• Zac Jone!

• Bevin Schneider

• L + Ratio + Igor’s Better

Results are only viewable after voting.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Agreed, if anything to keep the PKers honest. They will cheat more and more towards Zib knowing Fox will never shoot it
or Bread and him can rotate and have Bread shoot. They need to be dynamic.

Dont get me wrong, they looked good yesterday. I like how they were trying to get Trocheck involved too, who has a great shot from the slot. He got more looks in his 1st game than Strome got all season

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I thought we were a little sloppy as soon as the game started, then Kravtsov got injured and we were pretty good in all areas of the game...

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Post-game thread only 16 pages? Where is everybody?

So happy I can put behind the Mets dismal playoff run,.... with perhaps the best opening night the Rangers ever had!

What a performance! I said Zibad and Kreids looked phenomenal during the preseason, and boy did they come out flying. Zee is a notoriously slow starter to begin his season. But not this year. He was gangbusters. Love how he showed Stamkos he's not the only one with a blistering one-timer. His timing is in mid-season form. And kudos to Trocheck, in giving Zibad that opportunity. Zee lost the face-off cleanly, and Vinny quickly hunted the puck along the boards, and kept it alive for us to gain control. Great play. Doesn't look like we will miss Stromer on the PP at all.

So many played well last night. Kakko was a beast. Man does this look like a bust-out year for him. I could probably say the same for Laffy, but Kakko really caught my eye last night.

Even our 4th line played well. I'm surprised Carpenter made the team, but Gallant had him in Vegas and probably knows what he brings. With that early hit by Reavo, you just knew this team was gonna hit on all cylinders.

I think our blueline has improved immensely with the addition of Zac Jones. He is a force to be reckoned with. This guy can play D, move the puck and gives us another quarterback at the blueline.

We out shot, out hit, and dominated face-offs. Tampa's only goal came on a 5 on 3. I have another wild prediction,.... This will be our best October ever. We can go 9-1, maybe losing to Colorado.

Of note... I knew Vatali would get knocked around being a lightweight, and I am not surprised he got injured. He lasted a minute and a half,... pathetic.

Up next, home opener in Minn. They lost Kevin Fiala and that is a big loss. And Fleury is what 37 now? But they went 6-1 in the preseason beating Colorado and Dallas twice. So it won't be easy.

Last edited:

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Did you look at their toi tonight? That is one of the only things I am upset about. Kakko getting 13 mins when he was one of our two best players the first period is very frustrating. Chytil earned his (only) 12 mins on ice tonight though...
That was due to special teams being out on the ice for a large part of the game. There is no doubt their ice-time will go up this year. With Kakko playing on the first line, he had to wait for Kreids and Zibad to catch their breath after their special team play.

Reactions: egelband

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Anyone else think this can be a special season?
I think they will have a great start to the season. October's schedule isn't that taxing. We have two back to backs on the road, but other than that, we have plenty of days off. 10 games in October, 14 in November.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Ohhh boy- how about Mika who scored a short handed goal for starters.

Mika had 23 shifts- Kappo had 17. Considering PP shifts and PK shifts are included in this it could be argued Kappo played MORE 5 on 5 shifts than Mica did.

www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NYR/2023.html

Go here to see ice time breakdowns for short handed times. Aside from Carpenter, I have no idea who else you could say Kappo should have replaced or skated more on the penalty kill then.

Carpenter.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
The big difference between this year and last year, is that Gallant is no longer a first-year coach with a new system, new coaches and some unfamiliarity. It's no wonder we came out of the blocks running. Halak didn't start in net. I see no reason for it not to continue and to have even a stronger start than last year.

Last edited:

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The big difference between this year and last year, is that Gallant is no longer a first-year coach with a new system, new coaches and some unfamiliarity. It's no wonder we came out of the blocks running. Halak didn't start in net. I see no reason for it not to continue and to have even a stronger start than last year.

I totally forgot Georgiev started Game 1 in Washington last year. What a crazy galaxy brain move in hindsight

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
That was due to special teams being out on the ice for a large part of the game. There is no doubt their ice-time will go up this year. With Kakko playing on the first line, he had to wait for Kreids and Zibad to catch their breath after their special team play.
Please see my other posts, I know it was a specialty team game in the 2nd, but turk himself said he was going to work these guys into the pk and such to prevent losing them in games that turned into specialty team games, then he didn't do it. That is my issue. Let's see what happens tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad