GDT: Quarter-final • Jan. 2 • Finland 8, Slovakia 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Aittokallio has over 98 saving percentage, Slovakia needs to be very good to match Finland.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
The game will end 7-1 Finland with 3 or 4 goals in the third.

A nice stat-padding game for Pulkkinen, Granlund and Aittokallio as well I suppose.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I am predicting a crazy game. Slovakia 8-7 in a shootout.

7 lead changes, both goalies pulled, couple of fights in OT, coaches getting ejected, a streaker and a small delay because of a power failure.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
I think Barkov will score in this game. I recall him saying in an interview, that scoring a goal is one of his main goals for this tournament, other than that he's just glad to be part of the team.

Mikael has always been able to step up his game as the games have gotten more important. He should have a big game too.

I excpect Finland to win, but of course anything can happen. 5-2; MiG (MaG), Pulkkinen (MiG, Hakanpää), Barkov (Ruuttu, Aaltonen), Pulkkinen (MiG, MaG) and Armia (Salomäki, Ristolainen).

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
I am predicting a crazy game. Slovakia 8-7 in a shootout.

7 lead changes, both goalies pulled, couple of fights in OT, coaches getting ejected, a streaker and a small delay because of a power failure.

No classless goal celebrations?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Your point is right, but that´s not what Nordic´s post said, his post nowhere says that Slovakia has had problems with letting too many goals as you say, his post mentions the one and only game against Sweden and he bases his assumption of Finland winning this game easily solely on that (Since he doesn´t even seem to know how exactly his own teams´ game against SVK finished, I have some doubts about him knowing the exact scores of out other games). "Didn't Sweden score 9 goals on Slovakia? I was drunk so I din't remember, but it was 8-10 goals?

Finland should beat them with relative ease." Where does this mention that Slovakia had not been the best team in keeping their net clean overall in the tourney? Nowhere. But my point is that what they did before doesn´t really matter it´s in the past. The fact also is that before the Switzerland game the Slovak team had only scored 5 goals in 3 games (and 3 of them against Latvia, one of those 3 being an ENG), but in the Switzerland game they scored 6 goals. So who knows maybe this game against Finland will be the one where they let in less than 3 goals, the fact that they have let 17 in their previous 4 games has as little influence on today´s game as the fact that they only scored 5 in 3 games before the Switzerland game.

Also, he pointed the Sweden game, which was the one that Slovakia had the least to play for in the preliminary round, so I´d expect that the coaches/players would put much more effort into a play-off game than they did into a meaningless preliminary game (which was played a day before the Game No.1 for us against the Swiss), for example I doubt the coach will start the back-up in tonight´s game or double shift our 4th line at any point of time in this game.

And Sweden tried their hardest in a 9-1 blow out? We rolled all our four lines through the whole game and we also started our back-up goalie. What's your point?

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
That's mostly Donskoi, apparently he always does that (even in SM-liiga) to indicate his position to his linemates. He's not even calling for a pass when he does that.

I've seen Pulkkinen do that a lot too. He probably is always calling for a pass.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
I think he's just shooting all the time in case there a pass to him.

He actually passes alot if you haven't noticed, but shooting is a better option for him because some of his cross-ice passes are horrible.

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
This thread need this song:

Like Tomáš Jurčo stated, Slovaks listened to this song before the game vs. Switzerland :handclap:

Go Slovaks :yo:

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
He actually passes alot if you haven't noticed, but shooting is a better option for him because some of his cross-ice passes are horrible.

Yea I know. I was just trying to be funny.

The context:

My only prediction is that Finnish players will repeatedly tap their sticks on the ice calling for passes every couple of minutes. I've never seen a team do this as much as this squad. I was taught to only do that when you are wide open. I've just found this particular habit of the Finnish team very odd.

I haven't noticed nearly all of the Finnish players doing that, but there have been one or two who seem to love doing this (I'm looking at you, Joonas Donskoi) quite extensively, which might warp the perception a bit.

I've seen Pulkkinen do that a lot too. He probably is always calling for a pass.

hirawl said:
I think he's just shooting all the time in case there's a pass to him.

Arktos

Sep 23, 2011
So it's gonna be 00:00 Finnish time? And will NHL network show it in USA so we could watch it with proxy like the Denmark game?

I'm expecting a great game with lot's of physicality from our side and hopefully Aitikullio can keep his form and make the big saves. Result could be anything from a 3-2 OT-loss to a 7-1 kind of blowout depending on Slovakias form and play. Can they keep away from the penalty box and use their own PP chances will be seen tonight.

Can't wait for the game to start :handclap:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Anyone wants to stream the game? Another option is to pay 7e for Katsomo.
Is the technical conversation about streams even allowed? Because linking streams is, i think so... So how do you make streams the easiest decent way? Have read about this all around but the steraming ways look pretty... tricky, and complicated, not very functional.. Been sometimes thinkin about streaming games from SM-Liiga playoffs, but because im afraid that in Finland someone could set a charge on you, atleast between couple of friends. We also thought of buying the World Championship package (that includes all games, not just Finlands) in a group and streaming it to everyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad