PTD 2014 Thread

GFS

Apr 12, 2010
I meant the current poll is the semifinal, since it's the one before the final. I think only a handful of votes separate the top teams, and I don't want to be the one to swing it.

EDIT: I am surprised that the one poll has received so many more votes than the other.

Oh okay, then I'll leave it the way I originally intended it. Only 2 votes separate the top two teams right now. As it stands, these 2 votes are the difference between competing in the finals or for 3rd place. Quite a big difference!

GFS

Apr 12, 2010
The results are in from the first round of voting:

Group A
1. Detroit Red Wings - 57 votes
2. New Jersey Devils - 49 votes

3. Colorado Avalanche - 34 votes
4. San Jose Sharks - 17 votes
5. Calgary Flames - 9 votes

Group B
1. Montreal Canadiens - 61 votes
2. Edmonton Oilers - 26 votes

3. Chicago Blackhawks - 19 votes
4. Pittsburgh Penguins - 10 votes
5. New York Islanders - 7 votes

Here are the final two polls:

3rd place voting (Edmonton vs. New Jersey)
Finals (Detroit vs. Montreal)

Last edited:

GFS

Apr 12, 2010
Stanley Cup Champions!

:wings and :devils

And the results are in. Congratulations to Detroit on winning the Finals poll voting over Montreal by a score of 29-25!

The 3rd place winner goes to New Jersey over Edmonton by a score of 18-6.

The top-4 for the polls voting are:

1. Detroit Red Wings
2. Montreal Canadiens
3. New Jersey Devils
4. Edmonton Oilers

As for the GM votes, congratulations to New Jersey on winning the championship!

GM Voting results:

No.|Team|General Manager|Points|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th|10th
1|New Jersey Devils|TheDevilMadeMe|71|1|5|2|||||||
2|Montreal Canadiens|BenchBrawl|67|2|3|2||||1|||
3|Chicago Blackhawks|Hawkey Town 18|59|1||2|3|2|||||
4|San Jose Sharks|Rob Scuderi|52|1||1|2||4||||
5|Colorado Avalanche|ResilientBeast|45|1|||1|3|1||1|1|
6|Edmonton Oilers|papershoes|38|||1||1|2|3||1|
7|Calgary Flames|Deja Lu|32|1||||||2|4|1|
8|New York Islanders|Hobnobs|32|1|||1|||1|1|4|
9|Pittsburgh Penguins|Selfish Man|31||||1|1|1|1|2|1|1
10|Detroit Red Wings|quoipourquoi|13|||||1|||||7

Thank you to everyone who participated in the draft! It was a lot of fun!

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Lol, i totally called it! Congrats QPQ for realizing the poll section would be too lazy to look past Gretzky + Crosby and you could basically throw darts at the wall afterwards. Also, I'm not surprised you finished last in the GM vote - I mean look a your backup :laugh:

.I thought it would come down to NJ (me), Montreal, and Chicago.

Also, poor BenchBrawl - #2 twice in the same draft! :p:

Last edited:

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Don't know what took me so long, but better late than never...Congrats to both winners! Hilarious that Detroit finished both first and last. Thanks to GFS for setting this up, it was a fun exercise.

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Wait a second…….the guy who had PK Subban - Francois Beauchemin as his top pairing and Manon Rheaume as his backup won this thing?

Say Hey Kid

War, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
This could be a great event if you made it post-O6 + 66-67. I'd love to participate in that. As I posted before the playoffs it's going to be the teams with the first 2 picks in the Finals every year unless you add more players such as Bobby Orr.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
This could be a great event if you made it post-O6 + 66-67. I'd love to participate in that. As I posted before the playoffs it's going to be the teams with the first 2 picks in the Finals every year unless you add more players such as Bobby Orr.

Good idea, key would be determining a qualifier (i.e. born after date, first NHL game date, etc.) so a player's entire career can be included. Using partial careers, like only a player's time post expansion would be a mess.

GFS

Apr 12, 2010
So far, there are 5 members interested in another draft.

1. Hawkman
2. Hawkey Town 18
3. tony d
4. quoipourquoi (said he/she would be interested in another draft)
5. benchbrawl (said he/she would be interested in another draft)
5. Ret
6. ResilientBeast

Suggested time frames by members
- guys born 1946 and after
- players born between 1930-1959
- start in the 66-67 rookie's season or players born in 1948 or later

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
seriously benchbrawl, hawkman, hawkey town? you'd rather do this than something that is actually all-time?

or is it just the fact that you're picking mario and wayne as your top line centers instead of petr nedved and mike bullard?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
seriously benchbrawl, hawkman, hawkey town? you'd rather do this than something that is actually all-time?

or is it just the fact that you're picking mario and wayne as your top line centers instead of petr nedved and mike bullard?

For me it's a matter of commitment...I don't have time to research the MLD/AAA players, many of which I am not very familiar with, but I do have time to do a casual type draft (like the first PTD was) which involves players I already have researched from past ATDs, HOH projects, etc. Basically comes down to something is better than nothing.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don't think I will be participating.Too busy.

Well, I won't participate in either draft.In 2011 I did all the drafts and it was a really fun experience, but I had a lot of free time and this was all new to me back then.

I'm much more busy today.There's a strong chance I won't even be part of the ATD for the first time since I joined the community.Hockey history will always be something I'm interested in, but I'm at the point where I honestly don't care about ranking or researching the below-ATD level players, because there's so much more to learn about the actual best players of all-time (at least for me) and the time I can invest in this is limited.

I mean, how many hours have I spent trying to built the strongest team possible in all these ATDs? The answer is a lot.In 2013 I was rewarded for those efforts by winning it, and I'm glad I did because if I didn't I'm not sure I could ever do it again.You could say I'm "past my prime" as a GM because I'm not willing to put as much effort as I used to.

The cool thing is that if my interest rise again in 10 years and I have more free time, there will be a whole new generation of players added to the all-time picture, making things even more interesting.So not saying I am done, but for the moment I'm taking a break.

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Right now, I would be more likely to participate in something like this than the AAA draft, because I find the process of figuring out which players are still available - something that I used to find fun - to now be a chore that no longer interests me.

I was excited to see what a MLD would look like after a 28 team ATD, but the process of figuring out who was still available was not fun. Once I had a list, I had fun, but getting that list together was tedious.

I'm also not really that excited by sub-MLD-level players.

The original PTD with its cutoff date was fun and not very research-intensive - it was basically a draft of players I saw play.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I'll pass for now, but if we ever do another subject that's more playful than work-heavy, I'd jump back in. Maybe a draft of the best worst team from the same time-frame with some sort of minimum GP. Drafting Dan Cloutier: Playoff Warrior interests me more than repeating the last project in a different era like we're planning to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad