Raleigh and the Triangle - A Visitor's and Local's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
so is that like where southeastern camera and comedyworx used to be? that's a solid spot for something like that.

Either there or across the street where Endless Grind and Flythe Cyclery is. There's also that building on the North side of Peace St and on the West side of West (so kind of diaganolly across the street from Comedyworx/Southeastern camera). I suppose something could go there too.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
Either there or across the street where Endless Grind and Flythe Cyclery is. There's also that building on the North side of Peace St and on the West side of West (so kind of diaganolly across the street from Comedyworx/Southeastern camera). I suppose something could go there too.

That buildings been having construction done on it forever though so i can't imagine it being that.

And by construction, nothing to that magnitude. Plus I don't think there is room there.

Reactions: sheriff bart

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
How long until Harris Teeter tries to one-up them and build in say, the Warehouse District? You know HT wants to get in on this too. Grocery Wars are serious business.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
How long until Harris Teeter tries to one-up them and build in say, the Warehouse District? You know HT wants to get in on this too. Grocery Wars are serious business.

I'm honestly surprised it's not the other way around as Harris-Teeter seems to have more experience building in/around an apartment building (as in North Hills) and Publix in an old warehouse (as in my hometown, Columbia, where Publix took over the long-abandoned Confederate Printing Plant in Columbia's Vista district and turned it into a store)

lrg-5542-gervais_street_publix.jpg

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Harris Teeter just closed a store in Cary, so I'm not sure they're in the frame of mind to be expanding at the moment.

They are always looking to close poor performing stores while opening them in other areas. A quick look shows they opened 10 new stores last year in north carolina and planned on 6 this year (not sure how many of those 6 they did open).

That said, being bought out by Kroger likely means some consolidation, but the biggest threat to Harris Teeter though is both Publix and Wegmans coming to the area. HT was viewed as the high end grocery store in this area with Food Lion, Kroger and Lowes being 2nd viewed as lower end. Publix and Wegmans are aimed right at the same crowd that HT services. HT has dreaded Publix coming to this area for years.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Wegmans is about to blow Harry Teets out of the water on the "high end" grocery store level when they finally arrive here. I've only been into one Wegmans and I was literally blown away on how crazy their stores are, it's not just a normal grocery story, they are an experience.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Wegmans is about to blow Harry Teets out of the water on the "high end" grocery store level when they finally arrive here. I've only been into one Wegmans and I was literally blown away on how crazy their stores are, it's not just a normal grocery story, they are an experience.

Yeah, HT will have some stiff competition from both Publix and Wegmans.

To me, a grocery store is a grocery store and I'll go where I can get the best price / best quality. I've been to Wegmans many times because my wife is from NY and we go back often for visits. The ones where she's from have huge cafeterias where you can get all sorts of foods, sandwich's, Pizza, Sushi, etc.. It isn't just a counter like at HT, it's a full blown, sit down and eat cafeteria/restaurant and her father used to go their for lunch all the time. It was a nice store, but nothing I'd go out of my way to go to just for groceries unless the price was better. Harris Teeter's meat (particularly beef and pork) is better than that the Wegmans I've been to. Wegmans was a poorer selection and higher priced (although that could be due to being in NY). Of the stores around here, Harris Teeter really does have good meat, particularly beef but in general the groceries tend to be higher priced that Food Lion and Kroger. Funny, the only reason I go to Lowes now days is on occasion to fill my growler at the beer station.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Yeah, HT will have some stiff competition from both Publix and Wegmans.

To me, a grocery store is a grocery store and I'll go where I can get the best price / best quality. I've been to Wegmans many times because my wife is from NY and we go back often for visits. The ones where she's from have huge cafeterias where you can get all sorts of foods, sandwich's, Pizza, Sushi, etc.. It isn't just a counter like at HT, it's a full blown, sit down and eat cafeteria/restaurant and her father used to go their for lunch all the time. It was a nice store, but nothing I'd go out of my way to go to just for groceries unless the price was better. Harris Teeter's meat (particularly beef and pork) is better than that the Wegmans I've been to. Wegmans was a poorer selection and higher priced (although that could be due to being in NY). Of the stores around here, Harris Teeter really does have good meat, particularly beef but in general the groceries tend to be higher priced that Food Lion and Kroger. Funny, the only reason I go to Lowes now days is on occasion to fill my growler at the beer station.

Good to know. Yeah I thought Wegmans was shockingly overpriced when I went, tho I was in Jersey. Literally just went to check what the hype was about. It was pretty amazing. I definitely don't see it as my go to grocery store, but I could see me definitely going there taking advantage of their cafeteria, bakery, and specialty items they carry. Will be interesting, one of the Wegmans locations will be about 1.5 miles from my home. Publix is about 1 mile away and I've been maybe 4-5 times since it's opened. I'm always finding myself back at Kroger or the Walmart Grocery Store. Everything at those stores are 25%-30% cheaper vs HT & Lowes.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Good to know. Yeah I thought Wegmans was shockingly overpriced when I went, tho I was in Jersey. Literally just went to check what the hype was about. It was pretty amazing. I definitely don't see it as my go to grocery store, but I could see me definitely going there taking advantage of their cafeteria, bakery, and specialty items they carry. Will be interesting, one of the Wegmans locations will be about 1.5 miles from my home. Publix is about 1 mile away and I've been maybe 4-5 times since it's opened. I'm always finding myself back at Kroger or the Walmart Grocery Store. Everything at those stores are 25%-30% cheaper vs HT & Lowes.

Yep, I go to HT usually for meats and only buy their on sale items and/or use coupons, since they double the coupons. Kroger, Walmart, Food Lion for the rest.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Not tourism related, but I heard Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill are the cheapest high paying software engineering metropolitan area in North America that are also abundant in jobs in that field. I checked a lot of their prices, and it's significantly cheaper to live there than down in Toronto, minus electricity related bills (Which I feel has to do with abundance in tech companies in Toronto). However Raleigh's tech industry is growing crazy, if by some chance I can get a job offer in NC, I wouldn't hesitate at all in moving down there, something I'd do if I was offered a job in California, New York, Texas, Japan, China, etc. (Actually I wouldn't even hesitate in China's case, it's a big fat no I will never go back there ever again no matter what). I also looked at rent and housing and it's much cheaper to get your own place in the Triangle. Only issue is, I haven't found sites that do where people rent out a room in their house for a much cheaper price. I'm currently renting a single room in Toronto in an old house rather than an entire place to myself lol.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Not tourism related, but I heard Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill are the cheapest high paying software engineering metropolitan area in North America that are also abundant in jobs in that field. I checked a lot of their prices, and it's significantly cheaper to live there than down in Toronto, minus electricity related bills (Which I feel has to do with abundance in tech companies in Toronto). However Raleigh's tech industry is growing crazy, if by some chance I can get a job offer in NC, I wouldn't hesitate at all in moving down there, something I'd do if I was offered a job in California, New York, Texas, Japan, China, etc. (Actually I wouldn't even hesitate in China's case, it's a big fat no I will never go back there ever again no matter what). I also looked at rent and housing and it's much cheaper to get your own place in the Triangle. Only issue is, I haven't found sites that do where people rent out a room in their house for a much cheaper price. I'm currently renting a single room in Toronto in an old house rather than an entire place to myself lol.
part of the reason you don't see quite the level of "renting a single room in an old house" situations in the Triangle vs Toronto is that the cities didn't develop like Toronto did, which means houses in general look quite a bit different. and the idea of a 'metropolitan area' is hugely different overall in the south vs great lakes / eastern seaboard cities.

you'll find rooms-to-let situations but they won't necessarily be of the "four 20-something professionals living in an old-world multigenerational house" variety. more likely a student type situation.

however the Triangle makes up for that in spades with a dramatically reduced cost of living overall. rent/mortgage making up the lion's share of that difference. what you're paying for that single room in a big old house is probably comparable to what you could get a solid condo for outside of downtown Raleigh.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
part of the reason you don't see quite the level of "renting a single room in an old house" situations in the Triangle vs Toronto is that the cities didn't develop like Toronto did, which means houses in general look quite a bit different. and the idea of a 'metropolitan area' is hugely different overall in the south vs great lakes / eastern seaboard cities.

you'll find rooms-to-let situations but they won't necessarily be of the "four 20-something professionals living in an old-world multigenerational house" variety. more likely a student type situation.

however the Triangle makes up for that in spades with a dramatically reduced cost of living overall. rent/mortgage making up the lion's share of that difference. what you're paying for that single room in a big old house is probably comparable to what you could get a solid condo for outside of downtown Raleigh.

In Cary you get can get a mansion for less than a good but not amazing detached house in a Toronto suburb. Most mansions don't even cost 1mill (CAD mind you, so even less USD) in Cary and Cary is a fantastic suburb and developing area. By mansion I mean a house larger than 3,500 square feet lol.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
In Cary you get can get a mansion for less than a good but not amazing detached house in a Toronto suburb. Most mansions don't even cost 1mill (CAD mind you, so even less USD) in Cary and Cary is a fantastic suburb and developing area. By mansion I mean a house larger than 3,500 square feet lol.
believe me, I've lived here in Toronto for about 6 and a half years now, and still own a home in Raleigh. if the exact house that I own in Raleigh was in the right block of the Annex, it'd be worth 5 times what I paid for it. those big houses you get in the Annex or even down towards U of T, you don't really see those types of houses except in little pockets of downtown Raleigh and Durham. certainly almost nothing like that in Cary.

Cary has changed a lot in the last 10 years, as well.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Because those that store was .8 miles away from another Harris Teeter. Never understood why that was lol.

Same thing in Charlotte. You can throw a stone and hit not one, two, but 3 different Harris Teeters at once. You can also hit a Publix or a Whole Foods or a Food Lion too depending on where you are.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I just hiked the haw river off of 15-501. Wow! That is all I can say. It's beautiful! If you go up river there is a rope swing and ladder up a tree. You can rope swing 30 feet up off the tree and land in the river. If you're into that sort of thing I would check it out! Also, I am a big time mountain biker. If you are too you should check out Briar Chapel. Amazing single track trails there and an obstacle course was just built. The trails can get very technical. 24 miles of trails to be exact and this is the closest thing you can get to mountainous terrain in the area. I love having mountain bike trails right behind my house! I go every day. Just thought I would share this with anyone who is into hiking and/or mountain biking.

I went to school at WCU and did all sorts of hiking, rafting, fishing, kayaking, and hiking there so take my recommendations for what they are worth. I was very impressed and I have seen some good stuff.

Last edited:

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
A bit late on this, but yeah, generally you have to look at student room mates. A decent site I know of is rotating room. It's designed for med students and residents but there's generally a good variety.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Do any OF You mountain bike? Hard tail or full suspension? If so hit me up. Let's go out on the trails here.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It's what took over the space that Tir Na Nog was inand it is extremely awesome. Great beer and great food. Literally everything we had was absolutely delicious and I had trouble even recognizing it was the same place that was once Tir Na Nog.

IIRC, Same owners as Bida Manda as well. I've only been to Bida Manda once, just a few months back and I thought it was exceptional.

A few years back when they said they were starting a combination flower shop, book store, brewery and Dim Sum restaurant, I thought "WTF?" Looks like they've pulled it off spectacularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad