Post-Game Talk: Rangers at Islanders - December 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
He's been VERY good since settling in. Easily our second best defenseman, which isn't saying much, but, still, he's been a pleasant surprise.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vegas took him TBH.

I mean I didn't think he was awful when signed and I said that, but I had fits of rage with some of his stuff early on

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I'm not feeling great about the team right now, but I'm keeping my sanity for one reason: no one expected us to be any good this year. Gorton did what most of us wanted to in the offseason: get younger, bigger, faster, and more talented. We have a young group. If we were a team more in LA's age group, for example, I'd be pretty depressed about the team, but we're in the retooling process right now. We're not far off right now. Buy out Girardi in the offseason, add a righty D and were a legit team.

Hank is a big problem though. He's been BAD.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm not feeling great about the team right now, but I'm keeping my sanity for one reason: no one expected us to be any good this year. Gorton did what most of us wanted to in the offseason: get younger, bigger, faster, and more talented. We have a young group. If we were a team more in LA's age group, for example, I'd be pretty depressed about the team, but we're in the retooling process right now. We're not far off right now. Buy out Girardi in the offseason, add a righty D and were a legit team.

Hank is a big problem though. He's been BAD.

Shestyrokin is coming. That's going to be bonza.

My only concern is how long we stubbornly hang onto Hank thinking he's still 25.

Blueshirtforlife*

Dec 2, 2016
When can this Shesty kid get here? 2 more years?

Also it's comical how after the first period tonight Valiquette again absolved Lundqvist of any blame on either goal. What a clown

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Fellas let's think things thru here and not be so emotional and let's try and be be realistic here. We are missing 2 of our top 6 fwds for going on 2 weeks now. Tonight we lost another one of our top 6 and who knows how long Nash will be out. Our "4th line" is AHL calibre and it can be argued that one of member of the 3rd line could be in Hartford as well if we were fully healthy. Of the six guys on defense we have one guy for sure(Klein) and possibly two(Staal or Girardi) who night after night we don't know if they will be competenant enough to give us meaningful minutes. Our HOF goaltender has been maddingy inconsistant and yet we somehow are playing .500 hockey since the hockey gods decided to screw with us.

And yet we are still 2nd in the conference and every other team that is on our level has as many warts as we do and most of them are healthy. Once we get our guys back, I have not a doubt we will be fine. This team is no matter how inconsistant we've been in the past few weeks, is still a much better team than any of the "experts" predicted we would be before the season began which if I recall correctly was a "bubble team". When we get our walking wounded back, we should be fine. All we need to do is play close to .500 hockey and if we can do so till the Buch's and Zibs comes back, we'll be in great shape and ready for a long playoff run.

Not sure if any of y'all have watched the other teams in our conference but most of them have alot more issues to deal with than we do. Once we are healthy again, I have no doubt we will start to play more consistently and these main contenders of ours will once again fear us and not want anything to do with us. Oh and that's not too mention, I have full confidence in Gorton to make a move for a dman to help that part of the puzzle.

So maybe some of y'all may think I'm in lala land but it's still way early and that cushion we gave ourselves will start to bear fruit beginning now. Relax my brothers. We are still in excellent shape going forward...we just need our walking wounded to come back and send our AHL guys back where they belong...Hartford...:nod:

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Went to the game. Seemed like the Rangers had tons of grade A chances that were either blocked or Halak stopped. Henrik has to be better. Simple as that. Halak stood tall for the Islanders especially on that 4 minute power play in the first.

Power play for the Rangers was phenomenal. Did everything right and it's a shame they weren't rewarded with a goal for it. Thought the Rangers had the better of the play for most of the night. Should be interesting to see if anyone gets recalled. Assuming Nash and Puempel won't play Thursday, they still have 12 forwards if you slot in Jooris and Grabner who should be back for the trip starting Thursday at least based on what has been said the past two days. They could call someone up I guess or maybe just roll 7 D for a game or two.

Last two minutes of the game were a disaster. Between not giving up the puck for 30 seconds on the delayed penalty and setting up for a perfect play with less than a minute and down 2 goals....ugh.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Yea Maximus I said when the injury happened that .500 would be okay without Zib and Buch.

It's still fine but it sucks to actually see it in action, ya know. :laugh:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
He's 34, It's time to face reality.

This was going to happen sooner or later, it just happened a couple years sooner than everyone expected.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that Hank "slowing" has anything to do with the poor play. It looks like one of the many, many bad stretches he has had here throughout his career.

Now, because of his age, a bad stretch may, or may not, mean he is declining. But it shouldn't be treated as a certainty. Luongo is having a great year and there is no more comparable goalie to Lundqvist in the league.

That said, I'll be the first person to call for starting the hot goalie. Ego means nothing to me if you aren't performing.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I haven't seen anything to indicate that Hank "slowing" has anything to do with the poor play. It looks like one of the many, many bad stretches he has had here throughout his career.

Now, because of his age, a bad stretch may, or may not, mean he is declining. But it shouldn't be treated as a certainty. Luongo is having a great year and there is no more comparable goalie to Lundqvist in the league.

That said, I'll be the first person to call for starting the hot goalie. Ego means nothing to me if you aren't performing.

Even if you forget last season I don't remember a stretch like this in his career save for maybe 13-14. But that was 3 years ago. He had a tough stretch in 06-07 that lasted a while but he was in his sophomore season. This is not his one bad stretch, it's been from the beginning of the season.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Even if you forget last season I don't remember a stretch like this in his career save for maybe 13-14. But that was 3 years ago. He had a tough stretch in 06-07 that lasted a while but he was in his sophomore season. This is not his one bad stretch, it's been from the beginning of the season.

I agree that it's been unusually bad. But there is a necessary but not sufficient problem here that age could be the reason but is not necessarily the reason.

Unless people can provide good evidence that age is the causal factor in this particular slump it's not convincing until things get totally out of hand. Hank's consistency has been unique, it could just be that it is finally time for a down season, age irrespective.

Keep all possibilities in mind.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
We missing Buch, Zib, Grab still? Missing Nash for a lot of the game?

Call me when the injuries are healed and the team's had some time together again and if they still keep losing and looking bad we'll talk.

Hank's not good enough. I'm not very down on him yet though.

I also get to enjoy as nevesis' blind quest to defend any and everything involving Hank goes down in flames. Plenty of folks have gotten into it with me because I thought their posts on hank were ridiculous in how critical they were. Gee whiz Nevesis, too much in the other direction.

Open Mind

Nov 14, 2014

I am a HUGE Lundqvist supporter/fan, but he has not been sharp this season. Particularly compared to his typical standard of play. I don't even think it's age, it seems to be mental. Now we can sit here and find reasons why a given goal by any goalie wasn't their fault. But we never really had to do this in Hank's career. Because he didn't just make the saves he should've, he routinely also made many beyond that, screens and deflections included. He is not doing these things this season: he isn't remotely close. Is it possible he is not playing well when the only people in disagreement with this seem to be you and Valiquette?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Maybe months with Nash - someone was physical with him?
We need glass in the lineup no doubts.

Hrivik performance and puck control was poor, and the Islanders took advantage of that and scored.

Last edited:

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We missing Buch, Zib, Grab still? Missing Nash for a lot of the game?

Call me when the injuries are healed and the team's had some time together again and if they still keep losing and looking bad we'll talk.

Hank's not good enough. I'm not very down on him yet though.

I also get to enjoy as nevesis' blind quest to defend any and everything involving Hank goes down in flames. Plenty of folks have gotten into it with me because I thought their posts on hank were ridiculous in how critical they were. Gee whiz Nevesis, too much in the other direction.

Hopefully Tanner Glass and Grabner is back next game - the opposition have much more respect for the Rangers team when Glass is on the ice. And we need him to get offensive pressure near the boards, and his physical presence as well. We have so many soft players on this team. :)
Personally, I think we need a new coach and a new strategy and it start to move Nash, Klein, and Henrik, and follow the LA Kings plan. We need players with grit, size, physicality who is not afraid to dive to block a puck, or be a physical force out there. So tired of soft players who hide behind their girl friend in a bar brawl.

Pirri has been god awful in how many games now?
He need to sit and Tanner Glass need to be called up soon as possible with our long term list of injuries.

Last edited:

AKrangerfan

Apr 18, 2012
Anchorage
We outplayed the Islanders on the ice, lost the game in goal. Halak clearly outplayed Hank by a long shot. Switch goalies and we win this 7-1.
Something is going one mentally with Hank. He needs to get it together. I don't think it's his age or physical condition. Bennie and Hank need to figure it out. I would start giving Raanta more starts then he has been getting.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We outplayed the Islanders on the ice, lost the game in goal. Halak clearly outplayed Hank by a long shot. Switch goalies and we win this 7-1.
Something is going one mentally with Hank. He needs to get it together. I don't think it's his age or physical condition. Bennie and Hank need to figure it out. I would start giving Raanta more starts then he has been getting.

Is not a huge surprise - Halak is a better goalie at the moment.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I agree that it's been unusually bad. But there is a necessary but not sufficient problem here that age could be the reason but is not necessarily the reason.

Unless people can provide good evidence that age is the causal factor in this particular slump it's not convincing until things get totally out of hand. Hank's consistency has been unique, it could just be that it is finally time for a down season, age irrespective.

Keep all possibilities in mind.

Don't you think that it would be a little too coincidental if his down season comes at age 34 and isn't about his age?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
So i just watched the game(live in europe so cant watch every game live when they start 1 am here). We seriously need to trade for a rh defensemen. We just need a better right side defense if we are going to have a chance at the cup. We have some injuries on forward position now but we have alot of depth and we seriously need to make a trade to aquire a RH shot who can play with Mcdonagh( like Shatty, Trouba etc). No chance in hell we will compete in the playoffs without a better right side on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad