WC: QFs are set, discuss

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
This will be the suprise tournament! I can feel it.

Germany at home with Dr.Drai will overpower the canadians who already won so many golds....if Swiss could win over Canada then sure as hell the germans could too.

Finland will suprise USA. Finland are playing with zero pressure and they have Pillu at center.

Czech have a good underrated team, Russia will underestimate them.

Sweden have been bad the whole tourmanent, playing with zero grit and speed. Switzerland are hungry for some success and have much speed. Swedes are weak mentally and will get stressed.

Last edited:

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
It's nice to see Germany in there.
I'm disappointed in Finland as they are usually a stronger team.

I admired the team from France as they were game & classy. Too bad there wasn't room for them.

SportsFan94

Jan 11, 2017
Cambridge, Ontario.
Canada over Germany but it wont be a cakewalk against the hosts and Germany did beat USA opening game so i expect Germany to come out strong but Canada eventually wear them down and win 4-1 or 4-2.

Russias offense to much as they beat the Czechs 5-2

USA over Finland in probably the best game of the quarters 4-3 in OT or SO

Sweden over Switzerland but Swiss will put up a good fight in a tight defensive game 3-1.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
An underwhelming Finland in the decisive match of the tournament - now that has often been a dangerous combination... We do have a woefully thin team but I fully expect it to look totally different in the qf than in the round robin, so the US better bring their A game to the match. A tight and probably rather low scoring game to be expected.

(And if they prove to be a slow, disorganized, spiritless mess, then we really should think about Marjamäki's future.)

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Swiss is good at countering and Sweden is "good" at letting people counter. That could be the most likely reason for an upset in that game

bDtKarlsson

Feb 21, 2014
Swiss is good at countering and Sweden is "good" at letting people counter. That could be the most likely reason for an upset in that game

Unfortunently yes. I really hope that Sweden won't play as predictable as they have been doing. And get the powerplay working please!

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I am confused, in which country would the semis take place? For example, Canada vs Russia/Czech Rep.

Seems as #1 and #2 stays where they are and the #3 and #4 needs to travel. E.g. Sweden would have stayed in Cologne if Russia had won vs the US and Sweden had become #2. Now Sweden is #3 in the group and need to go to Paris. I guess it decides home ice too.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
It does not matter, a lot of people out there would not even know who's who. Think about the confused faces during a Slovenia vs Slovakia match...

It's understandable. We have similar names (Switzerland and Swedenland). Our flags are the same (a yellow cross surrounded by red). We speak the same languague (it's called "Swedish chef-ish"). And afterall, as the founders of the World Cup of hockey has tought us, Europe really is just one big country.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Seems as #1 and #2 stays where they are and the #3 and #4 needs to travel. E.g. Sweden would have stayed in Cologne if Russia had won vs the US and Sweden had become #2. Now Sweden is #3 in the group and need to go to Paris. I guess it decides home ice too.

Isn't Russia a #2 and a Canada a #1? They are in the same bracket now yet playing in different countries. Would that potential SF be in Cologne or Paris?

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Does sweden play their Kvarts before Finns?

There is old magic in WHC. If Sweden and Finland could collide in Semis, and Sweden wins their QF before Finland's game starts, Finland somehow upsets any one to play Swedes in Semis.

If this set up happens, I'm betting money for Finland. Can't beat the magic!

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Isn't Russia a #2 and a Canada a #1? They are in the same bracket now yet playing in different countries. Would that potential SF be in Cologne or Paris?

A bit confusing yes. For Sweden the example was as I described, but I might have missed some mechanism for the system in general.

Anyway all SF and up are played in Cologne.

AussieDave27

Aug 4, 2014
For the semi-finals I see this on the schedule page:

Semi-Finals on 20th May in Cologne
USA/FIN vs. SUI/SWE
CAN/GER vs. RUS/CZE

Does this mean that USA/FIN vs SUI/SWE will be the afternoon game 100%?

I have tickets for the evening game only and being "Swiss" it'd have been nice to see them.

scipio

Apr 21, 2015
Zürich
For the semi-finals I see this on the schedule page:

Semi-Finals on 20th May in Cologne
USA/FIN vs. SUI/SWE
CAN/GER vs. RUS/CZE

Does this mean that USA/FIN vs SUI/SWE will be the afternoon game 100%?

I have tickets for the evening game only and being "Swiss" it'd have been nice to see them.

The Swiss game is in Paris and starts at 20.15

scipio

Apr 21, 2015
Zürich
Sorry, I was talking about the semi-finals IF of course Switzerland have an unlikely win vs Sweden.

I'm sorry, my bad. Didn't read properly. I think it depends which teams exactly play against each other in the semi finals.

From the iihf website: The winning teams advance to the semi-finals. Both semi-final games will be played at LANXESS arena in Cologne. The highest ranked team at the conclusion of the Preliminary Round will play the 15:15 semi-final game (Game 61) in Cologne.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Sweden - Finland in the semifinals and we may have another classic hockey "war".

My prediction. ;-)

If Sweden looses vs Switzerland the press and the entire nation would go completely nuts, the amount of pain would be huge. ;-) It would be regarded as one of the biggest failures of all time. I don't think it will happen this time but it could possibly be a tight game. Lots of NHL players on the Swedish team looking a bit slow on the big ice but we should get better every game now.

I feel safe with Lundqvist in goal, he will let in maximum of two and Sweden hopefully being able to score more than two goals.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
If Sweden looses vs Switzerland the press and the entire nation would go completely nuts, the amount of pain would be huge.

Well, it has already been declared that HV 71 > Team USA (the group winner!). So if Sweden loses to Switzerland, some columnist must come to the conclusion that Tre Kronor would have been better off sending the roster of the Arlanda Wings (no offense to that club or their players, though).

AussieDave27

Aug 4, 2014
I'm sorry, my bad. Didn't read properly. I think it depends which teams exactly play against each other in the semi finals.

From the iihf website: The winning teams advance to the semi-finals. Both semi-final games will be played at LANXESS arena in Cologne. The highest ranked team at the conclusion of the Preliminary Round will play the 15:15 semi-final game (Game 61) in Cologne.

Thanks for the info.

Assuming that Canada beats Germany, then that game will be the early one then as they had the most points in the preliminary rounds. So there is a chance of seeing Switzerland yet...

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Lots of NHL players on the Swedish team looking a bit slow on the big ice but we should get better every game now.

I feel safe with Lundqvist in goal, he will let in maximum of two and Sweden hopefully being able to score more than two goals.

The only chance for Switzerland I guess, a lot of speed. This is probably the only place where they really can compete with Sweden, the skating. And Switzerland is a hard team to score 5 on 5, PK and PP are essential.

scipio

Apr 21, 2015
Zürich
Thanks for the info.

Assuming that Canada beats Germany, then that game will be the early one then as they had the most points in the preliminary rounds. So there is a chance of seeing Switzerland yet...

That's how I understand it.

In the case Switzerland wins against Sweden, you will not see Switzerland if Canada loses and the USA win or if Canada, the USA and Russia all lose. Then Switzerland would be the highest ranked team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad