Quick vs. Scrivens

MollerManor

Feb 18, 2009
I don't think anyone is doubting quick will be back to starting goalie once he is healthy, I just think it is hard explaining that to an outsider when you look at Scrivens stats being first in nearly every goalie stat in the league at the moment. I feel like the question is more who is the better goalie right now.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007
There are plenty of backup goalie's around the league with better GAA and SV Pct then the starter. It is the playoffs which is a whole different game that a #1 goalie takes the net. Scrivins and Jones are doing a great job but ask the players, coaches, and management, who they want in net. That is all that really matters not what all these stat geeks who never even played the game think.

topliner967

Dec 14, 2011
Northern Europe
As already mentioned, the team (including Quick) really only started to play decent hockey a few games before Quick was injured. Not trying to take anything away from Scrivens though, he's been fantastic.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Keep in mind that Bernier had produced these type of results last season when Quick was out for an extended time because he wasn't a 100 percent recovered from his back surgery. Bernier stepped in and won games.

This season, its the same story, we are winning without Quick. Like someone said, our defensive corps is vastly under appreciated on here and is the most valuable part of the team. That ten year deal for Quick looks questionable right now.

I'm not a fan of long term contracts in general, and I agree that our d-corps deserves more love, but I don't think that reaches the conclusion that Quick's contract is questionable.

Since the extension, he's come back from a back injury/surgery and played a garbage lockout season and endured slow starts from the team in both. I think we need to see what he's like on the other side of this injury to judge anything regarding Quick.

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I don't think anyone is doubting quick will be back to starting goalie once he is healthy, I just think it is hard explaining that to an outsider when you look at Scrivens stats being first in nearly every goalie stat in the league at the moment. I feel like the question is more who is the better goalie right now.

Ok, right now, Steve Mason, Braden Holtby, and Ben Bishop are all better than Ryan Miller, Henrik Lundqvist, and Antti Niemi based on the small sample size. Would you still choose the top three over the bottom three if you had the choice? Our defense has played much better in front of Scrivens than they have in front of Quick. Scrivens has been very good and he has stolen games for us, but he's still not better than Quick because of 15 games.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say? Scrivens has been better than Quick over this season's small sample size. But there are other factors and I'd still take Quick over Scrivens.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Bingo. He has a 92.25 save percentage at even strength. Which is solid. PK save percentage is way down at 83%, whereas Scrivens is at 95. But pk save percentages are filled with variance and take thousands of minutes to average out

Heck, 92.3 is near his Vezina nominee levels. And wow that SV% on the PK for the Professor is pretty insane. Thanks for finding the numbers

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
for future reference, go here

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/

then change your filters to,

4 on 5 sh
on ice shot stats
LA
goalies
50 minutes

Thanks for the link.

Back to Quick vs Scrivens, I also noticed but not sure about, to me the Kings have done much better limiting scoring chances. With Quick they were limiting shots more than with Scrivens but the scoring chances were way up.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Thanks for the link.

Back to Quick vs Scrivens, I also noticed but not sure about, to me the Kings have done much better limiting scoring chances. With Quick they were limiting shots more than with Scrivens but the scoring chances were way up.

I tend to agree. I complained about that a lot early in the year. Sure, we were dominating opponents by the shot count, but when they'd get an opportunity, it was a godawful defensive breakdown leaving a guy wide open in the high slot or at the back door (I think the Nashville game was just like this--but would have to go back and look). It was a matter of focus both for Quick (who seems to go cold when he's not seeing action) and for the defense (don't get so caught up trying to score that you lose attention to detail). I think they sorted that stuff out for the most part.

Ewan McGregor*

Why is this a thread lol... Quick IMO was one of the few bright spots early in the season. People already forgot how horrible the team's offense was :facepalm:

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Why is this a thread lol... Quick IMO was one of the few bright spots early in the season. People already forgot how horrible the team's offense was :facepalm:

But Quick hasn't played in DAYS!!!! I mean I thought he had retired or something he's been out so long. :laugh:

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
I tend to agree. I complained about that a lot early in the year. Sure, we were dominating opponents by the shot count, but when they'd get an opportunity, it was a godawful defensive breakdown leaving a guy wide open in the high slot or at the back door (I think the Nashville game was just like this--but would have to go back and look). It was a matter of focus both for Quick (who seems to go cold when he's not seeing action) and for the defense (don't get so caught up trying to score that you lose attention to detail). I think they sorted that stuff out for the most part.

The Nashville game was actually the one I was thinking of in particular. They had 16ish shots but 4 goals because probably 12 shots were right in prime scoring areas.

Jun 30, 2006
I like Jones and scribbles a lot but if you think either could have done what quick has the last 2 years I have a bridge to sell ya.[/QUOTE]

It's not about the last 2 years, it's about the future of the club.

Quick relies a lot on his athleticism rather than positioning as a goalie. He's already wearing down physically and suffering injuries that keep him out for an extended time.

He's a great goalie, but given the system and his durability, I do question the ten year contract.

TheSentinel

Mar 4, 2013
WhereTheKingsReign

Quick relies a lot on his athleticism rather than positioning as a goalie. He's already wearing down physically and suffering injuries that keep him out for an extended time.

He's a great goalie, but given the system and his durability, I do question the ten year contract.

How dare you, Sir, How dare you show concern for those that are superhuman! :sarcasm:

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I like Jones and scribbles a lot but if you think either could have done what quick has the last 2 years I have a bridge to sell ya.

He's a great goalie, but given the system and his durability, I do question the ten year contract.[/QUOTE]

He's missed what 14 games over 302 in career? This is the 2nd time he's been out with a significant injury. Some teams would kill for a goalie with durability like that. LTIR exists for a reason, for that specific reason actually. I don't get this thread. The Kings went from an embarrassment of riches to a slightly less impressive hoard of riches in net now that Jones and Scrivens are being given chances. I really hope those two battle it out over the next year or so... Over who gets to be the backup once Quick is back.

SteelFish87*

Jon Rosen @lakingsinsider
Follow

Have been told that Thursday has been targeted for Jonathan Quick to get on the ice to test his groin.

TopT

Jan 7, 2009
Georgetown, Caymans

Youre joking right ?

All I see in this thread is people making excuses for JQ. Last year was the injury, this year defence played bad but now is playing better. I on the other hand am still sticking with the JQ is a product of Kings system and he would be
"Bryzgalov like" exposed in a system like the Flyers or Penguins( yeah i know, moron, idiot,.. heard it all before). He is great in PO, so far, but how many goalies had the chance to play a PO game since we became a PO team.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad