Post-Game Talk: Rangers 5 Oilers 3

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Well I guess if there is any positive to gain, they have their backs up against the wall and need to respond right now. They need a win against the Islanders.

We have to keep our pace and pick up wins. There better be some urgency next game, I don't think they quit or played "old Oilers" hockey during these losses, but who cares? They've lost 3 straight.

How we respond will be telling.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Indeed, I'm not trying to over look the failures (sorry if it seems like I am). However, what "encourages" me is the fact I see this Oilers team being able to do it.

No I get it. If they survive for 90 more seconds the feeling around here is much better. If they minimize the mistakes they'll be fine. I was hoping they would at least get a point, but...

Also I don't think Benning had a bad game but why on Earth would you bat the puck backwards...

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
No I get it. If they survive for 90 more seconds the feeling around here is much better. If they minimize the mistakes they'll be fine. I was hoping they would at least get a point, but...

Also I don't think Benning had a bad game but why on Earth would you bat the puck backwards...

Yeah, Nurse was playing well, but Benning's in his 2nd game, maybe they should give him a break, in a tough spot at the end of a game. :laugh:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Well I guess if there is any positive to gain, they have their backs up against the wall and need to respond right now. They need a win against the Islanders.

We have to keep our pace and pick up wins. There better be some urgency next game, I don't think they quit or played "old Oilers" hockey during these losses, but who cares? They've lost 3 straight.

How we respond will be telling.

I think this is the general response for many, including myself. If the players don't attend to the urgency like they should, we have problems.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think this is the general response for many, including myself. If the players don't attend to the urgency like they should, we have problems.

This is a very telling game coming up for us. Character test.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
That was a tight game and could have gone either way.

I was so bummed when Nash scored that goal that I definitely reverted back to the depressed, beaten down feelings of years past.

However, this is a completely different team. They've found some adversity and we'll see if they can fight through it, but the emotion is there. There have been so many sloppy plays that I can help but think that a few tweaks be all that's needed.

I've been really impressed with Puljujarvi in the last 3 or 4 games that I'd like to see him get at least a period or two with McDavid.

Maroon McDavid Puljujarvi
Lucic Nuge Eberle
Pouliot Draisaitl Kassian
Lander Letestu Pitlick
(It would be nice to throw Slepyshev in for Pitlick either Sat or Sun)

I know that others have suggested this lineup and I'm on board. I like Lucic and Eberle, but things with McDavid are a little too quick right now and they need a good cycle game with Nuge. Maroon and Puljujarvi have been solid on the rush, which would fit with McDavid's style. You can also see that Draisaitl is losing a bit of confidence and I think that a simpler, grinding game with Pouliot and Kassian might help get him going too.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
I'm on team demote Eberle from the first line. Hopefully that wakes up Lucic and gives Puljujarvi a chance to devastate. Eberle scores instead of that post and I'm not saying this. I just think three games is enough to start changing things up.
Ready for Andrew Ladd to score two goals on us on Saturday? Slumpbusters.

It really wasn't that bad a game. But watching Lucic and Eberle play so uninterested is very difficult for us as fans. We know they could make a difference if they were balls to the wall. We know the Oilers likely win that game.

Hopefully Benning isn't beating himself up over his play. It was awful but you can overlook things like that if the team keeps winning.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I had read about Lucic and Eberle having problems in keeping up with McDavid, but I was amazed to see that with my own eyes last night. I assumed that the difference just can't be so much that it would be a crucial problem, even if it takes some of McDavid's strengths off. But it seemed that every time those three were on the ice together they were a complete mismatch. Maybe that could change, but according to what I saw this really may not be the best possible combination. I wonder how long they will keep believing in this with no changes.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Lines from practice:

It's a start. Really interested in seeing Lucic/Drai again. McLellan just ignored how great they looked together for a couple mins early in the season.

Would rather Pulju face top defenders than top forwards personally, but will be interesting to see how he does on Nuge's line. Maroon-McDavid-Ebs was decent last year, hopefully Maroon can bring back the magic he had with McDavid.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Ughh Eberle still gets gifted top mins :shakehead

Otherwise happy with the changes.

It's a start. Really interested in seeing Lucic/Drai again. McLellan just ignored how great they looked together for a couple mins early in the season.

Would rather Pulju face top defenders than top forwards personally, but will be interesting to see how he does on Nuge's line. Maroon-McDavid-Ebs was decent last year, hopefully Maroon can bring back the magic he had with McDavid.

It's a start. I prefer Maroon with McDavid, Maroon has a surprisingly underrated shot. He can pick the corners and has good hands. He'll also fight for McDavid anytime.

Lucic/Drai I like thinking about and Lucic-Kopitar come to mind. Drai has many similarities to a young Kopitar and Lucic looked good with him.

Pulju will continue moving up the lineup. His #1 quality? His effort level, he's at full speed and relentless every shift puck hounding on the forecheck and plays hard defensively. Apparently, according to my Finnish guys, Pulju has unreal conditioning. If he didn't have surgery, he would have set records on the V02 test at the combine.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Ughh Eberle still gets gifted top mins :shakehead

Otherwise happy with the changes.

Here's hoping he actually skates hard and no more weak ass stick checks. I still dont understand why they dont try :] with McDavid. He may be a rookie but it seems like he's getting a good grasp of things now AND he can actually skate.

Im amazed at how bad our team is skating wise in the top 9.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

He didnt exactly ignore it...because he DID put Drais in Eberles place which ended up being pretty terrible in its small sample. Maybe it will work (Drais worked with Hall) but ive been wanting to see Looch with Drais since that game. I think its a combo that should work. we know maroon works with Ebs and McD

All and all i was happy with Larsson again. He is the only player who has stood out every game for me.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Whatever happens, I hope that Slepyshev can find his way back into the lineup soon. He was starting to look really good before getting thrown into the pressbox, and might be the skilled physical winger that could get someone like Draisaitl out of whatever funk he's in right now.

He just needs the opportunity to prove himself and a coach that believes in him.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Here's hoping he actually skates hard and no more weak ass stick checks. I still dont understand why they dont try :] with McDavid. He may be a rookie but it seems like he's getting a good grasp of things now AND he can actually skate.

McDavid, Pulju, Nuge, and Drai can all skate. Kassian is also underrated. Pouliot is strong on his skates.

Our muscle up front is supposed to be Looch and Big Rig. Happy to see Big Rig back with McDavid, they have more chemistry than McDavid and Looch do.

Looch and Drai might be a deadly cycle/possession line.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Whatever happens, I hope that Slepyshev can find his way back into the lineup soon. He was starting to look really good before getting thrown into the pressbox, and might be the skilled physical winger that could get someone like Draisaitl out of whatever funk he's in right now.

He just needs the opportunity to prove himself and a coach that believes in him.

I want him in over Lander.

Both Lander and Letestu in the lineup are redundant. It's one or the other per game.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009

Grabner would look good on McDavids wing. #wheels

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
I had read about Lucic and Eberle having problems in keeping up with McDavid, but I was amazed to see that with my own eyes last night. I assumed that the difference just can't be so much that it would be a crucial problem, even if it takes some of McDavid's strengths off. But it seemed that every time those three were on the ice together they were a complete mismatch. Maybe that could change, but according to what I saw this really may not be the best possible combination. I wonder how long they will keep believing in this with no changes.

C'mon, guys. Yeah Ebs and Looch had bad games, but McDavid was shut down outside of a few flashes. We can't gear that line around rush hockey because more often than not we're going to get that style of our game completely taken out of us by the opposition (See vs. Toronto, Ott, and tonight). We need our first line to evolve into somthing that can generate points not just off the rush, and that's on McDavid become a more complete player, too. McDavid can't win a board battle. As soon as someone presses on him he gets completely stuck and loses the puck.

My worry is that teams are going to trap us to death and render us completely ineffective. For a team that's supposed to be bigger, we can't cycle worth **** and lose board battles on a consistent basis.

Drai - I think it's time to shed the notion of him being a big player. Not only is he average sized at best, he has yet to show the ability to consistently win puck battles along the boards since he came into the league.

Last night was on the team collectively, for basically generating jack sh!t 5 on 5 for the 3rd straight game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad