Quick vs. Scrivens

MollerManor

Feb 18, 2009
Well, we have just about reached that point (this season speaking). I don't see much of a need to bring up past accomplishments because we know who is going to win that. But is the comparable stats for this season:

GP save % GAA TOI
26 Jonathan Quick LAK 16 16 351 .905 10 5 0 37 2.35 388 1 0 0 0 945:24
27 Ben Scrivens LAK 15 12 329 .943 7 2 4 20 1.56 349 3 0 1 0 769:41

Now obviously, Quick has about 3 games of ice time more than Scrivens, but the contrast in numbers this season between the two is quite significant.

I am not making any bold (or stupid) statements about who should start/sit once Quick is healthy more so than wanting to hear people's opinion on this best-case-scenario problem we have right now. I'm sure people have their theories, (player injuries, strength of team match-up, etc.) so spill the beans.

KingKopitar11*

Quick is gonna play even though he's been pretty average this season. He needs to time when to be aggressive more correctly and he'd do great. His timing is just off. He would play a shooter so far out of the crease, even if it's a bad shot. And the other team would have an easy bank in. He just needs to read situations better imo.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
My theory is the team collectively got their **** together around the time Quick went down.

We had the typical slow start for everyone (including Quick, hell, especially Quick in some cases). The team is now going to bat for Scrivens and Jones as if they need the protection. These guys were hanging Quick out to try a bit before that. It's almost as if the team defense needed a wake-up call like "hey, the goalie isn't back there just to save your ass, stick up for him."

Just my theory, no stats, advanced stats, or evidence to back it up :P

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
My theory is the team collectively got their **** together around the time Quick went down.

We had the typical slow start for everyone (including Quick, hell, especially Quick in some cases). The team is now going to bat for Scrivens and Jones as if they need the protection. These guys were hanging Quick out to try a bit before that. It's almost as if the team defense needed a wake-up call like "hey, the goalie isn't back there just to save your ass, stick up for him."

No stats I can't understand, no care.

KingKopitar11*

I don't know, I'm sure players play differently with different goalies go support the goalie. Just my opinion.

gtwyc

FlyingHeadButts4All
Jun 5, 2011
los angeles, ca

im on board with this and also that quick>scrivens... our D has looked unbeatable lately

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Quick is going to play, and play a lot when he is healthy to make sure he is in shape for the playoffs.

We have two goalies who are playing great, but there's never going to be a controversy. The Conn Smythe winner is your go-to guy. Quick's mind wanders during a lot of the season, but when the games get big he locks in and there isn't a goalie in the league I would put in over him.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
I think the thread should be Jones vs scribbles. I like them both but Jones is just so poised reminds me of bernier.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
All D are playing better, Doughty isn't getting the puck stolen from him for clean 1 on none. Mitchell and Regehr are playing a lot better along with Voynov. All of our D plus Quick looked bad beginning of the season.

scryan

May 1, 2013
Honestly, Scrivens stats have been much better then he has.

He is off balance/on his ass/in some other-way over committed to the wrong thing.
He is a very good goalie. At that level they are all good, but there have been quite a few goals that only didn't happen because the opponent could not capitalize not because of anything he was doing. His success has been 1/3 skill, 1/3 defense, 1/3 luck.

Quick makes his mistakes too, but the team has more confidence in him and so they let a little more at him. His mistakes are different as well, and more often about judgement call and rebound control where Scrivens has more random mobility issues like being caught off balance or catching an edge.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I think it's Mitchell. As he gets closer to his 2012 self, it releases a tremendous amount of pressure from Doughty and Regher, freeing DD up to help Muzzin and also allowing Martinez to play with a good partner in Mitchell himself. It's the same as acquiring a top pairing/first line player that pushes down depth across the board. And when the D corps is better, now the forwards have less pressure to backcheck too, especially guys like Kopitar and Richards.

Scrivens was a stopgap all along between Jones and Quick. He'll leave as a UFA, get his 3 mil on a team that needs a discount starter or has a 50/50 platoon situation and Jones will be the new backup. None of that is a surprise. The question is, who will take over for Jones next year?

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
And Quick is still The Guy in LA.

In a LA uniform, Quick has more game points in games he stole single-handedly than Scrivens and Jones put together for any and all game points they earned, whether they stole the game or just played well.

In other words, Quick >>>>>> Scrivens AND Jones combined.

I'm sure San Jose, Phoenix, Vancouver and St. Louis all fear Scrivens and Jones...

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2006
Keep in mind that Bernier had produced these type of results last season when Quick was out for an extended time because he wasn't a 100 percent recovered from his back surgery. Bernier stepped in and won games.

This season, its the same story, we are winning without Quick. Like someone said, our defensive corps is vastly under appreciated on here and is the most valuable part of the team. That ten year deal for Quick looks questionable right now.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
Scrivens has done a tremendous job for us but I think he's enjoying a bit of Brian Elliott-itis, a decent goalie behind a great defense. I think he'd get exposed in the playoffs. Gotta get Quick going once he's healthy.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Keep in mind that Bernier had produced these type of results last season when Quick was out for an extended time because he wasn't a 100 percent recovered from his back surgery. Bernier stepped in and won games.

This season, its the same story, we are winning without Quick. Like someone said, our defensive corps is vastly under appreciated on here and is the most valuable part of the team. That ten year deal for Quick looks questionable right now.

Based on about 14 regular reason games and bernier? So quick has average regular seasons, who cares. He got paid for the way he plays when the games really count in the playoffs.

I like Jones and scribbles a lot but if you think either could have done what quick has the last 2 years I have a bridge to sell ya.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

I don't like really long contracts for any player just because of the violence of this sport, but I don't believe the contract is questionable from a performance perspective.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Well having team defense step their game up around the time Quick got hurt was huge. He was coming off back to back very good games before Buffalo (I think at least).

And I remember seeing somewhere that Quick's SV% when LA was on the PK was insanely below average, but I've had trouble finding that again. In fact, his EV SV% was around 92%.

So yeah, better PK/team defense is a major reason

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Well having team defense step their game up around the time Quick got hurt was huge. He was coming off back to back very good games before Buffalo (I think at least).

And I remember seeing somewhere that Quick's SV% when LA was on the PK was insanely below average, but I've had trouble finding that again. In fact, his EV SV% was around 92%.

So yeah, better PK/team defense is a major reason

Bingo. He has a 92.25 save percentage at even strength. Which is solid. PK save percentage is way down at 83%, whereas Scrivens is at 95. But pk save percentages are filled with variance and take thousands of minutes to average out

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
I don't know, I'm sure players play differently with different goalies go support the goalie. Just my opinion.

That's the nature of hockey at any level... whenever I get pressed into duty our D tightens the screws because the backup is in net, so I'm sure that same feeling makes its way to the NHL level, but because of the difference in skill level it's less noticeable.

ShattStar03

Jul 21, 2008
Claremont, CA
Personally, I think the Kings began to simplify things once Quick went down. Before, the Kings were trying to do too much and that got them in trouble defensively. Now that Quick got injured, the Kings went back to the basics. I'm no coach, I don't have years of experience this is just my observation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad