. They need to maintain that structure and get healthy again.

We really can't forget how good this team is with its 12 healthy forwards.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We're not far off right now.
A team that is only capable of playing pond hockey is further away than you think. It may not be such a horrid idea that the all skill team that AV has envisioned is not working. Yes there are injuries, but like it or not, the mix may need to be changed. Which means more of the assortment that a faction on this board hates. Players who can be plumbers. Maybe it is not that awful to deliver a hit every now and then. Or win a battle in a corner. Of clear the net.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
A team that is only capable of playing pond hockey is further away than you think. It may not be such a horrid idea that the all skill team that AV has envisioned is not working. Yes there are injuries, but like it or not, the mix may need to be changed. Which means more of the assortment that a faction on this board hates. Players who can be plumbers. Maybe it is not that awful to deliver a hit every now and then. Or win a battle in a corner. Of clear the net.

Sarcasm mode on....Oh MY....don't even suggest that True Blue....don't you know how many shots we had on the PP? What game did you watch ? LOL...sarcasm mode off....LOL......yes...the mix needs to be changed very soon . A lot here prefer the Rec hockey though with almost no hitting . We seriously need a Kunitz/Hornqvist duo of sorts .....a lot here just don't get that...and likely never will for that matter . :popcorn:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Also...

...if only one person (Pirri) is shooting the puck on a 6-on-3, you're doing something wrong.

Need Zibanejad back on the point, even though he shoots wide half the time. Need Buchnevich out there to not flub the puck and spend 4 seconds settling the puck to play it or shoot it like Miller did last night.

We also need to not spend ~40 seconds holding onto the puck when it's a delayed penalty. Let. Them. Touch. Up. We weren't even in their end taking shots or anything that entire time. We had to leave the zone twice to just get the puck.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
In the grand scheme of things i agree....but last night was about henrik...

I also agree. We have issues but Hank was bad last night. Whether the first goal was a deflection or not, he was still really out of position.

Halak saved the Islanders. This was the rare occasion where a goaltender decided a game and for once it wasn't ours. If Halak played as poorly as Hank we would have won this game with 6-7 goals.

Blueshirtforlife*

Dec 2, 2016
We missing Buch, Zib, Grab still? Missing Nash for a lot of the game?

Call me when the injuries are healed and the team's had some time together again and if they still keep losing and looking bad we'll talk.

Hank's not good enough. I'm not very down on him yet though.

I also get to enjoy as nevesis' blind quest to defend any and everything involving Hank goes down in flames. Plenty of folks have gotten into it with me because I thought their posts on hank were ridiculous in how critical they were. Gee whiz Nevesis, too much in the other direction.

How about if the injuries don't stop and the goaltending doesn't improve this team will not be in the playoffs! Look at the standings

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
Fellas let's think things thru here and not be so emotional and let's try and be be realistic here. :nod:

From your lips (keys?) to God's ears. When it comes to online posting/tweeting/commenting in general, if there was like a 10 minute rule where you had to think about something before actually posting it, we'd prob all be better off.

Rangers have had several games where they were outplayed and won. Last night the opposite happened. A condensed schedule, key injuries and some team's starting to figure us out means we were due to correct.

I think it's a good thing. Forces the team to learn different ways to win. How awful would it be if we dominated until March, then all of a sudden teams figured us out and we limped into the playoffs w/ a first round exit?

I'll take adversity in Nov/Dec any day. It'll make us a better team.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In the grand scheme of things i agree....but last night was about henrik...
Not denying that. But I also continue to see the same issues. Granted, if any one person deserves the biggest goat horns for last night it is Henke. But the same issues in front of him are recurring whether or not he makes the saves.

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
Just look how well it turned out last year.

Apples and oranges. We looked terrible out of the gate last year. Both eye test and stats showed it didn't match our record.

This year, we didn't just have a top record in hockey, we LOOKED like a top team. I thinks its a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad