WC: QFs are set, discuss

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
The only chance for Switzerland I guess, a lot of speed. This is probably the only place where they really can compete with Sweden, the skating. And Switzerland is a hard team to score 5 on 5, PK and PP are essential.

I mean I think you guys have a good chance I saw some vintage swiss grit and speed that is very hard to defend against even when things are gelling.

If Grönborg continues to utilize his defensemen badly (and he probably will he never changes a failing formula), we're in for another swedish letdown in the QF:s

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Canada Russia Finland Sweden

The tournament so far has been 10 times more entertaining than the nhl anti-hockey playoffs this year and now starting with the QFs it should be a 100 times more entertaining. Goals quality hockey and great crowds.

No need to ask the fans to MAKE SOME NOISE or shout let's go pens. They probably do it to wake the fans up in this dreadful series. Nhl playoffs this year are worst than Golf.

So yes Canada 6-2
Russia 4-1
Sweden 3-2
Finland 4-2

Lataba76

Sep 6, 2015
Canada Russia Finland Sweden

The tournament so far has been 10 times more entertaining than the nhl anti-hockey playoffs this year and now starting with the QFs it should be a 100 times more entertaining. Goals quality hockey and great crowds.

No need to ask the fans to MAKE SOME NOISE or shout let's go pens. They probably do it to wake the fans up in this dreadful series. Nhl playoffs this year are worst than Golf.

So yes Canada 6-2
Russia 4-1
Sweden 3-2
Finland 4-2

Cheers ;)!

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I cannot see upsets coming re: the QFs. But that is of course the nature of upsets in general hah. Yet, only the Czechs can beat the Russians on a very good day. Otherwise, no ****ing way.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Seems as #1 and #2 stays where they are and the #3 and #4 needs to travel. E.g. Sweden would have stayed in Cologne if Russia had won vs the US and Sweden had become #2. Now Sweden is #3 in the group and need to go to Paris. I guess it decides home ice too.

That's the basic idea, however host overruns that. Therefore Canada as #1 has to travel to Cologne.

In fact, in this tournament there was a slight chance for any QF pairing except one. If the group standings had meant GER vs. FRA quarter-final, then QFs would have been played inside the group like 2008, 2012 and 2013.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
With not only the QFs, but also new ticket prices set, we might be done with the "good atmosphere" part of the tournament. There's some euphoria there, just not €60-80 for nosebleed seats type of euphoria. Unless they are going to bring in a couple thousand people from the streets for free, USA-Finland has a decent chance of looking like it's being played in a post-apocalyptic ghost town. At the current rate, they are not selling out the Germany game, either, but maybe they'll do something about that last minute.

Zaar

Feb 5, 2017
Germany
Draisatl will upset Canada supported by a crazy soldout building in a matchup for the ages!

I wished this will come true, but I seriously doubt it. We used up all luck available against team USA ;).

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Russia vs. Czech Republic, I hope our boys don't make the kinds of stupid errors they did against the US. Kuznetsov and Plotnikov better tone down on the silly penalties. If Russia plays a good offensive game without the defensive idiocy, they have a good chance of succeeding.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Haven't been able to watch any of the tournament this year, but I think Germany beating Canada would be good for hockey in Germany and would mean much more to their program than a win for Canada would. So I will be happy with the outcome of that game no matter who wins.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
QF:
Canada over German
Russia over Czechs

USA over Finland
Sweden over Switzerland

SF:
Russia over Canada

Sweden over USA

F
Russia over Sweden

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
CAN wins comfortably vs GER and all three other QF's are tight "crapshoot" type of games, the IIHF refereeing gonna decide who wins...

Do we already have the information who will be the referees?

Lataba76

Sep 6, 2015
CAN wins comfortably vs GER and all three other QF's are tight "crapshoot" type of games, the IIHF refereeing gonna decide who wins...

Do we already have the information who will be the referees?

USA vs FIN tight???

J1mLahey

Jan 13, 2011
Toronto
Draisatl will upset Canada supported by a crazy soldout building in a matchup for the ages!

Same Russian troll that's tried to call Canada losses in the past. Just like the World Cup when Kuznetsov flew his bird back to Russia

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
USA vs FIN tight???

- yeah, but this one depends on the goalie choice, if FIN goalie is letting in 50% of the first period shots, it will not be tight ;)

But I think that this time they get OK goaltending and it's going to be a nailbiter - the IIHF referees probably decide the outcome...

Last edited:

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
If anything could go even more wrong, Finland will find a way to make it to the semifinals and why not to the finals as well. Marjamäki will never leave and hockey gods will be happy

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
- btw regarding the refs, I can't find who are assigned to the QF's yet - but it seems like the notorious FIN-hater Vinnerborg is not even a possibilty this year ;)

Lataba76

Sep 6, 2015
If anything could go even more wrong, Finland will find a way to make it to the semifinals and why not to the finals as well. Marjamäki will never leave and hockey gods will be happy

Finland have not convincing in 10 tournament matches(WOH and WC) as a result of. And now in QF will they suddenly Top??? Sorry i ve not so much fantasy ;).

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
Finland have not convincing in 10 tournament matches(WOH and WC) as a result of. And now in QF will they suddenly Top??? Sorry i ve not so much fantasy ;).
I don't want them to win, I just want this ****** tournament to be over for us as soon as possible.

Still I think we'll win USA, they've never really impressed in the World Championships

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad