Post-Game Talk: PS #1 - 09/18/17 | islanders @ RANGERS | 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Love Sam Rosen and all he has accomplished but it might be time to look for a replacement in the next couple years. Painful sometimes listening to him struggle, at least a couple times a game. That's just age for you. My personal pick as a replacement? Gary Thorne, he did a few Kings games last year and still sounds great.

Kenny Albert will take over for Sam when all is said and done.

My pipe dream team is Howie Rose and Dave Maloney, with Mike Richter between the benches.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
My pipe dream team is Howie Rose and Dave Maloney, with Mike Richter between the benches.

Howie isn't much younger than Sam, sadly, so I think that ship has sailed. I've always said Howie is one of the best in the business, and when the Islanders had Howie and Billy Jaffe it was one of the best duos around.

I don't love Joe all the time but he definitely has a good eye for the flow of the game, he has grown on me.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Was Sam serious when he questioned whether or not Buchnevich will make the team looking at the numbers? Joe said Buchnevich is making the team Sam. Then the OT thing. Maybe there is something wrong with him health wise.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I find Joe a lot better "between the benches" on NBC broadcasts than as the color guy on MSG broadcasts.

I think that role suits him more.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Yeah, Kenny is the likely Sam replacement, though I'd love Howie to come out of hockey retirement and take Sam's spot when he retires. The funny thing is, when you hear Sam doing the playoffs on the radio, he is so much better than on TV.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Love Sam Rosen and all he has accomplished but it might be time to look for a replacement in the next couple years. Painful sometimes listening to him struggle, at least a couple times a game. That's just age for you. My personal pick as a replacement? Gary Thorne, he did a few Kings games last year and still sounds great.

Gary Thorne is only a year younger than Sam and even though we're all nostalgic about him on ESPN, even when he was the lead PbP guy Thorne made so many errors and got so many names wrong. Sam is better at pronouncing names (both Rangers and opponents) and identifying the correct players at 70 than Thorne was when he was hockey's lead PbP guy in his prime.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Its only pre-season but I was glued to the TV for the first game.

I thought the whole right side of the defense played ok last night. Graves to me looks like he's ready. Someone compared him to him to McIlrath. I don't see that in him. He looks far more mobile that McIlrath did, and he did so without the glaring mistakes big Mac would seem to make at inopportune times.

Pionk goal was pretty. He was noticeable last night.

I expected DeAngelos' skating to be a little better. He's fast, but not as fluent as advertised. I like him, but need to see more.

On the Forwards, Nieves I thought played well. He certainly has the wheels. Seems like he has a head for the game. Even if the guy has hands like feet, he can win faceoffs, he's a big body and he can play a defensive role. I thinkhe is the guy to beat for 4th line C going into the season.

Andersson looked like he was having fun out there. Hustled, and played well. Especially in the first.

Carey also looked good. He's likely destined for the AHL, however hemight have been the best forward last night.

Tough night Schneider. Looked completely out of place.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Was Sam serious when he questioned whether or not Buchnevich will make the team looking at the numbers? Joe said Buchnevich is making the team Sam. Then the OT thing. Maybe there is something wrong with him health wise.

Yeah, that was the other major gaffe I picked up on as well. Joe had to pause before answering, and stumbled before finally saying "uh, I think he's on the team," or something like that. Joe was clearly dumbfounded by the comment.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Sam Rosen has a job as long as he wants the job in my book but last night after viewing some clips I realized how much I miss Jim Gordon and Bill Chadwick. They were so awesome!

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
LOL, Graves is a much better skater then Staal, his straight line speed probably doubles Staals... Yes his agility and mobility needs work, but he's miles ahead of Staal.

Straight line speed is great if the game was played in straight lines. It isn't.

He skates like mcilrath

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Besides Pionk's goal the best moment last night was courtesy of Sam and Joe and the start of the OT:

Sam:"It is a start of the overtime... (extended pause)... Both teams have three skaters (another pause)... Did I miss anything, Joe?"

Another extended pause by a clearly confused Joe..

Joe (in a confused voice):"No, Sam. You didn't miss anything..."

Again extended pause (Joe with mic off is probably reminding Sam how OT works).

Pure comedy!
Not a banner night for Sam, overall.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Its only pre-season but I was glued to the TV for the first game.

I thought the whole right side of the defense played ok last night. Graves to me looks like he's ready. Someone compared him to him to McIlrath. I don't see that in him. He looks far more mobile that McIlrath did, and he did so without the glaring mistakes big Mac would seem to make at inopportune times.

Pionk goal was pretty. He was noticeable last night.

I expected DeAngelos' skating to be a little better. He's fast, but not as fluent as advertised. I like him, but need to see more.

On the Forwards, Nieves I thought played well. He certainly has the wheels. Seems like he has a head for the game. Even if the guy has hands like feet, he can win faceoffs, he's a big body and he can play a defensive role. I thinkhe is the guy to beat for 4th line C going into the season.

Andersson looked like he was having fun out there. Hustled, and played well. Especially in the first.

Carey also looked good. He's likely destined for the AHL, however hemight have been the best forward last night.

Tough night Schneider. Looked completely out of place.

Regarding comment on DeAngelo.......what?? Kid was butter out there not sure you can be much smoother than that

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Straight line speed is great if the game was played in straight lines. It isn't.

He skates like mcilrath

He doesn't.

Balance and edge work are much better. Comparing him to Staal, who may be the slowest player in the league is unfair.

You'll remember how horrible Staal's feet are when he plays tomorrow.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Besides Pionk's goal the best moment last night was courtesy of Sam and Joe and the start of the OT:

Sam:"It is a start of the overtime... (extended pause)... Both teams have three skaters (another pause)... Did I miss anything, Joe?"

Another extended pause by a clearly confused Joe..

Joe (in a confused voice):"No, Sam. You didn't miss anything..."

Again extended pause (Joe with mic off is probably reminding Sam how OT works).

Pure comedy!

seriously what the **** was that :laugh: Was streaming the game while I was driving and I heard Sam go off and I started laughing my ass off

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
He doesn't.

Balance and edge work are much better. Comparing him to Staal, who may be the slowest player in the league is unfair.

You'll remember how horrible Staal's feet are when he plays tomorrow.

I only got to watch the game in spurts but all of our defensemen were good with getting the puck out and on its way up the ice. This team is going to be exciting to watch...

That is, until Staal steps foot on NHL ice, at which point I will probably cry

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Bereglazov, Staal, and Pedrie better take note on how DeAngelo and Pionk played tonight because they'll need to be on that level when they take the ice next.

Was not impressed with Graves. Poor lateral skating, got burned numerous times being flat footed and skaters moving laterally. He might not be an NHL player at this point, but it was only 1 preseason game. He'll get at least 2 more.

Holden is still bad. Please trade him.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Zipay tweeted out the line up for tomorrow. Chytil and Andersson both playing, it seems

NYR d-pairs: Skjei-Shattenkirk; Pedrie-Smith; Staal-Gilmour In goal; Lundqvist/Georgiev

NYR lines at prax, expected to play vs. NJ on Wed: Kreider-Andersson-Gropp; Puempel-Hayes-Zuccarello; Catenacci-Desharnais-Desjardins

Chytil with Vesey and Tambo

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Gary Thorne is only a year younger than Sam and even though we're all nostalgic about him on ESPN, even when he was the lead PbP guy Thorne made so many errors and got so many names wrong. Sam is better at pronouncing names (both Rangers and opponents) and identifying the correct players at 70 than Thorne was when he was hockey's lead PbP guy in his prime.
Was gonna post same. Gary Thorne with his "Manny Mal-hoar-tra" was painful.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Kenny Albert would be a great replacement for Sam. He's always been one of my favorite NFL/NHL announcers out there.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Zipay tweeted out the line up for tomorrow. Chytil and Andersson both playing, it seems

NYR d-pairs: Skjei-Shattenkirk; Pedrie-Smith; Staal-Gilmour In goal; Lundqvist/Georgiev

NYR lines at prax, expected to play vs. NJ on Wed: Kreider-Andersson-Gropp; Puempel-Hayes-Zuccarello; Catenacci-Desharnais-Desjardins

Chytil with Vesey and Tambo

Brutal... just brutal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad