OT: Puns n' COSes

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Had it with Apple.......latest update to phone and constant changing when updating makes me crazy.
No I do not wish to set up Apple Pay!!!

Anyone have a phone they love that's easy......

I have been an Android Phone person for as long as I have had a smart phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 that has done well for at least 3 years now. Only had to update the whole phone twice in that timeframe

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Had it with Apple.......latest update to phone and constant changing when updating makes me crazy.

what do you mean constant changing when updating? And there is an option that lets you skip setting up apple pay if you wish on the same screen.

And honestly, I don't think you will find a device that's "easier" than an iphone. on the iphone there is basically one way to do things. On Android you have several options for alot of things and it's much more customizable. From what I have overheard while being at phone stores, reps tend to push the iphones on the "older" crowd due to the simpler nature of how it works.

I have been an Android Phone person for as long as I have had a smart phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy Mega 2 that has done well for at least 3 years now. Only had to update the whole phone twice in that timeframe

That means the manufacturer doesn't really support your device or at least has stopped supporting it. This is the biggest reason I switched from Android to Apple. The lack of updates and support drove me crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
what do you mean constant changing when updating? And there is an option that lets you skip setting up apple pay if you wish on the same screen.

And honestly, I don't think you will find a device that's "easier" than an iphone. on the iphone there is basically one way to do things. On Android you have several options for alot of things and it's much more customizable. From what I have overheard while being at phone stores, reps tend to push the iphones on the "older" crowd due to the simpler nature of how it works.

That means the manufacturer doesn't really support your device or at least has stopped supporting it. This is the biggest reason I switched from Android to Apple. The lack of updates and support drove me crazy.
I guess I just don't need much from my phone then because it hasn't bothered me one bit.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Unfortunately, this is the way of things in the world. If you think it's ceaseless and annoying with Apple, Android will drive you stark raving mad. Every other week I have to talk my father down from his frustration and annoyance with yet another "oh it changed again" moment.

Apple really is the most consistent - that's why they do so well.

At the risk of turning this political, I sometimes suspect the moving-target nature of smartphone UIs is one of the very few ways GenXers and Millenials are subtly getting our revenge on Boomers. :D

* * *​

In this modern world, that's not stability, that's abandonment - I guarantee you, for example, you'll never see an update to fix security holes like the recently disclosed Meltdown/Spectre duo. My Galaxy Note 4 is in the same sort of never-never-land, and that drives me up a wall because I have yet to find a reasonable replacement (the Note 8 was SO CLOSE, but then they totally screwed up the S-View cover to the point that it's basically useless).

Google's working on rearchitecting Android so that security fixes aren't as strictly tied to feature updates anymore, but that won't be done for some time yet, and in the meantime, changes continue.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007

When I'm do updates it changes security settings, it changes and turns on locations services I've turned off, it changes the font, etc etc etc. The latest update changed the calendar, twitter and other things I Haven't found or remembered yet.

There is a red dot on settings that says you haven't finished updating your phone because you haven't set up Apple Pay and it pops up in a notification once a day. I skipped setting up Apple Pay, but no it still wants me to do it.

Yes Apple was easy to learn once, but no, I don't want to have to adjust my phone and turn off tracking four times a year at least because of updates . I don't want to go on a trip And be in an airport and not be able to use an app because I haven't had time to do the latest update!

And yes I'm well aware of the condescending attitude of the Apple Store when dealing with the older people my age. No , Apple Store employee, I don't want to pay for iCloud storage, no I don't want apps tracking me or using battery, and I'm tired of having my phone slowed down with updates.

Lol.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Unfortunately, this is the way of things in the world. If you think it's ceaseless and annoying with Apple, Android will drive you stark raving mad. Every other week I have to talk my father down from his frustration and annoyance with yet another "oh it changed again" moment.

Apple really is the most consistent - that's why they do so well.

At the risk of turning this political, I sometimes suspect the moving-target nature of smartphone UIs is one of the very few ways GenXers and Millenials are subtly getting our revenge on Boomers. :D

* * *​

In this modern world, that's not stability, that's abandonment - I guarantee you, for example, you'll never see an update to fix security holes like the recently disclosed Meltdown/Spectre duo. My Galaxy Note 4 is in the same sort of never-never-land, and that drives me up a wall because I have yet to find a reasonable replacement (the Note 8 was SO CLOSE, but then they totally screwed up the S-View cover to the point that it's basically useless).

Google's working on rearchitecting Android so that security fixes aren't as strictly tied to feature updates anymore, but that won't be done for some time yet, and in the meantime, changes continue.

Oh dear, if android is worse , I'm doomed !!!

I'm with your father, I hate the constant changes, but I didn't know that about android.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
When I'm do updates it changes security settings, it changes and turns on locations services I've turned off, it changes the font, etc etc etc. The latest update changed the calendar, twitter and other things I Haven't found or remembered yet.

There is a red dot on settings that says you haven't finished updating your phone because you haven't set up Apple Pay and it pops up in a notification once a day. I skipped setting up Apple Pay, but no it still wants me to do it.

Yes Apple was easy to learn once, but no, I don't want to have to adjust my phone and turn off tracking four times a year at least because of updates . I don't want to go on a trip And be in an airport and not be able to use an app because I haven't had time to do the latest update!

And yes I'm well aware of the condescending attitude of the Apple Store when dealing with the older people my age. No , Apple Store employee, I don't want to pay for iCloud storage, no I don't want apps tracking me or using battery, and I'm tired of having my phone slowed down with updates.

Lol.

My store comment was largely based on actual provider stores (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, etc). I haven't had an issue in an Apple store as long as you can get in. They are always so crowded.

Re: The red dot for Apple Pay..... I saw this:

If you ignore setting up Apple pay during the upgrade, there is a red notification on your settings screen that you can’t seem to get rid off! So how in the heck do we bypass setting up Apple Pay?

How-To Bypass Setting Up Apple Pay Notification During iOS Upgrade:
  1. Once you have updated your iPhone to the latest iOS, you will see the Apple pay warning if you bypassed it during the setup right on your Settings screen.
  2. Tap on ‘Finish Setting up your iPhone.’
  3. At this point, a message will pop up requiring you to add the password for your Apple ID.
  4. Enter your password here and instead of tapping on ‘Done,’ tap on ‘Cancel.’
  5. That’s it. This process should remove the pending setup notification from your iPhone.
  6. At a later point, if you do decide to go the Apple Pay route, you can go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay and can start the setup process for enabling this feature on your device.
How to Bypass Setting up Apple Pay during iPhone Update - AppleToolBox

Reactions: predfan98

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
There are plenty of reasons to have an Android vs. iOS debate. However, if you think you're going to change to Android for a smoother user experience... good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: jwhouk

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
There are plenty of reasons to have an Android vs. iOS debate. However, if you think you're going to change from to Android for a smoother user experience... good luck!

Can confirm. I have an iPad and an Android-based tablet. The iPad is incredibly easier to deal with in terms of usage. My only regret is the cracked screen on it (which caused me to replace it with a newer iPad, which is now Sarah's...).

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
It's 56 degrees here in Western NY. And raining like crazy The temp will drop to a high of 18 on Saturday. I just hope CBJ can get back to Columbus. It is NASTY.

UPDATE: River has an ice dam causing wide spread flooding blocking the way out of town.

Last edited:

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Same thing here.

It was 69 (nice) today and expected to drop into the 20's by tomorrow with rain then freezing rain then snow. Driving should be super fun.

Hope everyone stocked up on bread and milk, lol!

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
was 60 degrees when I watched the 10 o'clock news.
is now 31 and the rain has turned to sleet.
have I mentioned I hate winter?

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Same thing here.

It was 69 (nice) today and expected to drop into the 20's by tomorrow with rain then freezing rain then snow. Driving should be super fun.

Hope everyone stocked up on bread and milk, lol!
Bread, Milk, Eggs, Cinnamon. I have everything I need for French toast and winter weather.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'll trade you all. The roads here in my town are under 3 ft of water because of an Ice dam in the river. Oh and it's going to drop to -1 feel like.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
No. Just cinnamon sugar. I make it the way Mama does, only way I ever had it growing up. Mr. A uses syrup so I'm not in the dark on the custom, but syrup was only put on waffles and pancakes in my house.

Ah. Ok. I'm honestly hocked no one has asked me to be their Damn Yankee distributor for Northern supplies.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Ah. Ok. I'm honestly hocked no one has asked me to be their Damn Yankee distributor for Northern supplies.
You know how this works. We have just enough food to get us through the 3-4 days of cold and we kind of dig whining about having to scrape ice off windshields for a day or two. Then it'll get balmy again. Yesterday...YESTERDAY...I had to turn on the AC in the car because it was almost 70 degrees. Today it's around 20 and we have ice with snow on top. That's typical Tennessee weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad