Cut/Released: Raiders fire Josh McDaniels and Dave Ziegler

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Good riddance. Guy is supposed to be an offensive genius but can't find a way to get a pro bowl WR involved. Glad they fired Ziegler too, this year's rookie class is looking pretty awful.

Mayer the tight end they drafted is looking promising, problem is they couldn’t get him in the plays. With Jimmy G benched, now he can see more of a look.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Only step 1. Can Mark Davis hire anyone competent to lead the franchise moving forward?

Plus, given the players NE West brought in, how many will work under the next regime or is there another whack of dead cap to absorb?

And can or will the team be willing to spend when they are paying out so much money to HC's that are no longer there, between McD and Gruden they are paying out somewhere between 40-70 million

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And can or will the team be willing to spend when they are paying out so much money to HC's that are no longer there, between McD and Gruden they are paying out somewhere between 40-70 million
Jimmy G’s base salary for 2024 of $11.25 mill is fully guaranteed. Doesn’t matter if it’s players or coaches, you need to afford it.
If he doesn’t have the money he should sell more equity in the team. Don’t need to be a 90% plus majority owner. So long as you control over 50% you make the final call.
Reportedly he sold a small stake to Brady.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Derek Carr is gone from the Raiders, his depature can be blamed on the incompetence of McDaniels, and there is coaching labor dispute created.

That was a blessing in disguise, we finally moved on from that checkdown quarterback. 9 years and ‘it’s all in me, I’ve got to do better’ bullshit from this guy

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Jimmy G’s base salary for 2024 of $11.25 mill is fully guaranteed. Doesn’t matter if it’s players or coaches, you need to afford it.
If he doesn’t have the money he should sell more equity in the team. Don’t need to be a 90% plus majority owner. So long as you control over 50% you make the final call.
Reportedly he sold a small stake to Brady.

Davis reportedly owns 47% from what I have read

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Davis reportedly owns 47% from what I have read
Then poses the question of who are the people or entities that own the remaining 53%? Raiders are a private entity, so probably stated in the sale when the Davis family sold equity that the Davis family is in control of football operations.

But, if you are also covering 53% of the costs and per nfl rules regarding guaranteed contracts, you need to have liquid cash to put into escrow to sign players with guaranteed contracts, you’d want to make sure money is well spent.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Then poses the question of who are the people or entities that own the remaining 53%? Raiders are a private entity, so probably stated in the sale when the Davis family sold equity that the Davis family is in control of football operations.

But, if you are also covering 53% of the costs and per nfl rules regarding guaranteed contracts, you need to have liquid cash to put into escrow to sign players with guaranteed contracts, you’d want to make sure money is well spent.

Of course moving the team to Vegas increased the value of the team a few times over, maybe that was part of the idea behind selling a small percent to Brady since a few percent now is worth so much more than it was when they were still in Oakland

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I still don't see a good future for them. Two teams in the division have superior QB's. Superior being an understatement. They do not have a homefield advantage. 17 road games per year. I'm not sure anybody in Vegas truly cares about them like Oakland did.

Firing McDaniels is the easy part. But there are no great coaches out there. And even if they were, Vegas better offer them the moon to take that job.

I wonder if Jimmy G gets cut and goes crawling back to SF and Shanahan
And then the HC/GM are rightfully fired if it doesn't work out...again with Jimmy G.

Availability is better than ability. The guy can't stay healthy. They win a SB and are in another SB if it weren't for him.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I still don't see a good future for them. Two teams in the division have superior QB's. Superior being an understatement. They do not have a homefield advantage. 17 road games per year. I'm not sure anybody in Vegas truly cares about them like Oakland did.

Firing McDaniels is the easy part. But there are no great coaches out there. And even if they were, Vegas better offer them the moon to take that job.

And then the HC/GM are rightfully fired if it doesn't work out...again with Jimmy G.

Availability is better than ability. The guy can't stay healthy. They win a SB and are in another SB if it weren't for him.

Prior to last year Shanahan couldn't win 7 games without Jimmy

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
That was a blessing in disguise, we finally moved on from that checkdown quarterback. 9 years and ‘it’s all in me, I’ve got to do better’ bullshit from this guy
I'm just saying, Mark Davis might not have been oblivious to McDaniels' tendency to get a new QB. Just that Mark Davis may have internally wanted Carr gone but wanted to have shielding from the appearance of influencing that decision.

Tldr, he might have hired McDaniels to get rid of Carr and do a favor for the other owners by paying McDaniels and let McDaniels destroy a team that hit its ceiling

It's not insane to suspect and infer Mark Davis prioritizes mea culpas or "favors" instead of winning. That contract to Gruden might also have been a "I'm sorry for my dad" hire.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I'm just saying, Mark Davis might not have been oblivious to McDaniels' tendency to get a new QB. Just that Mark Davis may have internally wanted Carr gone but wanted to have shielding from the appearance of influencing that decision.

Tldr, he might have hired McDaniels to get rid of Carr and do a favor for the other owners by paying McDaniels and let McDaniels destroy a team that hit its ceiling

It's not insane to suspect and infer Mark Davis prioritizes mea culpas or "favors" instead of winning. That contract to Gruden might also have been a "I'm sorry for my dad" hire.

Mark Davis needs to hire competent football people surrounding him. Apparently, the McDaneils hire was done through a consulting firm for f*** sakes

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
It was like a .250 winning percentage wasn’t it?
Jimmy had enough to attack the middle of the field and Kyle had the ability to draw up ways of getting open guys in that area for Jimmy.

But without that surrounding talent and offensive mind, such a one dimensional QB is eventually going to be snuffed out.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jimmy had enough to attack the middle of the field and Kyle had the ability to draw up ways of getting open guys in that area for Jimmy.

But without that surrounding talent and offensive mind, such a one dimensional QB is eventually going to be snuffed out.
LV scheme doesn’t have the WR come open quickly enough. No vertical threat with jimmys arm. So D. Squat on the routes. Congested middle of the eh field. So Jimmy holds it with righted windows.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Sounds like it is the heirs to the original 8 partners that owned the team at the beginning, specific info does not seem to be easily available
Damn
That’s got to make some pissed off minority owners with the money they have shelled out on coaches
Especially if they lose the feuded lawsuit

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Damn
That’s got to make some pissed off minority owners with the money they have shelled out on coaches
Especially if they lose the feuded lawsuit
I believe the Gruden lawsuit vs the NFL is going after the balance of what he didn’t get settled with LV plus damages. Who knows what the payout was with LV and Gruden.

McDaniels, expect him back with BB if BB is back with NE next season. Otherwise, I don’t know who would hire him as an OC now with that dreadful performance with LV.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Mayer the tight end they drafted is looking promising, problem is they couldn’t get him in the plays. With Jimmy G benched, now he can see more of a look.
I do like what I've seen from Mayer. I'm worried about Wilson tho, he looks really bad for a top 10 pick. Byron Young has struggled too but as a 3rd rounder I expect him to take longer to adjust/develop. Tucker has shown some flashes and could benefit from this change. Bennett has potential but has been asked to do too much this early in his career. It could be a worse class I suppose.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Mark Davis needs to hire competent football people surrounding him. Apparently, the McDaneils hire was done through a consulting firm for f*** sakes
Was the consulting firm Tebow and Tebow, LLC?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad