Q players have hot start!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
The Messenger said:
There is no way I will believe that Bernier could do what Fraser-Dixon-MacArthur are doing or would be expected to do that role.

I agree, but I think Alex Picard (F) would have been a better choice than any of the three of those players.

But it doesn't matter now. The team is the team and all that matters is that they win. Even the guys who are not on the team will agree, even if it hurts to not be chosen.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Matt MacInnis said:
I agree, but I think Alex Picard (F) would have been a better choice than any of the three of those players.

But it doesn't matter now. The team is the team and all that matters is that they win. Even the guys who are not on the team will agree, even if it hurts to not be chosen.

After team Canada first game and MacArthur performance I am not so sure I would not want him on the team .. Fraser is a Red Deer Rebel and plays for coach Sutters team .. When Kelowna's Marc Habsheid coach team Canada he had Josh Georges ..Every coach likes one of his own players on the team if possible .. That is nothing new ..

So as strange as it sounds if Dixon was not a returnee and thus a guarantee Alex Picard would have been an ideal replacement .. and that is not intended to start anything else, just my opinion as Dixon was not having a good year, and replacing a Q player with another Q player will not eliminate the conspiracy theories ..

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Sammy said:
If you are going to post such nosense, then perhaps you should write about how the Q looked like a bunch of school boys compared to the Dub when they played against the Russians. Thats a heck of alot more relevent then the comments in your post. I dunno why so many Q fans whine & complain about the lack about the lack of Q players for teamCanada. I suppose all the NHL scouts had some grand conspiracy against Q players over the last 20 years, as the other 2 CHL leagues crushed them in terms of drafted players.
Give it up Bud, it gets old.

The complaints are mostly since 98. Since then, there has been no Q coach and we have won nothing. While a Q team make the memorial cup final every years but one.

well the NHL scouts had Bernier, Pouliot, Picard ahead of many members of the WJC squad. When is the last time a 19 years old, top 10 pick did'nt even get an invitation at the camp??

A lot of the "winning" is also in reaction to the constent bashing by The Messenger and many others of the Q league.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
The Messenger said:
After team Canada first game and MacArthur performance I am not so sure I would not want him on the team .. Fraser is a Red Deer Rebel and plays for coach Sutters team .. When Kelowna's Marc Habsheid coach team Canada he had Josh Georges ..Every coach likes one of his own players on the team if possible .. That is nothing new ..

So as strange as it sounds if Dixon was not a returnee and thus a guarantee Alex Picard would have been an ideal replacement .. and that is not intended to start anything else, just my opinion as Dixon was not having a good year, and replacing a Q player with another Q player will not eliminate the conspiracy theories ..

I can agree with that. I was going to say that the person I'd replace first would be Dixon.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Beatnik said:
The complaints are mostly since 98. Since then, there has been no Q coach and we have won nothing. While a Q team make the memorial cup final every years but one.

well the NHL scouts had Bernier, Pouliot, Picard ahead of many members of the WJC squad. When is the last time a 19 years old, top 10 pick did'nt even get an invitation at the camp??

To answer your first question :

In 2002 when Pierre-Marc Bouchard drafted 8th overall was cut and sent back to the NHL instead not good enough for the WJC team ... and 2003 Eric Staal , Nathan Horton both the 2nd and 3rd overall picks were cut and they too went directly on to the NHL, even though they were 18 at the time .. So your boy Alexandre Picard is in some good company there ..

You do know right that neither Marc-Antoine Pouliot nor Steve Bernier were top 10 picks nor does that make any difference in the big picture ???

In fact neither were Jeff Carter, Brent Seabrooke, Ryan Getzlaf, Mike Richards, Anthony Stewart, Corey Perry, Shawn Belle from the 2003 draft and that is the 1st round only .. Patrice Bergeron, Shea Weber, Jeremy Colliton ..2nd rounders and others still like Fraser & MacArthur, Dawes even later ...

Heck Danny Syvret has been passed by in 2 drafts already ..

Beatnik said:
A lot of the "winning" is also in reaction to the constent bashing by The Messenger and many others of the Q league.

I am also flattered that you're attributing a lot of the "WINNING" as a direct result of my bashing ..

Thanks but I really can't take any of the credit there ..sorry...

If I thought it would help trust me I would bash even more and not stop at just Silver medal bashing but actually strive for the Gold level for Canada .. :D

Last edited:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Messenger, Horton and Staal were cut BEFORE they were drafted, but I am sure you convienently left that out.

And stop giving him a hard time because his english isnt perfect. You know good and well he meant to say Whineing and not Winning.

Id hazard a guess that you dont even know what the French word for whineing is.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
La-La-Laprise said:
The Messenger, Horton and Staal were cut BEFORE they were drafted, but I am sure you convienently left that out.

And stop giving him a hard time because his english isnt perfect. You know good and well he meant to say Whineing and not Winning.

Id hazard a guess that you dont even know what the French word for whineing is.

I am not sure how being undrafted has any connection to picking the best players for Team Canada at the WJC .. They went 2 & 3 and went directly to the NHL .. That is a fact that good players sometimes do not play in the WJC ..

You do know that "Whineing" is spelled "Whining" in English ??

What is Whineing ??? Is that Whining under the influence of too much Wine ?? :D

So your made up word Whineing .... I have no way to translate it into any other language including French ..So you got me there I can't translate it ..!!!!

Perhaps we don't have a bashing but rather a COMMUNICATION problem here ..

How is Bernier and Picard's english ?? Because I don't think coach Sutter's French is very good .. :D

Last edited:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Messenger said:
I am not sure how being undrafted has any connection to picking the best players for Team Canada at the WJC .. They went 2 & 3 and went directly to the NHL .. That is a fact that good players sometimes do not play in the WJC ..

So your made up word Whineing .... I have no way to translate it into any other language including French ..So you got me there I can't translate it ..!!!!

He asked how many players that were picked top 10 were cut as 19 year olds.

Horton was cut at 17 and was in the NHL at 18. Invited to camp at 18 but he was hurt. 19 FLO didnt let him play.

Staal was cut at 18...then he was drafted that summer and was in the NHL at 19.

Please tell me how either was cut at 19?

You are a joke. All you can do is nitpick peoples grammer and definitions. Could you stick to hcokey?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
The Messenger said:

Stop being an ass and debate the points.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
La-La-Laprise said:
He cant debate the points. So he just chooses to act like an ass.

I proved him wrong up above. I bet he will come back and make up some other "fuzzy math" type debates.

Show me how entry draft position and WJC Team Canada representation are connected in anyway ??

Stephen Dixon is the lowest drafted player taken in round 7 #229 overall in 2003 NHL Entry Draft on the team, not counting the undrafted players on Team Canada ...

How did that guy sneak through ???? :D

Like I said in an earlier post ... Alexandre Picard (F) would have been an excellent replacement for him and then we wouldn't have this problem ..

Would that make you happy ???

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Stephen Dixon is the lowest drafted player taken in round 7 #229 overall in 2003 NHL Entry Draft on the team, not counting the undrafted players on Team Canada ...

Dunno.
To me, it shows their ignorance of the Q league and the players.

The Messenger said:
Like I said in an earlier post ... Alexandre Picard (F) would have been an excellent replacement for him and then we wouldn't have this problem ..

Yeah but someday they will have to realize how much better the Q league have become in the last 10 years and give egal chance to our players.

Last edited:

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
The Messenger said:
How is Bernier and Picard's english ?? Because I don't think coach Sutter's French is very good .. :D

Well, if you're going to be facetious about it...

I've spoken to both of them in the past two months (I suggest you take a look at the interviews/features written on them), and their english is fine. I'm sure that Steve Bernier, living in a primarily english community (Moncton) and playing a team that uses english as the "team" language and Alexandre Picard, who lives in the United States right now, would have no problems understanding the speech of Mr. Sutter.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Messenger said:
Show me how entry draft position and WJC Team Canada representation are connected in anyway ??

The part where yous aid Staal and Horton were cut after being picked in the top 10.

I agree with your other points that draft position doesnt matter but when providing examples to back up your position at least find ones that actually happened.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Matt MacInnis said:
Well, if you're going to be facetious about it...

I've spoken to both of them in the past two months (I suggest you take a look at the interviews/features written on them), and their english is fine. I'm sure that Steve Bernier, living in a primarily english community (Moncton) and playing a team that uses english as the "team" language and Alexandre Picard, who lives in the United States right now, would have no problems understanding the speech of Mr. Sutter.

You know I was kidding !!!!

I was emphasizing the Communication problem ...that were having me singled out for whining about the Q, when in fact I have no problem in it what so ever ..

On big Ice surfaces the WJC Teams are built for speed , against bigger opponents often Size is a consideration in the selection process... In WJC tourney's I believe the WHL plays the closest style game to the NHL and as such a lot of its current players may be better fits then the Q..

That does not mean that the Q does not have good players, but I believe the style and systems of the Q is the reason for the current larger percentage of players drafted early or representing their countries in WJC tourney's from the other leagues.

The only thing I find is that for some reason the Q followers seem to have problem with the Selection process .. I personally have never even thought of that being a WHL season ticket holder ... I usually cheer for my NHL Team draft picks to make the WJC so I get a chance to see them play ... Other than that they are all Canadian kids playing for their Country, I cheer for and doesn't matter if its Steve Bernier or Eric Fehr or Corey Perry representing the team .. I still cheer the same..

For some reason the Q followers feel the need to build up and draw attention to its league unnecessarily I might add ... On this years team .. They may have the best 2 team Canada players and the worst one and all the rest in-between happen to play in the other two CHL leagues..

How come its only the WJC .. When the Olympics or World Championships teams are assembled its not the same anymore is it, or important that all leagues get fair and equal representation for which Junior teams Eric Brewer or Joe Thornton or Simon Gagne played for .. IS IT ??

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
La-La-Laprise said:
The part where yous aid Staal and Horton were cut after being picked in the top 10.

I agree with your other points that draft position doesnt matter but when providing examples to back up your position at least find ones that actually happened.

That was to point out good players from all leagues not just the Q never play in the WJC .. Don't forget I am not the one that believes that draft position and Team Canada at the WJC has no connection .. Any WJC is never built on entry draft position ..the coach in not obligated to take players just because they where drafted in a certain spot .. So the whole Staal and Horton discussion was worthless other than to note how funny it seems that these kids are not good enough at 18 to play for Team Canada in the WJC but a few months later these same kids are playing in the NHL as 18 year olds .. That is what really doesn't make a lot of sense to me .. Or PM Bouchard told he is not good enough for WJC so he gets cut and sent back to the NHL ... That to me sounds weird ...

Also a player like Corey Locke when he was still in the OHL, is one of the highest scoring players in Canada and is doing that against kids 17-20 years old and then a tourney arises and they are not good enough. I find that strange ...

In fact its kind of weird as well that the top scorers in the WHL Eric Fehr and Ryan Stone, Gilbert Brule are not on the team while others players are..

So strange things occur in the selection process and it not just in any one league, and certainly not draft position ...

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
The Messenger said:
Then look a few posts down #9 from his original one and see what he posted and why ??

and I don't believe you can draw any other conclusion than the one you say he is not intending.
You are quoting me totally out of context.My post was a reply to you calling my
post irrelevant after you insinuated it was unintelligent.It was obvious by then that
you were coming from a biased western canadian point of view ,so in that
context I made my post.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
pei fan said:
You are quoting me totally out of context.My post was a reply to you calling my
post irrelevant after you insinuated it was unintelligent.It was obvious by then that
you were coming from a biased western canadian point of view ,so in that
context I made my post.

That wasn't it at all .. I like everyone else was surprised to see Vrana and Marek Zagrapan on your list ..

I was not sure what you were trying to say in fact .. as I have no bias towards the Q as I have stated above ..

Dion Mustard*

Actually, I find it funny that out of the 3 players from the Q, two of them were born and raised outside of Quebec, and the other has been out of the league for 2 years. In reality, nobody on this team is a real "Q player".

Enough of the crying though. The tables have turned, and the talent in this country is coming out of the West.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Dion Mustard said:
Actually, I find it funny that out of the 3 players from the Q, two of them were born and raised outside of Quebec, and the other has been out of the league for 2 years. In reality, nobody on this team is a real "Q player".

Enough of the crying though. The tables have turned, and the talent in this country is coming out of the West.
:innocent:
quebec players(including other eastern province) never or rarely played the physical way but in terms of talent they are IMO on par with western player and ontario player ..

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
Kryoptix said:
:innocent:
quebec players(including other eastern province) never or rarely played the physical way but in terms of talent they are IMO on par with western player and ontario player ..

What do you think of Steve Bernier or JF Jacques from the Q???
Yhey are actually more physical than any forwards of the present TCJ roster and they are huge and fast.

The bias is there for those who want to remove their visor and admit it.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Dion Mustard said:
THAT IS RIGHT. St.Louis,Lecavalier,Richards,Gagne,Theodore,Brodeur,Luongo were
all extra baggage for Canada. Who needs them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad