• Zac Jone!

• Bevin Schneider

• L + Ratio + Igor’s Better

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Rangers really looked good last night. Your team has a great defense. Maybe the best in the league. The top goaltender and several great forwards. Good luck and enjoy.
Nice reverse jinx, bucko, but what you weren't counting on was immunity dog. Better luck next time, sport!

a3Q7dn5_460s.jpg

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Couldn't have asked for a better start really. Well technically the start of the game was probably the worst portion of the game for the Rangers lol but after that they were clearly the better team.

Good:
Mika- 2 great shots on both goals, was attacking off the rush.

Kakko- he's going to help Mika and Kreider with holding onto pucks in the offensive zone and winning pucks back in the defensive zone. I really liked his shift with Lafreniere and Chytil though at the end of the game, Lafreniere enters the zone, drops it to Kakko who drives wide but then cuts towards the net and tries to stuff it in. More of that.

Trocheck- solid all around game, he's gonna be a shooting threat in the bumper and open up more shooting opportunities for Zibanejad. I'm really interested to see how he meshes with Panarin.it's a different game because Trocheck can actually use his feet to beat guys wide and make plays. Should open things up for Panarin.

Miller- Beast, not much more else needed to say.

Jones- he had one instance where he struggled and he got beat to the outside by Paul and TV ended up with two quality chances. Other than that I thought he was excellent. He is really good at using his leverage and angling himself while defending 1-on-1. Great stick and quick feet. He made so many quality outlet passes and one great cross ice pass to I believe Lafreniere in the third which didn't get to the net.

4th line as a whole- They did exactly what we need them to do. Carpenter got a lot of shit in preseason and he showed last night that he is still a very effective 4th liner. Vesey I'm sure will move up if Kravtsov is out but he is a perfect fit lower in the lineup And Reaves had a ton of jump.

Igor
Goodrow
Trouba
Schneider

Mediocre
Panarin- had a good third period but before that it wasnt his best effort
Kreider
Chytil
Lafreniere
Fox
Lindgren

No one bad, which is nice.

Last edited:

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
hang on here, this isnt monday morning qb. there were just preseason games to start giving these guys exposure to pk minutes, gallant even acknowledged that they needed to start doing that during camp. i am not saying dump out the players meant for that role, but i am saying integrate these kids the way you said you would so they dont play 6 minutes out of 40 mins in a game.

youre the one talking about a "narrative" yet you are trying to manipulate my words to suggest i am offering some narrative that doesnt exist. turk literally brought this up himself weeks ago and said he needed to work them into the pk so that what happened last night doesnt happen...

i am not focused on the pp time. that is the thing people are misunderstanding. i am saying IF you are going 90/30 split on pp then start integrating the kids into the pk rotation (like turk said he was going to do) so that when games turn into a specialty teams sprint you dont completely lose these guys from contributing to the game and they get iced. turk acknowledged this and said he needed to get them into the pk rotation so that is what i want to see if the pp time remains limited. either way the team in april will be in a better position if more players are prepared to contribute in more/different ways
he got laf in, for whatever reason kakko didnt last night. would i have preferred to mix him in there? for sure. its a long season though, it was a weird game with the way it was called and didnt have many long stretches of 5 on 5 play the last 2 periods, first game of the year. this roster has a lot of guys that can pk too. i think itll all work itself out. the kids look great, so laf / kakko can prob get in there on pk, i'd bet the rent he has them in the 4 on 4 pairs. i think they get plenty of time when its all said and done

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I bet he is.

Who got minutes over him on the PK? Honest question, I don't have the breakdown.
Ohhh boy- how about Mika who scored a short handed goal for starters.

Mika had 23 shifts- Kappo had 17. Considering PP shifts and PK shifts are included in this it could be argued Kappo played MORE 5 on 5 shifts than Mica did.

www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NYR/2023.html

Go here to see ice time breakdowns for short handed times. Aside from Carpenter, I have no idea who else you could say Kappo should have replaced or skated more on the penalty kill then.

Last edited:
Reactions: trilobyte

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Not enough love for Igor in this thread. I thought he was outstanding last night. He was really dialed in.

Happy to see Goodrow get the late goal. Prior to that he was having a terrible game.

K'Andre looks like he is taking another step. He really played a strong, smart game. Love that he also played physical.

Loved the pace that the top line played the game at. Really love Kakko up there with them. He looks very comfortable.

Was happy with Jones play but i don't think he was a good as some labeled him. I like him over Hajek for sure. He played good, not great.

Mika was in full beast mode.

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The time to get the kids more minutes was in Quinn’s last year. The team was clearly not a playoff contender so it made sense to prioritize development.

Last year was a different story under Gallant and with the preseason moves. The results speak for themselves.

This year is yet another story. Who knows where they end up, if they take a step back (unlikely) I’d be all for prioritizing the kids to the nth degree. But to complaint about their deployment last night, during perhaps the best team performance we’ve seen in years, I mean, I’m just not on board.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It was a close game on the scoreboard. I think with the way they played last night, they will be dominating lesser teams. PP2 will see ice, might even start the power play, in games where they are comfortably ahead in score.
let's hope so, but again this isnt just about the pp time.

And when exactly would you use PP2 instead of PP1 which is a top 3 PP in the league?
when games are at 3+ goal spreads, when 3 of the 5 players on the top unit were just on the ice for a long shift that drew the penalty and could potentially use a quick rest to be more effective when they get out there together? Anyone who's been around hockey knows there are common sense times that you can easily run out a second unit, but again this isn't just about pp time...

Reactions: will1066

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
So rant time because I had a project which I pulled an allnighter. Currently hopped on 1 monster and 3 coffees so lets go:
1. We know we played well, thought I'd spit a few thoughts ab trocheck. He's a very good passer. Falls down a lot. Is fast as hell. Did a good job on the bumper. Only reason we didnt have 3 or 4 pp goals was cause Vasy went freako mode.
2. Vasy man. I forget, then i see him and he is damn big. Idk why. He ain't tall, the equipment regulated. I heard he likes it loose. But like goddamn, he's very good. Igor had some fun, but it was far and few in between in terms of who had a tougher night.
3.You'd see a couple of high grade chances throughout the period, but they weren't consistent. It'd be pockets of momentum flops that'd keep you on the edge for a second, but then quickly regain faith.
4. Jones was my number three. Miller-mika tied for 1st.
5. I like hockey a lot. We all do. I started when we had that ottawa series. I mean hardcore investment. I had already seen the scf season sporadically, but more so in the finals and honestly stuck around for mostly the playoffs. It sucked seeing them lose in the playoffs, but I already grew to love it. The battle.
6. When my interest became obsession, I saw a team get Kevin Shattenkirk. Resign Smith. Oh great, I think. Our core shall be crazy. Well, bam, you know the dealio.
7. Rebuild time. Our team is terrible. I keep watching. Idk why. Guess I enjoyed the pain. I thought they'd make it with whoever would replace quinn. I thought they'd only be a wild card team.
8. I thought they'd become the dominating force sending out swarms of kakko possession reversals, takeaways, and silky smooth hands mixed in with a laf assaulta alongside our other weapons. See, but I had these thoughts even when quinn was here. The potential was evident.
9. They are here and a lot more than you think. Listen, it is one game and they could become a dumpster truck, sell the team and go to idaho to grow potatoes. From what I already seen, this team is ready.
10. I dont think its cup year unless we get kane for a 1 milli and uh max we could swing is 2.5. Its feasible and the return would be *drum roll* skinner, kravstov and a 2nd or a 3rd depending on how he does this year. It's a lot. We save our first though. But that's wishful thinking. If it'd get us a cup, I would do it. I dont think nyr would, but I mean, we cant afford kravstov and kane will have finished a 10 milli contract. I dont care ab black hawks needs. Its wherever kane picks. If its not here it's edm. I dont wanna see a line of -kane-mcdavid-kane followed by draisatl, nugent-hopkins and hyman.
Could go on and on. But rangers are here and lets enjoy them. Still think cup year is next year. LGR!

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Not enough love for Igor in this thread. I thought he was outstanding last night. He was really dialed in.

Happy to see Goodrow get the late goal. Prior to that he was having a terrible game.

K'Andre looks like he is taking another step. He really played a strong, smart game. Love that he also played physical.

Loved the pace that the top line played the game at. Really love Kakko up there with them. He looks very comfortable.

Was happy with Jones play but i don't think he was a good as some labeled him. I like him over Hajek for sure. He played good, not great.

Mika was in full beast mode.
Good leadoff to this post. Went kind of forgotten after the all around great effort the rest of the way, but Igor made a stellar save either by reaction, positioning, luck or all 3 off a deflection (not sure off Tampa or off our defesne) in the first minute of the game (I think). He made another key stop at the start of the season too.

I know this is an all hockey thing, but an old coach of mine said if you can manage the first 2 and last 2 of each period and game, you stand the keep the momentum on your side for the majority. If Tampa scores either of those 2 early period chances, you never know. Igor was outstanding, calming, and made the key stops - like he always does.

If we can continue to win and he's one of the afterthoughts yet was still great and didn't have a bad game, this could be a season to remember.

That goes in, you never know how the mindset changes or how the game goes. Igor is our MVP, but if at any point this year theres a stretch where we can make an argument that our most important player is Fox or Panarin, we're in great shape.

If Mika continues this start and we can make the argument for the whole season that he may be equally as important as Igor, we're in fantastic shape my friends.

Lone Ranger

Jan 31, 2009
New York
I honestly believe Miller is probably the most complete player on this team. He can do it all. He might not have the insane offensive punch that Fox has, but god he just does everything else at such an elite level. Hopefully his career is long and he retires a Ranger. Seriously considering getting his jersey.
Agreed, but Miller being this good is going to be a major salary cap problem sooner rather than later.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Anyone else think this can be a special season?
I'd hate to get too far ahead, we've already seen the injury bug rear its ugly head, and we haven't had Igors yearly groin strain (knock on wood), but yes...I genuinely get this feeling.

Even last year in the playoffs, the way the team played in Games 5-7 against PIT, Games 6&7 against CAR and games 1&2 vs TBL, I don't know if I'd ever felt more confident in a teams ability. Obviously that changed the rest of the Conf finals series, but this season returned to that confidence and swagger we had early in the Tampa series.

Not once, even with Hank in net in 11-12, 13-14 or 14-15 did I ever feel so confident in the entire team, not just our goalie. We have an elite centre, an elite winger, a Norris winninh defenseman, and a young core on cheap deals who all seem primed to take a step forward. Oh, and we went from Hank to Igor in net.

Don't want to jinx anything, or get too far ahead. But this team has a vibe, a feeling. Last playoff run, the additions, the trajectory + Game 1. Still have games 2-82, so its too early to be this excited, I know. But yeah, this could be special

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Will be a rough season for me. Can't stay up late much anymore these days. xD

Board seems mostly elated. And hilarious as ever.

Judging from the highlights:

MVP = Persia. That first goal, just pure filth.

These initially albatross-ass lookin' like contracts, might just end up being total bargains. Kreider is easily worth the money, on this plateau. Zibs? At a point per game, PK, PP you have it, bargain. Talking to myself here.

On the 3rd goal, tip by Goodrow, they showed the Tampa coach. He didn't even look mad, he looked like: "damn, that was a nice play." Acknowledging us.

To many more victories!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad