Post-Game Talk: PS #1 - 09/18/17 | islanders @ RANGERS | 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Its great to get looks at the new guys but I wish people would take some things with a grain of salt. Year after year there are preseason stars in the NHL that do not amount to much in the regular season. Some do not even make their teams.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Yeah, that was the other major gaffe I picked up on as well. Joe had to pause before answering, and stumbled before finally saying "uh, I think he's on the team," or something like that. Joe was clearly dumbfounded by the comment.

Has Sam looked at the roster? The Rangers are moving Miller to center. They need Buchnevich more than ever.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Regarding comment on DeAngelo.......what?? Kid was butter out there not sure you can be much smoother than that

He's fast, no doubt. I think I expected too much. Like, seeing Kreider skate for the first time. Or seeing Nick Leddy skate. Those two really wow'd me from the start. DeAngelo a really good skater, don't get me wrong, but I don't think he was elite in his skating like he was hyped up to be.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Zucc with Hayes? Hmmm...what a novel idea. LA with Kreidet and Gropp? Interesting.

LA looked good last night. Pretty engaged, played well defensively, and got involved with battles. Hopefully there's more offense there.

Excited to see Chytil.

Staal-Gilmour does not sound pleasant. Nor does Catenacci, Desjardins, and Desharnais. Desharnais and Desjardins on the same line just might put Sam over the edge.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Maybe they're giving Pedrie/Gilmour a game to duke it out, and then BG will get an extended look after one of them (or both) is cut

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He's fast, no doubt. I think I expected too much. Like, seeing Kreider skate for the first time. Or seeing Nick Leddy skate. Those two really wow'd me from the start. DeAngelo a really good skater, don't get me wrong, but I don't think he was elite in his skating like he was hyped up to be.

What has always impressed me from day 1 with the kid is his footwork. His pivots are very smooth. He knows how to use his inside and outside edges very well.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Brutal... just brutal...

Like I said in the other thread, they are expecting Staal to carry a pairing. The coach is not doing him any favors anymore by pairing him with guys that will carry him. Stralman carried him in 2013-14, Boyle carried him in at the end of the 2014-15 season, and finally Staal faltered in 2015-16 when nobody was left to carry him...

2017 Staal had Holden shooting at a crazy shooting percentage (aka masking the problems with that pairing), and when that fell off the real Staal-Holden came out, which is what you saw in the playoffs.

This isn't rocket science, Staal is a bad player, he's been a bad player since 2013--we just have a stubborn coach who refused to acknowledge that Staal is a bad player until Gorton sent a message to him...

Staal is being expected to carry a 3rd pairing. If he can't do that, he's going to be benched and traded

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Two bits of information that I found interesting last night:

1) Desjardins was a Richards pick.

2) That Benoit Allaire was instrumental in picking Pavelec

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Two bits of information that I found interesting last night:

1) Desjardins was a Richards pick.

2) That Benoit Allaire was instrumental in picking Pavelec

Desjardins won that cup in 15 with Richards, makes sense to me. They must have gotten along really well. Didn't know Richards wanted him though.

We've known all along that Allaire picks the goalies he wants to work with when the Rangers make a UFA backup signing/small trade. Pavelec has the talent, he's just always over-committed on plays, which is probably the result of playing on bad defensive teams. It's correctable.

You saw Lundqvist do this in 2015-16 especially in the beginning of the season, and then as the season wore on general fans started to see how bad the defense was (anyone that was using advanced stats knew how bad that defense was from the start, but...), which made Lundqvist play even more aggressively, which tailed off into an issue at the beginning of last season.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Raanta came to the Rangers like that. And then Allaire got his hands on him and made him a great backup goalie.

No doubt that Pavelec will follow the same path and be fine for us.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Pavelec has great size if he listens to allaire and calms down in net he can be very good for us.

I have a feeling if healthy hanks going to play a lot this year regardless.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
100% there is something wrong with Sam..but i can only comment on his hearing. He can't hear the high pitch of goal posts. you can hear it clear as day on the TV...how he literally never hears the goal posts to me screams hearing loss.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Was gonna post same. Gary Thorne with his "Manny Mal-hoar-tra" was painful.

Gary Thorne isn't loved because of his accuracy - it's well known he's terrible with details. He's loved because he has a great voice and can convey emotion. He makes games more exciting.

And everyone is used to hearing him from the video games, which doesn't hurt.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Straight line speed is great if the game was played in straight lines. It isn't.

He skates like mcilrath

eh, I agreed somewhat during the game but I think he's better than McIlrath was with his footwork and turning ability. It's still stuff and not smooth compared to smaller guys but there were a couple of times he suddenly looked a lot smoother and comfortable making some turns etc. May be something where when he has momentum he looks better but that start and stop turn etc is harder.

He still played well but he's going to have to be a guy who gets better at his positioning and can cover his weaknesses

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I find Joe a lot better "between the benches" on NBC broadcasts than as the color guy on MSG broadcasts.

I think that role suits him more.

Personally I think it's Dolan and the MSG brass pushing their announce teams to spin things. I agree with you Joe is a lot better on NBC between the benches compared to MSG where he makes every player sound like they're a 10 time all star and future hall of famer

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
100% there is something wrong with Sam..but i can only comment on his hearing. He can't hear the high pitch of goal posts. you can hear it clear as day on the TV...how he literally never hears the goal posts to me screams hearing loss.

We all have some hearing loss as we age but the TV crews have mics down low near the ice level. What we can hear over TV will sometimes be greater than what announcers can hear so high up.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Gary Thorne isn't loved because of his accuracy - it's well known he's terrible with details. He's loved because he has a great voice and can convey emotion. He makes games more exciting.

This..... I can listen to "Do you believe it" all night long.

We watch a sport, I know the details, I don't care if the players names are called improperly every now and again. I love it when the announcer gets really excited when my team scores a goal.

Jim Gordon with his "scave" and all his other gaff's was a helluva lot of fun to listen to. Old Rangers fans love the guy and when he was with the Big Whistle they were awesome. I was too young at the time to remember them but they made the game fun, much the same way Thorne does.

I am 100% sure Thorne called games while drunk

I know I can be sarcastic, really sarcastic but I say this with none whatsoever, if he called games drunk that would make me love the guy even more.

What I don't love is homers. I ****ing hate homers, they insult your intelligence. I would go nuts listening to some of the garbage homer announcers, like in Philly.
The one caveat with this is, I loved D. Sanderson and Fred Cusick on NESN, they were so over the top homer that it was actually funny as hell. They had some calls that had me rolling on the floor.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Thorne does Orioles games. Same thing, nit great with names, sometimes stumbles, but makes it exciting.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This..... I can listen to "Do you believe it" all night long.

We watch a sport, I know the details, I don't care if the players names are called improperly every now and again.

Jim Gordon with his "scave" and all his other gaff's was a helluva lot of fun to listen to. Old Rangers fans love the guy and when he was with the Big Whistle they were awesome. I was too young at the time to remember them but they made the game fun, much the same way Thorne does.

I know I can be sarcastic, really sarcastic but I say this with none whatsoever, if he called games drunk that would make me love the guy even more.

I forgot how great Jim Gordon was during Ranger games. I watched a short clip yesterday and I was like OMG Jim was awesome!

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia

And everyone is used to hearing him from the video games, which doesn't hurt.

True, but he's doing baseball now and NOTHING can make that game exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad