Raleigh and the Triangle - A Visitor's and Local's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Hope you enjoy it, Echoes. By all means, let the HFCanes travel agency know what you've got planned or if you need any recommendations on beer, wine, or food whilst you're in the City of Oaks.

I'm likely checking out the state capitol, maybe a few museums or something downtown since that's where I'll be staying. And I wouldn't mind going to Duke or NC State. Is cabbing the best way to get to PNC?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm likely checking out the state capitol, maybe a few museums or something downtown since that's where I'll be staying. And I wouldn't mind going to Duke or NC State. Is cabbing the best way to get to PNC?

I'd say your best options are either the Caniac Coach, a taxi (main company in town is Taxi Taxi), or Uber or Lyft. The Canes have a partnership with Uber and the PNC Arena staff are pretty good about giving them some priority getting in and out.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I'd say your best options are either the Caniac Coach, a taxi (main company in town is Taxi Taxi), or Uber or Lyft. The Canes have a partnership with Uber and the PNC Arena staff are pretty good about giving them some priority getting in and out.

Super helpful man much appreciated. The caniac coach is actually offered at one of the restaurants I planned on going to anyway so I can knock out two birds with one stone by getting lunch there. Get me some good southern BBQ :yo:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Super helpful man much appreciated. The caniac coach is actually offered at one of the restaurants I planned on going to anyway so I can knock out two birds with one stone by getting lunch there. Get me some good southern BBQ :yo:

If you're talking BBQ and a Caniac Coach stop I assume you're going to go to The Pit? Good choice. Keep in mind the routes and times for the Coach. You can also make an easy afternoon in that little area of town as near to The Pit (like a block or two radius) are the Contemporary Art Museum, Boxcar Bar + Arcade, Crank Arm Brewing, Videri Chocolate Factory, and Tasty Beverage.

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
The fairground parking is available and still free this year. Just wanted to confirm that for anyone who doesn't go much and doesn't want to pay $20.00 to park.

I think it's closer than those business buildings down past the football practice fields.

Reactions: HisIceness

Kaner

Aug 3, 2007
I have been following NHL maybe 15-20 years, since I was a little boy. Especially as a kid, I played hockey, watched hockey and read about hockey. I haven't had any special favourite team, because I had followed individual players. Of course there were teams that I liked and teams that I didn't but there has never been clear number 1.

Couple of last years, I have not played a much and also I have not watched NHL very much. I just followed some Finnish players and superstars and I knew that who are the highest scoring players and which teams are doing best. And of course I followed playoffs by looking at results and highlights.

This fall, I have been studying in NC. My interest in hockey started to grow, when the season started. Very early, I bought a tickets to Hurricanes-Ducks game in 29th October to watch my first NHL game in live.

The game was exiting and the whole experience was amazing. The arena was far away of being full but there was still quite a noisy crowd.

After the game, me, my wife and our little son found the place from where the players will drive off the arena. We thought that we want to take an autograph from Aho to our son's Canes jersey which we had bought. It was very cold, and our son was really tired so it wasnt very comfortable to wait. There was couple of guys, Hurricanes fans also waiting. We talked about how we are from Finland and from the same city than Aho, and that we want his autograph. Some of the players came, and stopped and gave autographs to other fans. Then we saw Teuvo driving but he didn't stop. There was couple of guys in his car, but we couldn't see clearly. But I was pretty sure that Aho was there, since they are friends, Finns and live in the same building. So we decided that we will leave and drive back to our home city. We said goodbyes to these other fans and started to walk towards the parking lot. Soon, one of these fans ran to us and gave his Canes jersey, with Aho's name on the back and with Aho's autograph.First I didnt believe that but he gave it to us. It was really amazing act, it saved our whole evening. If you are reading this, we are really really thankful!!

After the event, I felt that there is no other option for me than start to cheer for Hurricanes. Like I said before, I haven't had any strong bonds for any team, but as I live in NC at the moment and when there is so amazing fans, with a big heart like this one fan was, I am absolutely a 100% Canes fan now. It is not a very weird choice for me, since there are Teuvo and Aho in the team. And also I have been always a big fan of Staal brothers who have been a part of Hurricanes history. I just hope that this young team will start to win and succeed, which would hopefully bring more people to PNC Arena.

- New canes fan from Finland

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
This is the guy, he’s our good luck charm who’s gonna turn this franchise into a winner. Longest winning streak in NHL history is on deck, sports fans...76-4-2, here we come!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad