Providence Bruins General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Good showing against a top league team despite coming up just short.

In addition to the 2 games previously mentioned they close out the schedule against a tough Hersey squad. They are currently tied for 2nd with LHV and Hershey is just 2 points of both. Big games going head to head with LH and the B's having a game in hand on both Hersey and Bridgeport. Team is in top form right now and primed for a good PO run.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Do not want WBS in round one, and hopefully not at all. Too many nightmares the last four years with them. Quite frankly there's no excuse for that club not to make the Calder Cup Finals.

It will be interesting to see if the Isles assign Halak to Bridgeport, he could be a difference maker.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Do not want WBS in round one, and hopefully not at all. Too many nightmares the last four years with them. Quite frankly there's no excuse for that club not to make the Calder Cup Finals.

It will be interesting to see if the Isles assign Halak to Bridgeport, he could be a difference maker.

I read somewhere that they didn't assign him because of World Championship tourney

Brewin8

Jul 17, 2008
British Columbia
I'm not following Providence as close as I follow the NHL Bruins, but I never hear anything about Alex Grant - 17 G 31 A, 48 pts this year; He is a veteran AHLer, why doesn't he ever get mentioned as a call-up possibility, or am I missing something?

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Would you rather see Phantoms or Bears in round 1?

I can't see Hershey finishing higher than fourth, so I really doubt Providence would draw them (It's 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 in division and WBS clinched the top spot yesterday by beating us). They aren't that good on paper and they certainly aren't going to get any help from Washington any time soon. But it's Hershey and that carries some history.

I'd rather face Lehigh Valley than a Bridgeport team with Halak. Providence got blown out one game down there around Christmastime, but also blew them out a couple months ago and has played pretty well against them overall. They are getting back Hagg and Stolarz from Philly.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
I'm not following Providence as close as I follow the NHL Bruins, but I never hear anything about Alex Grant - 17 G 31 A, 48 pts this year; He is a veteran AHLer, why doesn't he ever get mentioned as a call-up possibility, or am I missing something?

I don't watch the P-Bruins a lot, but in the 5 or 6 games I've seen them, Grant is cringe-worthy on a handful of plays each game.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

Won the PBruins "best defenseman" award yesterday. Celebrated by putting the puck on the opposition's stick more than once. He's Matt Irwin 2.0 (who also won best defenseman last year)

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Won the PBruins "best defenseman" award yesterday. Celebrated by putting the puck on the opposition's stick more than once. He's Matt Irwin 2.0 (who also won best defenseman last year)

Funny you say that. I haven't watched a lot of P-Bruins games (maybe a handful), but I did watch yesterday, and that certainly jumped out at me, just as it did in the last couple games I watched.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
According to CapFriendly, those two players are waiver exempt. Weal is not.

Yeah, I'm not 100% up to speed on the waiver process for vets, but I couldn't help but notice that the Flyers "paper transactioned" Weal on trade deadline day, sending him down and recalling him on the same day. Not sure if he needed to clear waivers there or not, but I'm assuming the only reason for the "paper transaction" was to make Weal eligible for the AHL playoffs.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yeah, I'm not 100% up to speed on the waiver process for vets, but I couldn't help but notice that the Flyers "paper transactioned" Weal on trade deadline day, sending him down and recalling him on the same day. Not sure if he needed to clear waivers there or not, but I'm assuming the only reason for the "paper transaction" was to make Weal eligible for the AHL playoffs.

He has been around forever. I drafted him for my SIM team years ago out of Regina, and had to give him up because he was taking so long to develop. Paper transaction or not, I would think he is well beyond the years part of the exempt process.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Per Mark Divver, the Providence Bruins let both of their radio guys go after Sunday's game. It was not performance related. CEO Jeff Fear says only opposing team audio will be available the rest of the year and the situation will be assessed in the offseason.

Fourth in the league in attendance and they make money hand over fist down there and they can't be bothered to have an internet feed, never mind get on a real radio station. It's all about the green, not the hockey down there.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Per Mark Divver, the Providence Bruins let both of their radio guys go after Sunday's game. It was not performance related. CEO Jeff Fear says only opposing team audio will be available the rest of the year and the situation will be assessed in the offseason.

Fourth in the league in attendance and they make money hand over fist down there and they can't be bothered to have an internet feed, never mind get on a real radio station. It's all about the green, not the hockey down there.

Where the home and away broadcasters sit at The Dunk is an embarrassment.

BruinsHockey

Jun 9, 2008
Rhode Island
Next to 302. Left side suite level high.

(Garbage Goal sent you a tweet about this convo.)

We haven't been on the radio for years. I just wish they had a way to listen on your phone. Albany (most games) Bridgeport and Providence are the only teams the Bruins play that don't have a radio feed beside AHL Live and I can't find the radio feed on that.

Off topic it's why I went to Bridgeport Saturday because all the other games I can get on Iheart or Tunein (away feeds).

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Next to 302. Left side suite level high.

(Garbage Goal sent you a tweet about this convo.)

We haven't been on the radio for years. I just wish they had a way to listen on your phone. Albany (most games) Bridgeport and Providence are the only teams the Bruins play that don't have a radio feed beside AHL Live and I can't find the radio feed on that.

Off topic it's why I went to Bridgeport Saturday because all the other games I can get on Iheart or Tunein (away feeds).

hate the trend that occurred down there I never really loved AHL Live and if this is the next trend it's disappointing and will turn many fans off their favorite hometown clubs

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Bruins lose 4-3 in Springfield. Szwarz, Porter and Cehlarik with goals. Subban was shaky at times and stopped 23 of 27.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad