Post-Game Talk: Rangers 5 Oilers 3

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
McDavid, Pulju, Nuge, and Drai can all skate. Kassian is also underrated. Pouliot is strong on his skates.

Our muscle up front is supposed to be Looch and Big Rig. Happy to see Big Rig back with McDavid, they have more chemistry than McDavid and Looch do.

Looch and Drai might be a deadly cycle/possession line.

My point is almost half the top 9 are slow.

And no Drai can't skate. He's ok for maybe first 10-15 mins of game and then he's slow. I still think he's gassed from last season, Olympic quals, WC and WCoH. Either that or he purposely slows the game down for himself.

Kassian is one of those guys that have decent acceleration with low top end speed:laugh:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
My point is almost half the top 9 are slow.

And no Drai can't skate. He's ok for maybe first 10-15 mins of game and then he's slow. I still think he's gassed from last season, Olympic quals, WC and WCoH. Either that or he purposely slows the game down for himself.

Kassian is one of those guys that have decent acceleration with low top end speed:laugh:

Drai has good top end, but his conditioning is an issue I agree. He gasses out quickly and he appears to be a streaky player. 3rd line centre is actually perfect for him. I think his playing time is perfect at 13-16 mins/game. He doesn't have the stamina to play more.

Kassian has good top end speed, for his size he's at minimum an average/slightly above average skater. Pouliot is a good skater, McDavid is the best in the game, Pulju has elite skating, Nuge is a strong skater. Compared to the Pacific, we're a fast top 9.

Have you looked at LAK and ANAs top 9?

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Ughh Eberle still gets gifted top mins :shakehead

Otherwise happy with the changes.

It's definitely a start. Eberle is still their best RW overall. Hopefully these changes kick start things a bit. Maroon and McDavid can go crazy on the rush and forecheck and Eberle just has to find open ice for a shot, kind of like Brett Hull.

Lucic Draisaitl Kassian is a pretty old school group. I'm interested to see how they work out. Hit the bodies!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yeah, Nurse was playing well, but Benning's in his 2nd game, maybe they should give him a break, in a tough spot at the end of a game. :laugh:

That's a coaching error on TM's part. No way Benning and Nurse should have been out there in the last few minutes with the Rangers pressing. I thought Benning looked decent, had a few brain farts, but hey, he wasn't the only one. He's a good skater and puck mover that's green at this level, and was put in a spot in the game where his chances of failing went way up.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Drai has good top end, but his conditioning is an issue I agree. He gasses out quickly and he appears to be a streaky player. 3rd line centre is actually perfect for him. I think his playing time is perfect at 13-16 mins/game. He doesn't have the stamina to play more.

Kassian has good top end speed, for his size he's at minimum an average/slightly above average skater. Pouliot is a good skater, McDavid is the best in the game, Pulju has elite skating, Nuge is a strong skater. Compared to the Pacific, we're a fast top 9.

Have you looked at LAK and ANAs top 9?

LA and ANA's top 9 bully teams to victory so speed isn't always necessary. If our team's meat heads actually played like them, we'd probably win more.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
LA and ANA's top 9 bully teams to victory so speed isn't always necessary. If our team's meat heads actually played like them, we'd probably win more.

Agreed on that point.

Go ****ing bully teams and be who you are. No point having big nasty players if they don't do their job.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Agreed on that point.

Go ****ing bully teams and be who you are. No point having big nasty players if they don't do their job.

It's still a pretty sad make up since everything is masked by McDavid-team goes as far as he goes and that's not a good way to build a team. It's not Hall bad but it's still pretty bad to rely heavily on just 1 player. At least Nuge sorta woke up and Kassian playing a lot better.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
At least Nurse continues to impress. He is improving every game, including adding some offense.

Silver linings.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Damn, it sucks to see a lot of you taking this loss so hard.

I thought it was a good response following the Toronto game and was an exciting game to watch but I'm not surprised that the mistakes that were made that cost us this game burns deep with some of you.

Regardless of the outcome, this team still has months to go before they prove they have turned the corner but it helps not watching through a microscope.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

I thought it was a good response following the Toronto game and was an exciting game to watch but I'm not surprised that the mistakes that were made that cost us this game burns deep with some of you.

Regardless of the outcome, this team still has months to go before they prove they have turned the corner but it helps not watching through a microscope.

This. They were right there with probably the best team in the league so far, and a late goal cost em. It happens.

They lost a close road game.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

I think calmer heads will prevail today.

Our fans are just passionate, sometimes heat of the moment things should be viewed as that. Heat of the moment passion from love of the game and wanting to see the best Oilers team possible.

With time to reflect, I think views will be more reasoned and thoughtful rather than full blown hysteria.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
At least Nurse continues to impress. He is improving every game, including adding some offense.

Silver linings.

Nurse looked very good again.

He is 100% a legit NHL Dman. He's a bona fide #5/6 right now, I think every team in the NHL would gladly take Nurse on their bottom pairing and PK unit.

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
Nuge is looking a lot like a 6 million dollar luxury we should probably keep...Eberle on the other hand, whoa, play just dies on his stick, soft as butter. I see in Nuge the intensity I wish I saw in Ebs.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton

He is 100% a legit NHL Dman. He's a bona fide #5/6 right now, I think every team in the NHL would gladly take Nurse on their bottom pairing and PK unit.

Slowly gaining the confidence he had in junior back. Like you said, he's a solid #5 right now with the potential to develop into a beast :handclap:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Slowly gaining the confidence he had in junior back. Like you said, he's a solid #5 right now with the potential to develop into a beast :handclap:

Yup. I think we've been very mature as fans lately looking at Nurse this year. We're purely looking at him as a bottom pairing guy this year. He's exceeding expectations for us. He belongs in the NHL, he'll never play another game in the AHL.

There's no doubt looking at his play this year and analyzing all the stats and underlying analytics, Nurse is a quality NHL Dman. He's a legit #5/6 right now, his PK abilities likely put him in bona fide #5 status. His size and elite skating we see when he carries the puck out of the zone makes me smile thinking about what he'll become.

Good growth for Nurse, I'm happy with him. He'll continue to improve and get better in the coming years.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Nurse continues to impress. He is full of confidence. I love how often he jumps into the rush. It goes from a 3 on 2 to 4 on 2. And even if Nurse doesnt get the puck it causes D to misplay players. Nurse also has the speed to get back if things go wrong

We havent had many D in past that liked to jump into rush. Maybe it was a coaching decision tho. Either way he is looking really dynamic. He still has holes in his game, but his game has all the elements of a #1 D or top pairing D. Just need to work on the kinks

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Edmonton played good but the Rangers played better.

I think almost all their goals were shoot the puck at net and stuff in a rebound?
Actually one was tipped on a relatively harmless looking shot that I remember.

That team was fast and tenacious. We didn't do the things necessary to stop their cycle. They were much quicker along the boards and won most of the battles.

The only way we're taking over that game is by beating them into submission. You can't let the Stepans, Grabners, etc of the team free wheel in your zone.

We were just way to passive because we didn't have it in us to hit or we couldn't keep up.

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi

Edmonton played alright.... some of the time. They made a lot of mistakes in their own zone. We 'look' better than we did last year. That's something I guess, and I understand why some here are advocating patience and pointing out that the Rangers are one of the best teams in the NHL so far.

Some of us just wish the Oilers were one of those teams. I think it sucks having to admit that we were bested by a team because we should have been bested. It just sucks.

We can rationalize all we want, but being a fan of a team isn't rational in the first place, so why bother trying? I want my team to win every game.

It pisses me off when I see the same dumb mistakes being made year after year. Rationally, I get it. And, rationally, it doesn't affect my life one way or the other after I turn the TV off. I don't lose sleep over it, nor do I pine over it and let it bother me (as some fans surely do, which to me is insane).

At the same time--inasmuch as I am invested in hockey--I want my damn team to win and stop being stupid.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I'm not even saying this to troll...

Steve Ott is a better player than Milan Lucic right now.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
I have to.............???

I think almost all their goals were shoot the puck at net and stuff in a rebound?
Actually one was tipped on a relatively harmless looking shot that I remember.

That team was fast and tenacious. We didn't do the things necessary to stop their cycle. They were much quicker along the boards and won most of the battles.

The only way we're taking over that game is by beating them into submission. You can't let the Stepans, Grabners, etc of the team free wheel in your zone.

We were just way to passive because we didn't have it in us to hit or we couldn't keep up.

I have to disagree with the above............the NYR defence played better than the Edmonton defence.........but the Oilers forwards are better.........my opinion but the Rangers were lucky on most of the goals..........they were shots from the point that deflected off players and landed on the NYR players' for an easy tap in.

Even the empty net good was a bank shot off a side board.....the Rangers were just trying to get the puck out of there own zone.

In both of the last two games the bounds were not on the side of the Oilers.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Nurse continues to impress. He is full of confidence. I love how often he jumps into the rush. It goes from a 3 on 2 to 4 on 2. And even if Nurse doesnt get the puck it causes D to misplay players. Nurse also has the speed to get back if things go wrong

We havent had many D in past that liked to jump into rush. Maybe it was a coaching decision tho. Either way he is looking really dynamic. He still has holes in his game, but his game has all the elements of a #1 D or top pairing D. Just need to work on the kinks

He absolutely man-handled Nash. It was beautiful.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
i think rangers are one of the top 5 teams in the league right now. they arent getting the attention they deserve

i didnt mind the game. we needed the ottawa and toronto games.

the ottawa game we did play well. toronto was atrocious though.

you cant be letting those losses happen like in toronto.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

He was a #5-6 dman when he was drafted. You don't use a #7 overall pick on a #5-6 dman, he needs to step it up.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He was a #5-6 dman when he was drafted. You don't use a #7 overall pick on a #5-6 dman, he needs to step it up.

:laugh:

I agree. Just because a 21 year old Nurse is a #5/6 right now doesn't mean that's all he'll be. Dmen take time to develop, he'll continue to grow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad