Rumor: Ranger Scouts watching Colorado tonight.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
o rly?
4 Michael Del Zotto 6' 0" 195
44 Justin Falk 6' 5" 215
5 Dan Girardi 6' 1" 203
27 Ryan McDonagh 6' 1" 213
17 John Moore 6' 3" 202
18 Marc Staal "A" 6' 4" 207
6 Anton Stralman 5' 11" 190

Dude Stralman isn't even 6', bunch of cream puffs. Might as well just watch the power puff girls.

Orr Nightmare

Nov 18, 2009
o rly?
4 Michael Del Zotto 6' 0" 195
44 Justin Falk 6' 5" 215
5 Dan Girardi 6' 1" 203
27 Ryan McDonagh 6' 1" 213
17 John Moore 6' 3" 202
18 Marc Staal "A" 6' 4" 207
6 Anton Stralman 5' 11" 190

Take out Del Zotto and insert Barrie, 5'10 190 and take out Giradi and put in Vatanen, 5'10 175, exactly what the doctor ordered.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Take out Del Zotto and insert Barrie, 5'10 190 and take out Giradi and put in Vatanen, 5'10 175, exactly what the doctor ordered.

Size means nothing in all honesty.

You can still play with an edge and be hard to play against at 5'7.

Darius Kasparitis would be disappointed in you.

a tribe cq

Jan 15, 2013
Do either of these guy play with an edge?

Both do.

Actually Vaatanen surprisingly might have more of the edge out of the two. He throws his body around every chance he can get and stays low and is pretty explosive in doing so.

They won't be your fighters, they won't lead the team in hits, but they won't shy away from being physical at all.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Both do.

Actually Vaatanen surprisingly might have more of the edge out of the two. He throws his body around every chance he can get and stays low and is pretty explosive in doing so.

They won't be your fighters, they won't lead the team in hits, but they won't shy away from being physical at all.

Vatanen has 46 hits this year. McD has 56.

So it doesn't seem to be an issue with him not playing a physical game. Whether he is good at it is another discussion.

I haven't watched either enough to say.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010

So it doesn't seem to be an issue with him not playing a physical game. Whether he is good at it is another discussion.

Not to mention MSG is pretty liberal with what they call a hit.

I understand the need for toughness but the team also needs some good offense too.

On another note they probably had 2 scouts at the avs/sens game so one could watch the avs and the other watch the sens. Though that's probably nothing you guys didn't already know. Haha.

a tribe cq

Jan 15, 2013

McD has played in 11 more games IIRC though

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
McD has played in 11 more games IIRC though

I wasent knocking him at all. Just saying their hit totals are similar.

Can play a physical game at any size. Being small is no more an indication of not being physical than being big means you are. Plenty examples either way.

Weight to me is more significant than height as well. 5'10 200+ is rock solid.

a tribe cq

Jan 15, 2013
I wasent knocking him at all. Just saying their hit totals are similar.

Can play a physical game at any size. Being small is no more an indication of not being physical than being big means you are. Plenty examples either way.

Weight to me is more significant than height as well. 5'10 200+ is rock solid.

No I know that wasn't a knock.

I was just kind of making a point that Vatanen might actually take the body a touch more than McD. With that said he's obviously not in the same caliber and McD can overpower opponents into turnovers without the hit stat even being looked at just on strength alone.

Vatanen is about 5'10, 190lbs at the moment, but is only 22 and should fill out with more mass in the near future.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm not huge on undersized blueliners, they have to be quite good.

We can take this guy because MDZ isn't a giant himself, but not having enough sizeable blueliners isn't something that should be blithely dismissed as just WWE fans wanting goonery.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
^ Seriously, a Barrie/Del Sotto swap costs this team what, 5 lbs?

CupiM.gif

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Size is definitely important for defensemen. It's by no means the be all end all...but you need an effective reach and a solid frame to hold your own in net front/corner battles.

Is there room for a Vatanen, Barrie or two? Of course. But to say that size is irrelevent is a real stretch when it comes to defensemen.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Barrie fits that bill.

The one thing about Barrie is his wheels. He's got a great stride and is very smooth skating with the puck. Fits in with guys like staal, mcd, Stalin and Moore. A

As good as his wheels are, I'm not sure at 5'10 he's got the size to play a ton of minutes.

I would like him in a rangers jersey just not for del zotto straight up.

Yes, I agree with you that DZ for Barrie straight up is lateral. Colorado would definitely have to add, I suggested a 2nd. Could probably pry away McGinn too.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I love a ton of guys in Colorado. What's realistically acquirable is a different story.

If they are going to end up moving O'Reilly I'd pay a hefty price to get in on that. The backhand goal he scored tonight was a beauty. He's a great player. Very unlikely he's available or we'd be in on a move of that magnitude. Likewise, if they're going to keep O'Reilly they may consider moving Stastny, who is a upcoming UFA. I would love to be in on that as well, but it's probably best not to move assets for a guy you may have a chance at for free. He's like a more talented Stepan. Very similar game. In fact, I may not be able to think of a better comparison. They would make a great one-two punch. Again, it's doubtful we're in on something of that magnitude right now.

What's realistic? Barrie is the obvious target. Colorado is doing great and could use some more established D. Del Zotto and Barrie are nearly mirror images. Barrie is one year younger, has less NHL experience (DZ began his career quite young) and plays a similar game. He's prone to similar mistakes but has less experience and they're not as glaring/look more correctable. Him being a righty makes him a very sensible choice for us. I think DZ for Barrie is a low cost/high reward type of gamble for both teams. If all goes well, both guys should be 40pt #4 dmen. It just makes too much sense.

What else is realistic? McGinn would be a great addition for us. He has more scoring touch than he's given credit for. Colorado's offense is deep so he doesn't get a ton of top six time, but occasionally he does and on those instances he produces fairly consistently. I've watched a lot of Avs games the last couple years and he also hits an obscene amount of posts. He's very physical and he's got serious wheels. He's like a tougher Hagelin. I like him a lot.

I also think it would be a good move to look into bringing Mitchell back. He's really kind of found/solidified his game as an excellent bottom six center. He can play third line, no problem. Far more effectively than Moore/Boyle but can also be a great fourth line C and PK guy. He's turned into quite a warrior as well, playing through pain and stitches a lot. Another low cost/high reward kind of guy. He could be a real solidifying force at a low cost. He's certainly a better option than most of our bottom six guys of his ilk.

Punxrocknyc19*

I love a ton of guys in Colorado. What's realistically acquirable is a different story.

If they are going to end up moving O'Reilly I'd pay a hefty price to get in on that. The backhand goal he scored tonight was a beauty. He's a great player. Very unlikely he's available or we'd be in on a move of that magnitude. Likewise, if they're going to keep O'Reilly they may consider moving Stastny, who is a upcoming UFA. I would love to be in on that as well, but it's probably best not to move assets for a guy you may have a chance at for free. He's like a more talented Stepan. Very similar game. In fact, I may not be able to think of a better comparison. They would make a great one-two punch. Again, it's doubtful we're in on something of that magnitude right now.

What's realistic? Barrie is the obvious target. Colorado is doing great and could use some more established D. Del Zotto and Barrie are nearly mirror images. Barrie is one year younger, has less NHL experience (DZ began his career quite young) and plays a similar game. He's prone to similar mistakes but has less experience and they're not as glaring/look more correctable. Him being a righty makes him a very sensible choice for us. I think DZ for Barrie is a low cost/high reward type of gamble for both teams. If all goes well, both guys should be 40pt #4 dmen. It just makes too much sense.

What else is realistic? McGinn would be a great addition for us. He has more scoring touch than he's given credit for. Colorado's offense is deep so he doesn't get a ton of top six time, but occasionally he does and on those instances he produces fairly consistently. I've watched a lot of Avs games the last couple years and he also hits an obscene amount of posts. He's very physical and he's got serious wheels. He's like a tougher Hagelin. I like him a lot.

I also think it would be a good move to look into bringing Mitchell back. He's really kind of found/solidified his game as an excellent bottom six center. He can play third line, no problem. Far more effectively than Moore/Boyle but can also be a great fourth line C and PK guy. He's turned into quite a warrior as well, playing through pain and stitches a lot. Another low cost/high reward kind of guy. He could be a real solidifying force at a low cost. He's certainly a better option than most of our bottom six guys of his ilk.

id love McGinn and i wouldnt mind Cody McLeod.. he is a tough guy that the Rangers can use. someone with much needed size.

a tribe cq

Jan 15, 2013
No room for Mitchell on this team anymore.

Can't see McLeod slotting in over anyone really either, although I do like him alot.

McGinn would have to be the secondary piece if there is one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad