GDT: Quarter-final • Jan. 2 • Russia 2, Czech Republic 1 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEI Hockey

Feb 11, 2008
Charlottetown, PEI
Refs:
CAN Derek Zalaski
CAN Chris Carlson

So Canada can choose the team they will be playing with in the semis. Interesting what team will be more penalized : Russia with 54 PIM in four games or Czech Republique with 81 PIM.

Obvious troll attempt. If you had a clue in the world, you would realize that it would be to Canadian offiacials' benefit to NOT have Canada play in the final. When Canada is playing in the finals, Canadian officials can do no better than the bronze medal game. No Canadian official has worked the WJC Gold Medal Game in over 10 years because of Canada's dominance, and you would be dead wrong to assume that the officials from any country at this tournament don't want to be working the finals. That said, you would also be dead wrong to assume that the officials would intentionally alter the outcome of games to give them a chance to work the finals.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I say - let him rest another game, if we can't beat them without him, there's no need to play any further

Yeah, I agree.

Just wondering they actually decided to play him or not.

I read his interview from yesterday and he mentioned that his foot still hurts and he has trouble doing some turns and doesn't want to be a burden on the team.

His doctor also said that he should be fully fit within a month, but he can't make it any worse than it is now, so he may play.

I'm worried that the entire hockey world knows what his injury is and some dirty player will target his foot on purpose just to take him out of the game..

rushockey

Oct 4, 2010
Calgary
www.rushockey.com
I say - let him rest another game, if we can't beat them without him, there's no need to play any further

No, if he can play and the doctors really said there won't be further damage by playing he needs to play. Lack of the fourth center cost us in the game against Sweden. Considering how many penalties Russia received it is an absolute must to have a center. You can miss a winger but missing a natural center is bad. Russia may win the game against the Czechs without Grigorenko but the burden may be too much to recover in the next game.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
No, if he can play and the doctors really said there won't be further damage by playing he needs to play. Lack of the fourth center cost us in the game against Sweden. Considering how many penalties Russia received it is an absolute must to have a center. You can miss a winger but missing a natural center is bad. Russia may win the game against the Czechs without Grigorenko but the burden may be too much to recover in the next game.

Problem I have with Grigorenko now is that I'm afraid of a high chance of him aggravating his injury in a game that we should be able to win regardless.

You make a good point about fatigue being a factor with players being double shifted, though.

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
Lack of the fourth center cost us in the game against Sweden.

Agreed. Though we need a healthy center not an injured one. If Girg still feels pain, he won't be able to give 100%. Even worse he can get injured again. I personally think they should keep him on the bench. At least for this game. On the other hand, both Kuznetsov and Yakupov have to step up.

Russia may win the game against the Czechs without Grigorenko but the burden may be too much to recover in the next game.

If our guys can win this game without Grigorenko – so be it. We can’t rely on one injured center to win the next 3 games. We need our big boys - Gusev, Kyznetsov, and Yakupov to start playing.

rushockey

Oct 4, 2010
Calgary
www.rushockey.com
According to Alena Shilova Vasilevsky is to start. The coaches voted and that was the decision. One of the coaches wanted Makarov to start so Vasilevsky would be rested for the semifinal, they asked Vasilevsky how he can handle two games on back to back nights and he said he will be fine.

In any case, if the injury can be aggravated then Grig should not play by any means, I made that clear.

c9gunner

Dec 24, 2011
but beating Canada is more difficult task.

So be it. We could have avoided all these issues by not wasting the 3-0 advantage. The point is to find the ways to win the remaining games without Grigorenko.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Vasilevsky in the net for the Russians is a good sign. Means their coaching staff is not entirely sure about this game and team's ability to come out strong after their last game. The same signal comes to their players for sure. Not really a confidence boost.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru

this team has centers playing out of position, why not alternate them instead of double-shifting Kuzya. Also recovery at this age happens fast enough, that back-to-back game are not that much of an issue, as they are for adults.

rushockey

Oct 4, 2010
Calgary
www.rushockey.com
this team has centers playing out of position, why not alternate them instead of double-shifting Kuzya. Also recovery at this age happens fast enough, that back-to-back game are not that much of an issue, as they are for adults.

Overplaying Kuzya on the PK in the game against Sweden was a huge factor. Bragin made a mistake on that one, but it was a tiny mistake because they were 40 seconds away from the win. In a way it is good that it happened, Bragin surely will make an adjustment, he is very sharp at things like that.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Overplaying Kuzya on the PK in the game against Sweden was a huge factor. Bragin made a mistake on that one, but it was a tiny mistake because they were 40 seconds away from the win. In a way it is good that it happened, Bragin surely will make an adjustment, he is very sharp at things like that.

exactly so, could have used other players.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Kuznetsov to pick up his game in the medal rounds like last year? Let's hope so! Dudes a beast

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
dis-gon-b-gud.gif

Jul 7, 2009
Can't believe i am saything this but, i want the russains to win. I want to see how canada plays the russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad