Post-Game Talk: Rangers 5 Oilers 3

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
Neither can score for beans though.

One at least works for his scoring chances and is hard on the back check. The other picks his spots and hopes to get a nice pass from McDavid. Remember the game vs Washington. McDavid and Puljujarvi fly down the ice McDavid sets him up hits the post and we end up scoring. If that was Eberle he holds up on the 2 on 1 and hopes McDavid can pass it to him. Completely different styles of players. But I know which one I'd want with Connor. Puljujarvi may not be ready yet. And just having a couple good games but it's still super obvious out there.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
It was. Nurse was 20 feet away.

/sarcasm.

With the full hysterical breakdowns in this place after the game, it's tough to tell what's sarcasm and what's not :laugh:.

Hopefully after getting that out of our collective system, HFOil can calmly reason about how to improve and move forward thinking about how we'll beat the Islanders.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
He was a #5-6 dman when he was drafted. You don't use a #7 overall pick on a #5-6 dman, he needs to step it up.

Not like hes topping out as a #5-6 D man...

Development is a marathon not a race. Nurses development compared to Monahans/Lindholms/Ristos will be interesting

All those 3 jumped straight to pro hockey right after the draft. Monahan took off in rookie year. Risto took 2 years before he exploded. But both were seen as heads and tails above Nurse. Nurse was returned to junior twice, did well and then made jump to NHL. He was in a bad spot and didnt do all that well. So people were really down on him and high on the other 2

Now we come to year 4 post draft and those guys are still heads above Nurse. But Monahan is playing pretty poor for Calgary and upside has been questioned by Flames fans. Risto is playing as #1 and looks great offensively but his defensive metrics and play have been questioned. Its a question as to whether both those guys are developing into one demensional players

meanwhile Nurse is far below them but his entire game is well rounded and being devleoped. It took 4 years and some road bumps. But we are starting to see something

In one or 2 years could Nurse catch and pass them? who knows. Just last year people were questioning if Nurse would ever even be a suitable bottom pairing D. Hes came a long way

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Yeah, especially on the GWG. Boy was Talbot pissed. Never heard him speak that way about his teammates 'til last night.

But he was hung out to dry multiple times. Even a saint would be firing back by now.

That wasn't Nurse. He absolutely destroyed Nash in the corner earlier in the third.

Or did you think you were being clever?

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
With the full hysterical breakdowns in this place after the game, it's tough to tell what's sarcasm and what's not :laugh:.

Hopefully after getting that out of our collective system, HFOil can calmly reason about how to improve and move forward thinking about how we'll beat the Islanders.

lol. This place is the funnest place ever! I've been an avid reader (not necessarily a poster) of epic HFboards meltdowns for years now!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
lol. This place is the funnest place ever! I've been an avid reader (not necessarily a poster) of epic HFboards meltdowns for years now!

It can be crazy, but it comes from a place of passion.

They need to give us something to believe in, I'm really hoping they have a monster game against the Islanders.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
It can be crazy, but it comes from a place of passion.

They need to give us something to believe in, I'm really hoping they have a monster game against the Islanders.

I've been a FANatic for a long time. Longer than some here have been alive. I'll tell you that when the Oilers were eliminated in 1991, I was in Florida with my folks and wouldn't come out of the trailer for 2 hours. I totally get it. As amusing as it is to me sometimes, I feel a kinship with all you crazy people!

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I've been a FANatic for a long time. Longer than some here have been alive. I'll tell you that when the Oilers were eliminated in 1991, I was in Florida with my folks and wouldn't come out of the trailer for 2 hours. I totally get it. As amusing as it is to me sometimes, I feel a kinship with all you crazy people!

i just wish people would stop throwing guys under the bus

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Rangers fan here, just wanted stop by and say that your team is electric and gave the Rangers their biggest challenge so far this season. Good luck and hope to see you guys in the playoffs!

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I gotta say I was on the "Rangers will collapse" bandwagon all this summer. But after seeing them this season I have jumped off that bandwagon with a thud. They look good. Theyve gotten a ton out of Nash and grabner. Then Vesey comes in with a bang. As a big market team they really have taken advantage of that in free agency. Theyve also made a number of smart moves. Ill gladly eat my crow.

I can see them going far this year and probably next. I am still wary of what will happen with Lundqvist when he declines. But by then I bet theyll find a replacement

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I gotta say I was on the "Rangers will collapse" bandwagon all this summer. But after seeing them this season I have jumped off that bandwagon with a thud. They look good. Theyve gotten a ton out of Nash and grabner. Then Vesey comes in with a bang. As a big market team they really have taken advantage of that in free agency. Theyve also made a number of smart moves. Ill gladly eat my crow.

I can see them going far this year and probably next. I am still wary of what will happen with Lundqvist when he declines. But by then I bet theyll find a replacement

Igor Shestyorkin is having one hell of a year in the KHL and he's only 20

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
He was a #5-6 dman when he was drafted. You don't use a #7 overall pick on a #5-6 dman, he needs to step it up.

Actually I think your analysis of Nurse at the time he was drafted was biggest bust in the draft. Remember how worried you were because Philly didn't have him on their draft board?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Igor Shestyorkin is having one hell of a year in the KHL and he's only 20

Yup. Damn im jelous of good drafting teams. By time hes 24 and ready to be a starter Lundqvist will be a solid back up goalie and great mentor

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Well its a real shame that he has peeked then and that he hasnt shown any signs of improvement from last season to now at all. Its so annoying that players dont develop after the age of 21, especially Dmen. I would have fully expected him to "step it up" and go from the 3rd pairing to start the season to be playing 25 minutes a night in all situations by now. He should have made the Russell signing and Larsson trades look like useless moves as he should be playing on both top pairings on his off side.

Seriously, he needs to step it up. :laugh:

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
One at least works for his scoring chances and is hard on the back check. The other picks his spots and hopes to get a nice pass from McDavid. Remember the game vs Washington. McDavid and Puljujarvi fly down the ice McDavid sets him up hits the post and we end up scoring. If that was Eberle he holds up on the 2 on 1 and hopes McDavid can pass it to him. Completely different styles of players. But I know which one I'd want with Connor. Puljujarvi may not be ready yet. And just having a couple good games but it's still super obvious out there.

I think Puli is one for sure that's built to play with Connor and expect them together as soon as he gets more comfortable with the NHL. Might not be for a few seasons yet, Puli has the speed to keep up with Connor, plus he can finish pretty well. I can see him surpassing Eberle's NHL output eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad