J.Honka-Pokka
Eronen-Hakanpää

Rask
Jne

Lottery finished

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Frankly we are getting more of our 90-generetion players to Sotschi than for example I predicted. Barkov and Granlund are or at least should be locks for the forward squad and Vatanen and Määttä should be in the team too. If the Olympics were played in 2015 then Armia and Teräväinen would have all the chances already that soon. The change has been fast.
I don't know what you projected, but overall, we're not really. Most projections from 4-5 years ago did usually have around 5-6 of them going. Some of them were just different ones from the ones that really are on the table today, which might create an illusion that things have been going better than predicted. But in reality, when some have exceeded our expectations, some have not. And such will be the case in four years' time as well. Not every prospect we think should be a good player in four years' time will pan out.

I'd say if we can double the amount from this squad in four years, we've done pretty good. Of course that's partially a foregone conclusion, because some of our younger breed d-men will end up going, no matter where they play. With forwards, the more seasoned NHLers will still be heavily on the table even if all the kids do good for themselves.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I don't know what you projected, but overall, we're not really. Most projections from 4-5 years ago did usually have around 5-6 of them going. Some of them were just different ones from the ones that really are on the table today, which might create an illusion that things have been going better than predicted. But in reality, when some have exceeded our expectations, some have not. And such will be the case in four years' time as well. Not every prospect we think should be a good player in four years' time will pan out.

I'd say if we can double the amount from this squad in four years, we've done pretty good. Of course that's partially a foregone conclusion, because some of our younger breed d-men will end up going, no matter where they play. With forwards, the more seasoned NHLers will still be heavily on the table even if all the kids do good for themselves.

Pretty much this. I wouldn't even be that surprised to see someone like Kukkonen (yes, I know :help:) still with the team in 2018 as without any of the 80's born defensemen that D would be insanely young and without any type of a veteran leader. Few coaches would ice a backend like that regardless of their skill level.

The goalies will probably not be 90's born but that doesn't mean anything is wrong with the goalie production in itself. We have nice talent in the pipeline, but someone like Rask or Lehtonen could still be the best option in 4 years.

Certain veteran forwards will have guaranteed places on the team. Personally I think Ruutu will be done before 2018 rolls along, but players like M. Koivu, Filppula, JJ, Komarov and Korpikoski will likely still be there no matter what happens with the youngsters. It's harder to tell which European based veteran forwards will be picked, but I would assume at least a couple.

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
But we all agree even the darkest finnish pessimists that Finland is getting better and better each year at least by looking at the odds of development.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
But we all agree even the darkest finnish pessimists that Finland is getting better and better each year at least by looking at the odds of development.

Well, compared to what it used to be some years back, the answer would have to be yes. Rock bottom has already been hit prospect-wise and things are looking up in that regard, but when it comes to the NT, I don't think we have seen the worst just yet. The worst should be over by 2018 though.

Manitoba Oilers*

bolded the players Are locks

MacKinnon - Crosby - Stamkos
Hall - McDavid - Tavares
Couture- Nugent-Hopkins - Drouin
Duchene - Toews - Reinhart
Eberle Seguin Barzal E.Kane

Subban - Pietrangelo
Keith - Doughty
Ekblad - Weber
Letang
Reilly/Nurse/Murry/Schultz/

Price
Maybe fucale and Subban

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
Denmark:

Well, first of all, I just hope we qualify. It would do so much in terms of bringing the sport to 'the rest of the country.' Truth is, we're a lot closer to the world elite in hockey than we are at any other winter sport - apart from curling perhaps, so the media coverage would be unprecedented...

The really nice thing when compiling this list is that very few current players will be too old in 2018.

Forwards:
Nikolaj Ehlers - Frans Nielsen - Mikkel Bødker
Peter Regin - Lars Eller - Jannik Hansen
Nicklas Jensen - Morten Madsen - Nichlas Hardt
Oliver Bjorkstrand - Julian Jakobsen - Patrick Bjorkstrand
Extras: Mads Christensen, Thomas Spelling, Frederik Storm

Defensemen: (as always this is where you have to get creative)
Philip Larsen - Jesper B. Jensen
Oliver Lauridsen - Markus Lauridsen
Mads Bødker - Emil L. Kristensen
Extras: Matias Lassen, Philip Bruggisser, Sonny Hertzberg

Goalies:
Frederik Andersen
Patrick Galbraith
George Sørensen
Extras: Simon Nielsen, Sebastian Dahm

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Denmark:

Well, first of all, I just hope we qualify. It would do so much in terms of bringing the sport to 'the rest of the country.' Truth is, we're a lot closer to the world elite in hockey than we are at any other winter sport - apart from curling perhaps, so the media coverage would be unprecedented...

The really nice thing when compiling this list is that very few current players will be too old in 2018.

Forwards:
Nikolaj Ehlers - Frans Nielsen - Mikkel Bødker
Peter Regin - Lars Eller - Jannik Hansen
Nicklas Jensen - Morten Madsen - Nichlas Hardt
Oliver Bjorkstrand - Julian Jakobsen - Patrick Bjorkstrand
Extras: Mads Christensen, Thomas Spelling, Frederik Storm

Defensemen: (as always this is where you have to get creative)
Philip Larsen - Jesper B. Jensen
Oliver Lauridsen - Markus Lauridsen
Mads Bødker - Emil L. Kristensen
Extras: Matias Lassen, Philip Bruggisser, Sonny Hertzberg

Goalies:
Frederik Andersen
Patrick Galbraith
George Sørensen
Extras: Simon Nielsen, Sebastian Dahm

I wonder if a guy like Jeppe Vinther, would be good enough for D duties at that time.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
I wonder if a guy like Jeppe Vinther, would be good enough for D duties at that time.

We can always use more depth on D. Still, I'd rate Matias Lassen ahead of Vinther at this point, even though Lassen's recent injury is a real setback at a key time in his development.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
We can always use more depth on D. Still, I'd rate Matias Lassen ahead of Vinther at this point, even though Lassen's recent injury is a real setback at a key time in his development.

Oh he is good...But isn't he out, for like the rest of the season?

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
Couture Crosby Stamkos
Hall Tavares Eberle
Kane Toews Benn
O'Reilly Duchene Seguin
Nugent, MacKinnon

Keith Doughty
Vlasic Pietrangelo
Alzner Subban
Hamonic Rielly

Price
Bernier
Holtby

Hard team to predict, as the days of the 2003 draft players should be passed by 2014. The forward group should be extremely fast and will probably be missing out on some veteran experience, but there is an inevitable passing of the guard. Hard to project guys like Drouin or McDavid before they really play in the NHL, and you have to remember that by the 2018 Olympics McDavid will only be halfway through his second NHL season. I see Canada rolling four lines and outskating teams. Also, it seems like a much more balanced forward group in that many of the players will ave had a fair amount of experience on the wing.

Defence is hard to predict outside of Keith, Doughty and Pietrangelo. I expect Vlasic to make it in 2014, and no reason to think he won't be a better player in 2018. Subban makes it, and after that it's difficult to project. I like Alzner's game, and just took random guesses on Hamonic (physical defensive role) and Rielly. I don't like Weber's game for the big ice once he moves into his thirties.

Goaltending is obviously Price plus some other guys. Why not Bernier and Holtby...

I wouldn't be so sure of the bolded. I know a lot can change in four years but those players will only be 32, hardly time for elite players to be put out to pasture. You have to think that guys like Getzlaf, Perry, Staal and Bergeron (maybe Richards, Carter) are still going to be in the mix.

Would also be curious of why you don't like Weber's game for the big ice in four years time?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I wouldn't be so sure of the bolded. I know a lot can change in four years but those players will only be 32, hardly time for elite players to be put out to pasture. You have to think that guys like Getzlaf, Perry, Staal and Bergeron (maybe Richards, Carter) are still going to be in the mix.

Would also be curious of why you don't like Weber's game for the big ice in four years time?

Well, first off none of those guys are complete locks at this point, and should be inferior players across the board in 2018. If a guy like Staal or Carter can't make the team in 2014, or barely does, I doubt that they would make it to 2018. Getzlaf, Perry and Richards to a smaller degree have skating issues that wil be even more magnified by 2018.

It's mostly just a hunch with Weber. He's a great defenceman, but lots of big physical defencemen start losing some of their speed once they hit 30 or so. They can compensate with smarts, but it's harder to do on international ice.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Any perceived problem with a fourth line center will be long gone by 2018.

Steen (33) - Bäckström (30) - Rakell (24)
Forsberg (24) - Rask (24) - Silfverberg (27)
Johansson (27) - Backlund (28) - Wennberg (23)
Landeskog (25) - Söderberg (31) - Arvidsson (24)
Hagelin (28) - Zetterberg (37)

Lindholm (24) - Karlsson (27)
Hedman (27) - Hjalmarsson (30)
Ekman-Larsson (26) - Larsson (25)
Klefbom (24) - Brodin (24)

Lundqvist (35)
Markström (28)
Lehner (27)

Last edited:

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
Well, first off none of those guys are complete locks at this point, and should be inferior players across the board in 2018. If a guy like Staal or Carter can't make the team in 2014, or barely does, I doubt that they would make it to 2018. Getzlaf, Perry and Richards to a smaller degree have skating issues that wil be even more magnified by 2018.

It's mostly just a hunch with Weber. He's a great defenceman, but lots of big physical defencemen start losing some of their speed once they hit 30 or so. They can compensate with smarts, but it's harder to do on international ice.

So who are locks at this point for forwards? Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares and Toews I guess?

After that you would have to think it's Getzlaf & Perry, who I believe are locks this year. Sure they aren't the best skaters, but it's not like they can't keep up, they also provide size and physicality which is a staple of Canadian hockey.
Bergeron is likely a lock to be the shutdown centre this year. Can't really see who is overtaking him in the future. I guess Toews, but they are both there now.
Staal is a big body that can skate and play physical. He is in the mix this year and could be in 2018. MSL didn't make it in 2010 but should 100% be there this year, so skipping an OG's is not unfathomable and there should be precedent set this year.
Carter and Richards are bubble right now so unlikely they could stay bubble until then, but you never now.
I mean even a guy like Rick Nash should still be in the mix in 2018.

I'm not saying that any of these guys should be on the team, but to say that none of them will be seems pretty far fetched. You have one player that will be over 30 (Keith) and that doesn't seem like a typical Team Canada.

Either way I don't take umbrage with your lineup just the fact that you would disregard some of the top players in the world today for a tournament 4 years away where they are barely, if at all, removed from their prime.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
So who are locks at this point for forwards? Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares and Toews I guess?

After that you would have to think it's Getzlaf & Perry, who I believe are locks this year. Sure they aren't the best skaters, but it's not like they can't keep up, they also provide size and physicality which is a staple of Canadian hockey.
Bergeron is likely a lock to be the shutdown centre this year. Can't really see who is overtaking him in the future. I guess Toews, but they are both there now.
Staal is a big body that can skate and play physical. He is in the mix this year and could be in 2018. MSL didn't make it in 2010 but should 100% be there this year, so skipping an OG's is not unfathomable and there should be precedent set this year.
Carter and Richards are bubble right now so unlikely they could stay bubble until then, but you never now.
I mean even a guy like Rick Nash should still be in the mix in 2018.

I'm not saying that any of these guys should be on the team, but to say that none of them will be seems pretty far fetched. You have one player that will be over 30 (Keith) and that doesn't seem like a typical Team Canada.

Either way I don't take umbrage with your lineup just the fact that you would disregard some of the top players in the world today for a tournament 4 years away where they are barely, if at all, removed from their prime.

Yes Crosby, Stamkos, Toews and Tavares would be most likely for 2018. I "disregard" (doubt is a better word here) the 2003 players because they are unlikely. Getzlaf and especially Perry were bubble players before getting off to very hot starts this year. Carter and Richards are bubble players right now. Bergeron and Staal were expected to make the 2014 team easily, but both have been dropping on depth charts on this website and even TSN.

St. Louis didn't make the team in 2010 because Canada was going for size. The 2014 team is being build for speed according to most statements made by the management group, and the same would presumably be the case in 2018. None of the guys you listed are exceptional skaters. The players who followed them (Duchene, Hall, etc.) are better in this area, even if their ages were closer.

Age is a legitimate factor. How many 30 year olds will be on the team this time? Possibly St. Louis, Sharp or Marleau up front. Possibly Boyle on defence. That's pretty much it for guys who are legitimately in the running.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Filppula - Barkov - Armia
Teräväinen - Granlund - Pulkkinen
T.Ruutu - M.Koivu - J.Jokinen
Salomäki - Lehterä - Komarov
Ma. Granlund

Järvinen - Ristolainen
Vatanen - Määttä
Hakanpää - Pokka

Rask
Lehtonen
Aittokallio

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
Yes Crosby, Stamkos, Toews and Tavares would be most likely for 2018. I "disregard" (doubt is a better word here) the 2003 players because they are unlikely. Getzlaf and especially Perry were bubble players before getting off to very hot starts this year. Carter and Richards are bubble players right now. Bergeron and Staal were expected to make the 2014 team easily, but both have been dropping on depth charts on this website and even TSN.

St. Louis didn't make the team in 2010 because Canada was going for size. The 2014 team is being build for speed according to most statements made by the management group, and the same would presumably be the case in 2018. None of the guys you listed are exceptional skaters. The players who followed them (Duchene, Hall, etc.) are better in this area, even if their ages were closer.

Age is a legitimate factor. How many 30 year olds will be on the team this time? Possibly St. Louis, Sharp or Marleau up front. Possibly Boyle on defence. That's pretty much it for guys who are legitimately in the running.

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that Getzlaf and Perry were bubble before the season and fully commit that Carter and Richards are bubble at the moment and that Bergeron and Staal are currently not playing up to their standards. It's no secret that making Canada as a forward is extremely difficult and a few months of up or down play can seriously influence your standing with the team. It has happened at pretty much every Olympics. You even agreed with me that there were only really four locks for this team anyways. How many other countries would debate about leaving the reigning Art Ross winner off the team? Being a bubble player means you are one of ~15-20 guys banging it out for 8-10 spots.

I do agree that age is a legitimate factor but this year there is a dearth of talent from Canada that should be providing that leadership group in their 30's. If you take a look at the drafts from say 1990 to 2000 it isn't the best for Canada. Some of the top players from those draft years Heatley, Lecavalier, Richards, Marleau, Thornton, Iginla, Doan, Smyth, Kariya, Lindros.

That isn't a spectacular group of forwards. If they had have remained healthy Kariya and Lindros could have been something special, but that is moot. I think this helps explain the lack of 30+ year olds on this year's and the last Olympics roster. Even go back and look at 2002 and 2006 rosters. 2002 had a bunch of guys in their mid-late 30s and 2006 had a group of forwards that were mainly of this bad generation. This is typically how these cycles go. We are experiencing a massive influx of talented Canadian forwards which has been going on since 2003 and is expected to continue into the near future. If it does, remains to be seen. Don't get me wrong I hope all the best for players such as Hall(22), Eberle(23), Nuge(20), Kane(22), O'Reilly(22), Mackinnon(18). Hopefully they can be as good as the guys from this 2003 group but they aren't there yet and they may not get there.

I get the whole skating argument, but you should also look at if the type of skater will translate to the bigger ice. Hall is very much a north-south skater, same with Kane. Does this really make them better options on bigger ice? I don't know, but I'm sure we will find out at some point.

sickest flow bro

Jun 3, 2008
Halifax
Canada 2018:

Neal-Crosby-Stamkos
Benn-Toews-Couture
Hall-Tavares-Seguin
Giroux-Getzlaf-Perry
Mackinnon/McDavid

Weber-Doughty
Pietrangelo-Subban
Staal-Letang
Cowen

Price
Bernier
Mason

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not disagreeing with the fact that Getzlaf and Perry were bubble before the season and fully commit that Carter and Richards are bubble at the moment and that Bergeron and Staal are currently not playing up to their standards. It's no secret that making Canada as a forward is extremely difficult and a few months of up or down play can seriously influence your standing with the team. It has happened at pretty much every Olympics. You even agreed with me that there were only really four locks for this team anyways. How many other countries would debate about leaving the reigning Art Ross winner off the team? Being a bubble player means you are one of ~15-20 guys banging it out for 8-10 spots.

I do agree that age is a legitimate factor but this year there is a dearth of talent from Canada that should be providing that leadership group in their 30's. If you take a look at the drafts from say 1990 to 2000 it isn't the best for Canada. Some of the top players from those draft years Heatley, Lecavalier, Richards, Marleau, Thornton, Iginla, Doan, Smyth, Kariya, Lindros.

That isn't a spectacular group of forwards. If they had have remained healthy Kariya and Lindros could have been something special, but that is moot. I think this helps explain the lack of 30+ year olds on this year's and the last Olympics roster. Even go back and look at 2002 and 2006 rosters. 2002 had a bunch of guys in their mid-late 30s and 2006 had a group of forwards that were mainly of this bad generation. This is typically how these cycles go. We are experiencing a massive influx of talented Canadian forwards which has been going on since 2003 and is expected to continue into the near future. If it does, remains to be seen. Don't get me wrong I hope all the best for players such as Hall(22), Eberle(23), Nuge(20), Kane(22), O'Reilly(22), Mackinnon(18). Hopefully they can be as good as the guys from this 2003 group but they aren't there yet and they may not get there.

I get the whole skating argument, but you should also look at if the type of skater will translate to the bigger ice. Hall is very much a north-south skater, same with Kane. Does this really make them better options on bigger ice? I don't know, but I'm sure we will find out at some point.

Some very valid points, though I disagree with the last paragraph for the players in question. I agree that someone like Hall is very much a straight line skater, but I would definitely take his skating ability much before another straight line skater like Perry, who simply gets around the ice much slower.

Ultimately, what I see is a generation of players who are already quite close to the 2003 class in many cases. I expect that by and large they will surpass them as they enter their peak years and the 2003 players move beyond theirs. It only helps that the younger guys happen to be better skaters as well.

Manitoba Oilers*

Canada 2018:

Neal-Crosby-Stamkos
Benn-Toews-Couture
Hall-Tavares-Seguin
Giroux-Getzlaf-Perry
Mackinnon/McDavid

Weber-Doughty
Pietrangelo-Subban
Staal-Letang
Cowen

Price
Bernier
Mason

Neal benn getzlaf perry Staal Cowen = yuck

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I doubt that NHL will participate in 2018. I would be much more happy if they decide to go with World Cup 2016 (which is very possible IMO)

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
Some very valid points, though I disagree with the last paragraph for the players in question. I agree that someone like Hall is very much a straight line skater, but I would definitely take his skating ability much before another straight line skater like Perry, who simply gets around the ice much slower.

Ultimately, what I see is a generation of players who are already quite close to the 2003 class in many cases. I expect that by and large they will surpass them as they enter their peak years and the 2003 players move beyond theirs. It only helps that the younger guys happen to be better skaters as well.

True enough, Canada had been quite fortunate with the latest generation of players and hopefully we can see the national team transition seamlessly along to that next generation.

Reento

Oct 20, 2011
V.Filppula- A.Barkov-J.Armia
J.Jokinen-M.Koivu-M.Granlund
L.Korpikoski-T.Teräväinen-E.Haula
L.Komarov-P.Kontiola-T.Ruutu
T.Hartikainen/J.Lehterä

O.Määttä-S.Vatanen
J.Pitkänen-R.Ristolainen
S.Lepistö-J.Honka
J.Järvinen-V.Pokka

T.Rask