Raleigh and the Triangle - A Visitor's and Local's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Is the strip club in Cary near the train station still going? I seem to remember reading that they lost their liquor license for some reason. On another note, the fact that Cary even has/had such a club is an amusing thought given the reputation it has for being strict for things like what color you can paint your house, not to mention it being the stereotypical american family town.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Is the strip club in Cary near the train station still going? I seem to remember reading that they lost their liquor license for some reason. On another note, the fact that Cary even has/had such a club is an amusing thought given the reputation it has for being strict for things like what color you can paint your house, not to mention it being the stereotypical american family town.
Bond Brothers? :sarcasm:

Reactions: HisIceness

MisterEd89

Jan 12, 2018
Section 324

It is still there and you have to BYOB because they surrendered their liquor license so that they could stay open until 4AM and allow full nudity. This was the talk of the town for a little while when this happened.
Nude club shakes up Cary's staid image :: WRAL.com

I second the amusement Cary hasn't found a way to shut this place down, since we couldn't have Bojangles for years because their awnings were orange...

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
It is still there and you have to BYOB because they surrendered their liquor license so that they could stay open until 4AM and allow full nudity. This was the talk of the town for a little while when this happened.

I second the amusement Cary hasn't found a way to shut this place down, since we couldn't have Bojangles for years because their awnings were orange...

Boobies and juice!

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

:laugh: I had no idea about this but damn thats funny. It also makes sense as to why all the fast food restaurants in town for years all had that ugly light green color on the awnings that I've never seen anywhere else. Even all the f***ing McDonalds had this.

But nothing in Cary will ever top the guy who painted "Screwed by the Town of Cary" on his house, all while driving around town in his brand new convertible. RIP to that guy btw, heard he passed a few years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

jaloviina

1-2-3 stars!
Dec 24, 2015
Bunch of Jerks Finland
I am sorry to inform you my fellow jerks that Ill be going to Denver. my schedule is as follows 30.10. avs vs panthers, 31.10 wu tang clan @ red rocks, 1.11. avs vs stars, 6.11. kurt vile , 7.11. avs vs preds and 9.11. avs blue jackets. good gigs and good games. (wu-tang!) so please don't judge me too harshly :help:

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
If I am wanting to stay close to rink and wanting to stay around $100, do you guys suggest Wingate by Wyndham State Arena on Corporate Ridge Blvd or Ramada by Wyndham on Blue Ridge Road. Prices are roughly the same and same reviews on line. Is one better than other for nearby restaurants and stuff?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
You can walk to the arena from the Ramada, which also means you can walk to Backyard Bistro.

Pretty much this. The Wingate's next to a McDonald's and a Sheetz and that's about it. The Ramada, at least, you can grab an Uber/Lyft down to the area around Rex where there's several restaurants and a bottle shop, and also a little further down is a shopping center with more restaurants.

Reactions: Francis10 and DaveG

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I am sorry to inform you my fellow jerks that Ill be going to Denver. my schedule is as follows 30.10. avs vs panthers, 31.10 wu tang clan @ red rocks, 1.11. avs vs stars, 6.11. kurt vile , 7.11. avs vs preds and 9.11. avs blue jackets. good gigs and good games. (wu-tang!) so please don't judge me too harshly :help:
Don’t worry, I’ll help you even it out since I’m heading to South & North Carolina in February when the Avs play there. It’ll be my first time in either Carolina (first time in the South, really). I’ll have my “bunch of jerks” t-shirt with me, but apart from that, I’m going in without any ties to the area.

Any suggestions for places to visit in either state? I mean this is a question to the entire Canes fandom, not just you. I’ll be there for an entire week, so I’ll have time to roam around and explore and go to places off the beaten path, if anyone has any suggestions more in line with that.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Don’t worry, I’ll help you even it out since I’m heading to South & North Carolina in February when the Avs play there. It’ll be my first time in either Carolina (first time in the South, really). I’ll have my “bunch of jerks” t-shirt with me, but apart from that, I’m going in without any ties to the area.

Any suggestions for places to visit in either state? I mean this is a question to the entire Canes fandom, not just you. I’ll be there for an entire week, so I’ll have time to roam around and explore and go to places off the beaten path, if anyone has any suggestions more in line with that.

Depends what you are interested in and how far you want to travel. None of these are really "off the beaten path"

Asheville, NC is a great city to visit. Excellent restaurants, great art and music scene, more breweries per capita than any city in the US (including home to some big ones like Sierra Nevada and New Belgium's eastern breweries, home to the historic Biltmore Estate and also in/near the blue ridge mountains. February might be a bit cold in Asheville though and it's about a 4 hour drive from Raleigh/Durham. Greenville SC is a neat little town to visit and isn't far from Asheville.

On the other side of things is Charleston which is worth a visit. It's also about a 4 hour drive, but in the other direction.

Depending on what you are interested in though, you could spend a few days each in Raleigh and Durham. If hiking trails is your thing, there's Umstead State Park right between Raleigh and Durham. There are a bunch of nice museums that you might see Dougie Hamilton at :sarcasm:. The NC Museum of Art, Science Museums in both Durham and Raleigh, etc.... Lots of music venues in both Durham and Raleigh. The Durham Center for Performing Arts is a phenomenal venue so if there's something worth seeing while you are here, you may want to check it out.

Walking around Duke University is pretty neat. I took my nephew there when he was visiting and we were able to get into Cameron Indoor Arena to look around, but the campus itself with all the old buildings and architecture is pretty remarkable.

The outer banks will be cold at that time, but still a neat place to visit with all the lighthouses, the Wright Brothers museum, Jockey Ridge State park (huge sand dunes). Will be less crowded in Feb. for sure. That's about a 3 hour drive from Raleigh.

The board could give you recommendations "off the beaten path" if we knew what type of things you were interested in. This guy does a local tv show about a lot of off the beaten path spots in NC, so you may want to check it out.

https://www.thetarheeltraveler.com/travels

Last edited:
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Depends what you are interested in and how far you want to travel. None of these are really "off the beaten path"

Asheville, NC is a great city to visit. Excellent restaurants, great art and music scene, more breweries per capita than any city in the US (including home to some big ones like Sierra Nevada and New Belgium's eastern breweries, home to the historic Biltmore Estate and also in/near the blue ridge mountains. February might be a bit cold in Asheville though and it's about a 4 hour drive from Raleigh/Durham. Greenville SC is a neat little town to visit and isn't far from Asheville.

On the other side of things is Charleston which is worth a visit. It's also about a 4 hour drive, but in the other direction.

Depending on what you are interested in though, you could spend a few days each in Raleigh and Durham. If hiking trails is your thing, there's Umstead State Park right between Raleigh and Durham. There are a bunch of nice museums that you might see Dougie Hamilton at :sarcasm:. The NC Museum of Art, Science Museums in both Durham and Raleigh, etc.... Lots of music venues in both Durham and Raleigh. The Durham Center for Performing Arts is a phenomenal venue so if there's something worth seeing while you are here, you may want to check it out.

Walking around Duke University is pretty neat. I took my nephew there when he was visiting and we were able to get into Cameron Indoor Arena to look around, but the campus itself with all the old buildings and architecture is pretty remarkable.

The outer banks will be cold at that time, but still a neat place to visit with all the lighthouses, the Wright Brothers museum, Jockey Ridge State park (huge sand dunes). Will be less crowded in Feb. for sure. That's about a 3 hour drive from Raleigh.

The board could give you recommendations "off the beaten path" if we knew what type of things you were interested in. This guy does a local tv show about a lot of off the beaten path spots in NC, so you may want to check it out.

https://www.thetarheeltraveler.com/travels
Thank you muchly!

My wife and I are staying in Mt Pleasant for the majority of our trip, which I guess is very close to Charleston. I've always wanted to go to Charleston, personally, which is why we're staying there for most of our trip instead of in Raleigh. We'll be renting a car so we'll have access to get to the other areas you listed. Based on your description, I definitely want to check out Asheville and maybe the Outer Banks.

As for what we're interested in, that's tough to say since we're interested in different things. My wife is interested in the historical aspects of the locations we visit - seeing the old buildings, visiting famous sites, etc. I'm more interested in the culture of the places we visit - going to places where the locals congregate, going to highly touted restaurants, walking the streets and just generally trying to get to know a place as it currently is, not as it once was. There's some overlap there, but while she might want to go to a place like Duke University, I'd prefer going to a good bar and trying to meet people from around the area.

We have a week to kill between both South Carolina and North Carolina before the Avs game that marks the end of our trip. Do you think that's enough time to soak in what we're both looking for? If not, that's fine, as I plan on making my way back to the area if I enjoy it this time around. As someone who's never been to the South, I'd much prefer spending time in the Carolinas, Virginia, etc., instead of going anywhere in the deep South. That would probably be too much of a culture shock for my Rocky Mountain ass.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Thank you muchly!

My wife and I are staying in Mt Pleasant for the majority of our trip, which I guess is very close to Charleston. I've always wanted to go to Charleston, personally, which is why we're staying there for most of our trip instead of in Raleigh. We'll be renting a car so we'll have access to get to the other areas you listed. Based on your description, I definitely want to check out Asheville and maybe the Outer Banks.

As for what we're interested in, that's tough to say since we're interested in different things. My wife is interested in the historical aspects of the locations we visit - seeing the old buildings, visiting famous sites, etc. I'm more interested in the culture of the places we visit - going to places where the locals congregate, going to highly touted restaurants, walking the streets and just generally trying to get to know a place as it currently is, not as it once was. There's some overlap there, but while she might want to go to a place like Duke University, I'd prefer going to a good bar and trying to meet people from around the area.

We have a week to kill between both South Carolina and North Carolina before the Avs game that marks the end of our trip. Do you think that's enough time to soak in what we're both looking for? If not, that's fine, as I plan on making my way back to the area if I enjoy it this time around. As someone who's never been to the South, I'd much prefer spending time in the Carolinas, Virginia, etc., instead of going anywhere in the deep South. That would probably be too much of a culture shock for my Rocky Mountain ass.

Asheville wouldn't work as a day trip, but with places like the Biltmore Estate (will take most of the day if you visit there, but it's worth it), Grove Park Inn, etc.. and a host of outstanding restaurants (Nightbell, Curate, the Admiral, Laughing Seed Cafe (vegetarian), among others...) and a bunch of breweries, it would have something for both of you. It is about 4 hours from Mt. Pleasant so you could probably drive to Asheville 1 morning, spend the day at Biltmore then hit a nice restaurant, hit a brewery or two, then head to a downtown bar to listen to some music, stay overnight, then spend the day in downtown Asheville, which has a vibrant arts culture, have lunch and head back. My wife and I try to get there for at least a night or two every year.

I've only been to Charleston a couple times so can't really comment on that other than to say it definitely has both of what you are looking for, both historical and outstanding restaurants.

Raleigh and Durham have some outstanding restaurants with nationally renowned Chef's. Ashley Christensen just recently won the James Beard Award for Outstanding Chef in the country and she has multiple restaurants in downtown Raleigh: Poole's Diner, Death & Taxes, Beasley's Chicken and Honey, Chuck's (burgers), Fox Liquor Bar, Poole Side Pies (Pizza). Two other place you might want to try in Raleigh include Brewery Bhavana (a Dim Sum restaurant co-located with a brewery, a flower shop and a book store) which has also received national recognition multiple times. Seems like an odd combination, but it works. Only caution is that it's loud in there. The other is Bida Manda, a Loatian based restuarant, which is right next to Brewery Bhavana and has the same owner. If you want to go there though, you need to book now as it's hard to get reservations there, unless you want to eat really early or really late, Friday and Saturday are the worst. A friend of mine recommended the Stanbury, but I've yet to try it out. The "Pit" in Raleigh is one of the more famous BBQ places, and while good, I thought it was kind of pricey. I won't try to recommend a BBQ place though, as you will find that opinion's vary greatly on this board, but there are a bunch of very good ones all over both states so ask the locals where-ever you are at the time.

Morgan Street Food Hall just opened recently in Raleigh and has a bunch of different offerings, although I've yet to get there.

Someone like @garnetpalmetto can probably give advice on Durham restaurants as I don't know them as well.

If you haven't read the first post in this thread, I'd recommend it as GP put a lot of information on places to go, things to see, etc...

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Asheville wouldn't work as a day trip, but with places like the Biltmore Estate (will take most of the day if you visit there, but it's worth it), Grove Park Inn, etc.. and a host of outstanding restaurants (Nightbell, Curate, the Admiral, Laughing Seed Cafe (vegetarian), among others...) and a bunch of breweries, it would have something for both of you. It is about 4 hours from Mt. Pleasant so you could probably drive to Asheville 1 morning, spend the day at Biltmore then hit a nice restaurant, hit a brewery or two, then head to a downtown bar to listen to some music, stay overnight, then spend the day in downtown Asheville, which has a vibrant arts culture, have lunch and head back. My wife and I try to get there for at least a night or two every year.

I've only been to Charleston a couple times so can't really comment on that other than to say it definitely has both of what you are looking for, both historical and outstanding restaurants.

Raleigh and Durham have some outstanding restaurants with nationally renowned Chef's. Ashley Christensen just recently won the James Beard Award for Outstanding Chef in the country and she has multiple restaurants in downtown Raleigh: Poole's Diner, Death & Taxes, Beasley's Chicken and Honey, Chuck's (burgers), Fox Liquor Bar, Poole Side Pies (Pizza). Two other place you might want to try in Raleigh include Brewery Bhavana (a Dim Sum restaurant co-located with a brewery, a flower shop and a book store) which has also received national recognition multiple times. Seems like an odd combination, but it works. Only caution is that it's loud in there. The other is Bida Manda, a Loatian based restuarant, which is right next to Brewery Bhavana and has the same owner. If you want to go there though, you need to book now as it's hard to get reservations there, unless you want to eat really early or really late, Friday and Saturday are the worst. A friend of mine recommended the Stanbury, but I've yet to try it out. The "Pit" in Raleigh is one of the more famous BBQ places, and while good, I thought it was kind of pricey. I won't try to recommend a BBQ place though, as you will find that opinion's vary greatly on this board, but there are a bunch of very good ones all over both states so ask the locals where-ever you are at the time.

Morgan Street Food Hall just opened recently in Raleigh and has a bunch of different offerings, although I've yet to get there.

Someone like @garnetpalmetto can probably give advice on Durham restaurants as I don't know them as well.

If you haven't read the first post in this thread, I'd recommend it as GP put a lot of information on places to go, things to see, etc...
This is some really helpful information! Thank you again for taking the time to type it all out for me. I'll read through the OP when I get the chance, as that looks to be a super comprehensive guide and just about exactly what I'm looking for. We don't have something like that on the Avs board, so I skipped the previous posts in the thread and would have missed it if you didn't point it out.

As for BBQ - Carolina sauce is my favorite sauce of them all, so I'll be heading to a lot of different spots while I'm out there. If anyone wants to throw me a recommendation or five, that'd be cool.

I appreciate all the help and responses you sent my way. I'd give you some likes but it doesn't appear as though you need them. I guess if you ever make your way out to Colorado, let me know and I'll try to do something similarly comprehensive for you.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Yeah you guys are gonna love Charleston. It’s one of the most beautiful cities I’ve ever visited. Park near the battery and just walk around. There’s a bunch of fantastic restaurants within easy walking distance. There’s also a cool indoor ‘street’ market bets a whole block long with all sorts of vendors selling a wide assortment of fun stuff.

For your wife there’s just so much around the area to check out. The USS Yorktown is nearby along with a couple of other ships and a submarine. Fort Sumter is also a short ferry ride away.

If you guys are into nature at all, check out the Angel Oak, it is the coolest tree you’ll ever see.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
This is some really helpful information! Thank you again for taking the time to type it all out for me. I'll read through the OP when I get the chance, as that looks to be a super comprehensive guide and just about exactly what I'm looking for. We don't have something like that on the Avs board, so I skipped the previous posts in the thread and would have missed it if you didn't point it out.

As for BBQ - Carolina sauce is my favorite sauce of them all, so I'll be heading to a lot of different spots while I'm out there. If anyone wants to throw me a recommendation or five, that'd be cool.

I appreciate all the help and responses you sent my way. I'd give you some likes but it doesn't appear as though you need them. I guess if you ever make your way out to Colorado, let me know and I'll try to do something similarly comprehensive for you.

Careful, a statement like that might start world war 3 on this board. :laugh:

There isn't really a "Carolina" Sauce.

Eastern NC is primarily a vinegar based sauce with spices and pepper.
Western NC is vinegar based, but has tomato/ketchup added.
There are variations between the two.

South Carolina has different varieties. Most people assume South Carolina is just mustard based, but I believe they have areas in SC that have a vinegar based (similar to Eastern NC), a light tomato based (similar to Western NC), a Mustard based sauce, and a Heavy Tomato based sauce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad