Raleigh and the Triangle - A Visitor's and Local's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
As for BBQ - Carolina sauce is my favorite sauce of them all, so I'll be heading to a lot of different spots while I'm out there. If anyone wants to throw me a recommendation or five, that'd be cool
Swig and Swine had the best f***ing brisket I’ve ever tasted. It melted in the mouth. We got a whole platter of food there once and it was all fantastic.

6E9311B0-5302-48B7-9433-E6C16E00B750.jpeg

Reactions: MinJerkBen

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Yeah you guys are gonna love Charleston. It’s one of the most beautiful cities I’ve ever visited. Park near the battery and just walk around. There’s a bunch of fantastic restaurants within easy walking distance. There’s also a cool indoor ‘street’ market bets a whole block long with all sorts of vendors selling a wide assortment of fun stuff.

For your wife there’s just so much around the area to check out. The USS Yorktown is nearby along with a couple of other ships and a submarine. Fort Sumter is also a short ferry ride away.

If you guys are into nature at all, check out the Angel Oak, it is the coolest tree you’ll ever see.

That's what I've heard, that Charleston is a jaw-droppingly beautiful city. Just looking at pictures makes me consider it one of the few places I'd move to. If the general vibe and culture of the city matches its aesthetic, we might just become a pair of those rare Colorado expats someday.

I'll mention those things to her when I get the chance. I imagine she'll be glad she won't have to research as much for this trip as for our last vacation, haha. As for the Angel Oak, we went and saw the Tree of Life when we were in Maui, so I guess trees are something we're interested in? I've never really thought about it that way, but I suppose it's true. We'll probably definitely visit the Angel Oak while we're there.

Careful, a statement like that might start world war 3 on this board. :laugh:

There isn't really a "Carolina" Sauce.

Eastern NC is primarily a vinegar based sauce with spices and pepper.
Western NC is vinegar based, but has tomato/ketchup added.
There are variations between the two.

South Carolina has different varieties. Most people assume South Carolina is just mustard based, but I believe they have areas in SC that have a vinegar based (similar to Eastern NC), a light tomato based (similar to Western NC), a Mustard based sauce, and a Heavy Tomato based sauce

Sorry! I forgot how serious BBQ was in that region of the States. I suppose I should say that my favorite types of BBQ sauce are vinegar-based and mustard-based, and it appears the Carolinas have both types of sauce down to a science.

(But for real, Eastern NC sounds like it would be my favorite.)

Swig and Swine had the best ****ing brisket I’ve ever tasted. It melted in the mouth. We got a whole platter of food there once and it was all fantastic.

View attachment 259077

Jesus. That is one of the more beautiful food pictures I've ever seen. It's only 9:45am here, but I really want some meat right now. Is it wrong to eat BBQ for breakfast?

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It all looks like my yearly allowance of cholesterol. Heck, probably a 2-3 year allowance.

My LDL just went up by looking at that picture.

Did you know the US Dietary Guidelines (very quietly) removed the recommended the daily cholesterol limit, citing a lack of evidence that dietary cholesterol is linked to LDL in the blood?

Granted, many cholesterol-rich foods are also super fatty and whatnot, but heard about that recently and thought it was interesting. Major change that they kinda snuck in without much fanfare.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Did you know the US Dietary Guidelines (very quietly) removed the recommended the daily cholesterol limit, citing a lack of evidence that dietary cholesterol is linked to LDL in the blood?

Granted, many cholesterol-rich foods are also super fatty and whatnot, but heard about that recently and thought it was interesting. Major change that they kinda snuck in without much fanfare.

Yeah, I was joking. I don't monitor my cholesterol intake and eat eggs regularly and my cholesterol (with the help of statins) was the best ever last month. I do watch saturated fats though, which is why I only had a little of the steak I cooked last night and only have beef probably 1-2 times / month.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
This is some really helpful information! Thank you again for taking the time to type it all out for me. I'll read through the OP when I get the chance, as that looks to be a super comprehensive guide and just about exactly what I'm looking for. We don't have something like that on the Avs board, so I skipped the previous posts in the thread and would have missed it if you didn't point it out.

As for BBQ - Carolina sauce is my favorite sauce of them all, so I'll be heading to a lot of different spots while I'm out there. If anyone wants to throw me a recommendation or five, that'd be cool.

I appreciate all the help and responses you sent my way. I'd give you some likes but it doesn't appear as though you need them. I guess if you ever make your way out to Colorado, let me know and I'll try to do something similarly comprehensive for you.

Yeah you guys are gonna love Charleston. It’s one of the most beautiful cities I’ve ever visited. Park near the battery and just walk around. There’s a bunch of fantastic restaurants within easy walking distance. There’s also a cool indoor ‘street’ market bets a whole block long with all sorts of vendors selling a wide assortment of fun stuff.

For your wife there’s just so much around the area to check out. The USS Yorktown is nearby along with a couple of other ships and a submarine. Fort Sumter is also a short ferry ride away.

If you guys are into nature at all, check out the Angel Oak, it is the coolest tree you’ll ever see.

The ships at Patriots Point are USS Yorktown (CV-10), USS Laffey (DD-724), and USS Clamagore (SS-343). I'd definitely recommend going as there's discussions off and on about sinking Clamagore to be an artificial reef, which would be a shame because she's the only surviving example of her type of sub. Laffey is somewhat famous as "The Ship That Wouldn't Die," sustaining damage from 4 bombs, 6 kamikaze crashes, and numerous strafing runs from Japanese aircraft. Yorktown, meanwhile, recovered the astronauts from Apollo 8 and was used in the filming of Tora! Tora! Tora! and The Philadelphia Experiment. Patriot's Point relies heavily on admissions and donations to continue preserving these ships (which is one of the reasons they've had to sell/get rid of other ships in their collection and are considering the sale/disposal of Clamagore - they get money from the state, but not enough to keep the lights on, as it were.

Careful, a statement like that might start world war 3 on this board. :laugh:

There isn't really a "Carolina" Sauce.

Eastern NC is primarily a vinegar based sauce with spices and pepper.
Western NC is vinegar based, but has tomato/ketchup added.
There are variations between the two.

South Carolina has different varieties. Most people assume South Carolina is just mustard based, but I believe they have areas in SC that have a vinegar based (similar to Eastern NC), a light tomato based (similar to Western NC), a Mustard based sauce, and a Heavy Tomato based sauce

Correct.

As for Durham places to go, I'd recommend Viceroy (Indian), Geer Street Garden (Southern/New American), Jack Tar and the Colonel's Daughter (Southern/New American), Watts Grocery (New American), Pompieri (Pizza), Dashi (Ramen), Nuvotaco (Tex-Mex), Only Burger, Bull City Burger, Guglhupf (German), and Saltbox (Seafood)

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
The ships at Patriots Point are USS Yorktown (CV-10), USS Laffey (DD-724), and USS Clamagore (SS-343). I'd definitely recommend going as there's discussions off and on about sinking Clamagore to be an artificial reef, which would be a shame because she's the only surviving example of her type of sub. Laffey is somewhat famous as "The Ship That Wouldn't Die," sustaining damage from 4 bombs, 6 kamikaze crashes, and numerous strafing runs from Japanese aircraft. Yorktown, meanwhile, recovered the astronauts from Apollo 8 and was used in the filming of Tora! Tora! Tora! and The Philadelphia Experiment. Patriot's Point relies heavily on admissions and donations to continue preserving these ships (which is one of the reasons they've had to sell/get rid of other ships in their collection and are considering the sale/disposal of Clamagore - they get money from the state, but not enough to keep the lights on, as it were.

Correct.

As for Durham places to go, I'd recommend Viceroy (Indian), Geer Street Garden (Southern/New American), Jack Tar and the Colonel's Daughter (Southern/New American), Watts Grocery (New American), Pompieri (Pizza), Dashi (Ramen), Nuvotaco (Tex-Mex), Only Burger, Bull City Burger, Guglhupf (German), and Saltbox (Seafood)
Patriots Point sounds like the type of place my wife would absolutely love to go. It sounds really interesting to me, as well. I went to Pearl Harbor a few years back during a vacation, and there was a certain energy to the ships they had on display there. I've never been on a sub before, and I'd love to check one out while we're in South Carolina. Thanks for the info!

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Agree on Saltbox, Nuvotaco and Dashi.

Disagree on Pompieri; Pizzeria Toro is better. Also not impressed by Jack Tar, but eh.

Would add Lucky's if you like classic American deli, and Mothers & Sons if you like upscale Italian (not just the red sauce places) and great classic amaros. Some of their bottles date to the 50s.

If you like cocktails, Bar Virgile and Kingfisher are great bets.

Watts Grocery is closed; Amy went bankrupt this summer.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Agree on Saltbox, Nuvotaco and Dashi.

Disagree on Pompieri; Pizzeria Toro is better. Also not impressed by Jack Tar, but eh.

Would add Lucky's if you like classic American deli, and Mothers & Sons if you like upscale Italian (not just the red sauce places) and great classic amaros. Some of their bottles date to the 50s.

If you like cocktails, Bar Virgile and Kingfisher are great bets.

Watts Grocery is closed; Amy went bankrupt this summer.

Damn Hank thanks for reminding me about Watts. I had forgotten they shut their doors. Have you tried Hutchens Garage yet to gauge their pizza? Personally I like Pompieri over Toro but that's just me. Plus how can you go wrong with Italian poutine? Give me that, a Boppy's Salad, and a Drunken Horse and a pint of their beer and I'm happy

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hi everyone.

Is there a bar close to PNC Arena where they will have Center Ice? In or attached to the arena?

I'll be in NC for a work meeting and am interested in attending your opener vs the Habs and seeing one of those cool ass celebrations afterwards. Our game starts 90 minutes later so if there is somewhere close enough I can catch 2nd and 3rd period.

Thanks!

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Hi everyone.

Is there a bar close to PNC Arena where they will have Center Ice? In or attached to the arena?

I'll be in NC for a work meeting and am interested in attending your opener vs the Habs and seeing one of those cool ass celebrations afterwards. Our game starts 90 minutes later so if there is somewhere close enough I can catch 2nd and 3rd period.

Thanks!

Backyard Bistro is the only bar "close" to PNC, aka within walking distance. Not sure if they have Center Ice.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Don’t worry, I’ll help you even it out since I’m heading to South & North Carolina in February when the Avs play there. It’ll be my first time in either Carolina (first time in the South, really). I’ll have my “bunch of jerks” t-shirt with me, but apart from that, I’m going in without any ties to the area.

Any suggestions for places to visit in either state? I mean this is a question to the entire Canes fandom, not just you. I’ll be there for an entire week, so I’ll have time to roam around and explore and go to places off the beaten path, if anyone has any suggestions more in line with that.

If you have never been to Myrtle Beach, you should go at least once in your life. You will not regret it. I will let this guy do all the talking about why you should visit Dirty Myrtle.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
If you have never been to Myrtle Beach, you should go at least once in your life. You will not regret it. I will let this guy do all the talking about why you should visit Dirty Myrtle.

I've got a buddy whose family travels to Myrtle Beach every summer for vacation. I had no idea they were up to these kinds of activities, but it explains so much...

As for me, I would be a fish out of water in a place like that. My wife's parents are from Alabama and West Virginia, so she'd probably fit right in. My family hails from the Dakotas, so we've got similar personalities in our family, but none of them to the extent that was shown in that video.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sorry! I forgot how serious BBQ was in that region of the States. I suppose I should say that my favorite types of BBQ sauce are vinegar-based and mustard-based, and it appears the Carolinas have both types of sauce down to a science.

(But for real, Eastern NC sounds like it would be my favorite.)

Looks like I need to add another person to my ignore list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad