• KAndre Miller

• Jacob Trouba

• Zac Jone!

• Bevin Schneider

• L + Ratio + Igor’s Better

Results are only viewable after voting.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Literally almost half of the last 2 periods was played on the PK.

If you want to make the case that he should be on the PK, fine I'll buy that and agree with it.

Lets not act like he was stapled to the bench because some shitty vets got ice time instead. He played more 5v5 than Krieder and Zibanejad did last night.
that is literally what i have been saying this whole time if you read the posts. turk said he was going to get the kids on the pk to make sure they didnt get lost if the games turned into specialty teams games, then the first game he completely loses them.

the bolded is literally what i have been saying...

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Literally almost half of the last 2 periods was played on the PK.

If you want to make the case that he should be on the PK, fine I'll buy that and agree with it.

Lets not act like he was stapled to the bench because some shitty vets got ice time instead. He played more 5v5 than Krieder and Zibanejad did last night.

Who got all the PK minutes?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Why doesn't he penalty kill? He should. He's good enough to do it.

This is more my gripe than anything as well. Kaako has the skills to be a very good PKer. If he isn't going to get much PP time than they should be employing him, at minimum, on the 3rd PK unit to try to get him more involved in the game.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019

”Vesey and Goodrowe aren’t that scary and don’t keep possession going that well”

Vesey 10-0 Corsi at evens.

”Vesey and Goodrowe aren’t that scary and don’t keep possession going that well.”

Vesey 10-0 CF at evens. Lol
I think all of us hate Vesey on line 2. Bottom 6? Fine. Goodrow too. Neither should take minutes from a 1st or 2nd overall pick.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
that is literally what i have been saying this whole time if you read the posts. turk said he was going to get the kids on the pk to make sure they didnt get lost if the games turned into specialty teams games, then the first game he completely loses them.

the bolded is literally what i have been saying...

Thats fair then.

I'm sure he'll work his way into the rotation eventually (I was kind of shocked that Laf got in above him tbh.)

OTOH, I wouldn't expect half of the last 40 minutes of every game to be a ST fest either. He'll get his ice and I wouldn't worry about it that much.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Why doesn't he penalty kill? He should. He's good enough to do it.
not only that but the coach said he was going to have him do it. that is the whole point. this isnt criticizing turk for something that i think he should do, he himself said he should and would do it and then he didnt...

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Blueshirts looked extremely impressive last night, Miller and Kakko pushed play Igor very good “great outlet passes “, and obviously Big Z!!! Looked more like a 5-1 game.

Reactions: egelband

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Kakko and Jones were excellent last night. The whole team was good for the full 60 but those two stood out to me for what we need moving forward. We need a boost in production from Kakko/Laf/Chytil. And we also need our 3rd pair to be stable. Jones was moving his legs well, evading hits, making good outlet passes, good decisions with the puck. Reminded me a lot of Fox. No I am not saying he is going to be Adam Fox, but his style of play and effectiveness was very similar.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Was the biggest difference Jones vs. Nemeth? Sure looked like it.

Having all three D pairs being able to get the puck out efficiently and also start the offensive transition is a true blessing. A fresh, season-starting Lindgren was fast. Fox was ok, but he will be his normal self. Miller was utterly dominant on both ends of the ice. Trouba will be mostly solid. Then, to have Jones completely be the business in moving the puck and defending well in front and in the corners on the other side of Schneider -- when the third pair traditionally got pinned and caved in -- well, that's the chef's kiss.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
if you want win at the end you need everyone able to contribute in multiple roles. it is shortsighted to just focus on the reg season and winning those games only. if you think it is okay for a guy like kakko to play 6 total minutes over the 2nd and 3rd period after he was one of our best players over 7 minutes in the first period then we just wont agree at all. I have been one of kakko's biggest critics recently but he looked engaged and confident, then they basically staple him to the bench. that does nothing to help bring him along. i am not saying they need to be playing 20 a night, but the staff can do better then they have at allocating minutes. we saw in the playoffs what a big affect these younger guys can have when they are going.
I'm kind of betwixt and between here. I'd definitely like to see the kids get some PP time, however its almost criminally negligent to f*** with this power play setup the way they score. Maybe break them in on power plays when we already have a "comfortable" (2 or more goal) lead?

Last edited:

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
I mean, they did greatly contribute to the win yesterday. The scoring will come. I saw Laf out there on the PK as well. Gallant also got the Kid Line together for some shifts after our PP's ended. I thought it was a very well coached game by him, and I am a critic of his in game tactics normally.
I always criticize him and I was more than fine with yesterday. I do think KK could/should be on pk2. He’d make us better.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I'm kind of betwixt and between here. I'd definitely like to see the kids get some PP time, however its almost criminally negligent to f*** with this power play setup the way they score. Maybe beak them in on power plays when we already have a "comfortable" (2 or more goal) lead?
completely agree. i am not saying 50/50 split. but there are spots you NEED you pp1 to do the job and there are spots you can use pp2 as a priority to help them find a comfort so when you do NEED them (as a unit or as individuals to fill in on pp1) they are prepared to contribute in that way. this isnt so much individual development as it is team development. it literally benefits the whole team if they are aiming for a deep run. we already know pp1 is lethal and it would be nice for pp2 to become something more than a waste.

Reactions: bhamill

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I'm surprised by all of the complaining regarding ice time. All of the penalties threw off the 5v5 flow and that is definitely reflected in the overall TOI.

If you look at the 5v5 TOI, it looks like a pretty good distribution. Miller and Trouba got the most time as they were the matchup pairing. Lafreniere had the most 5v5 time among forwards. Kakko was 4th and Chytil was 6th. Jones was 3rd among defensemen. Carpenter and Reaves were at the bottom with 6:22 each.

When the game is close and there is that much special teams time, you have to lean on your top guys. The first PP unit was getting tons of zone time and generating lots of chances. And the GWG was a Zibanejad PP goal, so it seems to have worked.

Yup. I was one of the louder folks re: getting the kids more minutes last year, but this game wasn't an issue. You eventually want to see the kids worked into the rotation on the PK, but opening night against a Stanley Cup finalist isn't the time to experiment with that.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
completely agree. i am not saying 50/50 split. but there are spots you NEED you pp1 to do the job and there are spots you can use pp2 as a priority to help them find a comfort so when you do NEED them (as a unit or as individuals to fill in on pp1) they are prepared to contribute in that way. this isnt so much individual development as it is team development. it literally benefits the whole team if they are aiming for a deep run. we already know pp1 is lethal and it would be nice for pp2 to become something more than a waste.
Yeah buddy. I'm with you there.

Reactions: bleedblue94

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

It was a close game on the scoreboard. I think with the way they played last night, they will be dominating lesser teams. PP2 will see ice, might even start the power play, in games where they are comfortably ahead in score.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
And when exactly would you use PP2 instead of PP1 which is a top 3 PP in the league?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad