Providence Bruins General Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadyAcorn

Oct 7, 2017
Kind of a weird game tonight. They had a fair amount of takeaways, but weren't able to capitalize on much of anything. The opposing goalie was lights out for the majority of the game and stopped a one timer that really should have gone in.

Zboril looked good from what I saw. He followed through with his checks and seemed to skate well. Lauzon had a nice blocked shot where he dropped down and took the shot in the hip. He skated off for a minute looking hurt but came back out and played well. O'Gara and Gryz seemed solid as well.

Once again I wasn't impressed with Senyshyn. He had a couple opportunities where he was camping next to the net but whiffed. I didn't see the time on ice, but I wouldn't be shocked if he had very little time out there. I had to really search the ice to find him. The Agostino, JFK, Cehlarik line did well all game.

McIntyre was decent, but the third goal he let in was very weak. It looked like a wrister from the boards just a bit before the blue line that went five hole. That was really the game ender. The P Bruins second goal was with maybe 15 seconds left.

It also felt like they were on the PK all game.

Last edited:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Pickard was the difference for Toronto and McIntyre’s sloppy turnover followed by a soft goal was the back breaker.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Kind of a weird game tonight. They had a fair amount of takeaways, but weren't able to capitalize on much of anything. The opposing goalie was lights out for the majority of the game and stopped a one timer that really should have gone in.

Zboril looked good from what I saw. He followed through with his checks and seemed to skate well. Lauzon had a nice blocked shot where he dropped down and took the shot in the hip. He skated off for a minute looking hurt but came back out and played well. O'Gara and Gryz seemed solid as well.

Once again I wasn't impressed with Senyshyn. He had a couple opportunities where he was camping next to the net but whiffed. I didn't see the time on ice, but I wouldn't be shocked if he had very little time out there. I had to really search the ice to find him. The Agostino, JFK, Cehlarik line did well all game.

McIntyre was decent, but the third goal he let in was very weak. It looked like a wrister from the boards just a bit before the blue line that went five hole. That was really the game ender. The P Bruins second goal was with maybe 15 seconds left.

It also felt like they were on the PK all game.
Good stuff

I hear you on Senyshyn but he skates well and he was around the plays and a few pucks went over his stick. I clearly get where you are coming from especially when comparing him to Agostino or Cehlarik

There is clearly talent

I'm not exactly Scotty Bowman but I coached kids and had mine play and I know that look.

He needs to get some success and build confidence and gain experience

To me it's

25 games - assess
50 games - assess
75 games - assess

Heinen as he went through these checkpoints made a big jump from 50 to 75 (AHL Playoffs)

The Heinen in Arizona against the Heinen in Providence last November is significantly better

Foolish of the HF crowd to rush to judgment on Senyshyn because he was dealt an Ace or two and he needs to just build on it

Confidence is huge here so some improvement and success are important

Langenbruuner and Whitfield I'm sure are working with him closely and that is comforting

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Good stuff

I hear you on Senyshyn but he skates well and he was around the plays and a few pucks went over his stick. I clearly get where you are coming from especially when comparing him to Agostino or Cehlarik

There is clearly talent

I'm not exactly Scotty Bowman but I coached kids and had mine play and I know that look.

He needs to get some success and build confidence and gain experience

To me it's

25 games - assess
50 games - assess
75 games - assess

Heinen as he went through these checkpoints made a big jump from 50 to 75 (AHL Playoffs)

The Heinen in Arizona against the Heinen in Providence last November is significantly better

Foolish of the HF crowd to rush to judgment on Senyshyn because he was dealt an Ace or two and he needs to just build on it

Confidence is huge here so some improvement and success are important

Langenbruuner and Whitfield I'm sure are working with him closely and that is comforting

I've watched Senny a few times and although he has good speed and can snipe my biggest concern has and always has been hockey IQ. Seeing the ice etc...You're right way to early to judge and with good coaching who knows but for me it's concerning that for the 2 years I've been following him nothing has changed. Same feedback as more and more folk watch him play. He's just there. Nothing jumps out other than an occasional burst of speed. He does have awesome shot.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
If you read what DeBrusk said (and dad also said) about his full season in the AHL last year, he struggled with the pro game until about half way through when it finally clicked for him. Heinen also had the skill but wasn't playing fast enough last year so he went through an almost full AHL year. Both had excellent deep playoff runs down there too.
I hope Senyshyn saw that and applies himself with the same mentality. The same goes for Gabrielle. Both could find themselves in Boston next year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If you read what DeBrusk said (and dad also said) about his full season in the AHL last year, he struggled with the pro game until about half way through when it finally clicked for him. Heinen also had the skill but wasn't playing fast enough last year so he went through an almost full AHL year. Both had excellent deep playoff runs down there too.
I hope Senyshyn saw that and applies himself with the same mentality. The same goes for Gabrielle. Both could find themselves in Boston next year.
I watched Gabrielle last night and he's a max effort guy-but I want to see skills. He hits and he's in the play but I want to see what he does with the puck. He hasn't really he had it much.

Senyshyn hasn't had the puck much either so other than checking off - he skates like a pro, his size is Good I'm left wondering

He did though both compete and play better positionally and that was in a week - I always look at that

I remember as a kid the Bruins traded for Bobby Schmautz and I watched him like a hawk and he was always in the right place and I realized he had come up as a bottom 6 forward on the Hull-Mikita Black Hawks and had to be sound defensively

Senyshyn will be coached well but it's going to come down to what's between his ears and can he process and make quick correct decisions

My advice would be
A. Know your position (without ass kissing ask for constant feedback from your coaches until it's natural)
B. Keep moving (DeBrusk looks like he's got this down)
C. Don't think - react (the game is to fast to consciously make decisions when the clock is ticking)

To me Cehlarik looks like he has a Phd

I repeatedly passed on Cehlarik in our prospect poll but I'm doing a 180

Last edited:
Reactions: Blowfish

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Senyshyn looks like he needs nurturing. That's why he's in the AHL. People were down on DeBrusk last year too. It's a long year. AHL is a great league to grow up.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

robinsonp16

Jan 12, 2017
Random question and in not trying to start trade talk either.

Do you think the performance of other teams in the same region ever effect the decisions of an organization. The reason I ask is, someone recently made a comment that a Celtics preseason game nearly edged a Bruins regular season game in terms of tv ratings. Do you think Bruins ownership looms at stuff like that and thinks "We need to make something happen because fans are starting to loose interest." You could make the case that the Bruins are #4 in the Boston sports hierarchy. I just wonder if that matters at all to them and if sometimes trades or free agent moves occur more to put fans in the seats.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Do you think the performance of other teams in the same region ever effect the decisions of an organization. The reason I ask is, someone recently made a comment that a Celtics preseason game nearly edged a Bruins regular season game in terms of tv ratings. Do you think Bruins ownership looms at stuff like that and thinks "We need to make something happen because fans are starting to loose interest." You could make the case that the Bruins are #4 in the Boston sports hierarchy. I just wonder if that matters at all to them and if sometimes trades or free agent moves occur more to put fans in the seats.

This probably isn’t the best thread for this post? I think this discussion was taking place in another thread last week?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
think I`d give Seny a touch more than a professional sample size of what? 3 games before exclaiming him to be any more than a kid with skill, promise who needs to learn the pro game. I`ve read a few comments here about his hockey IQ, I`ve not read anything about this kid lacking hockey IQ in all the articles, clips and posts from a few here who`s opinion I highly respect who`ve actually seen this kid play for a few years.

One thing (of many) that needs to be considered when these kids make the jump from Junior to the AHL is the pace of play/speed of the game increases a ton from all I have heard, and with that increase, these kids react slowly and sometimes it leads to plays that might appear to be lacking that on ice acumen but that isn`t fair IMO.

Give the kid 25-30 games, allow him and the other kids a chance to acclimate themselves with the speed, their teammates, new system and even at that time, they won`t be the finished product but at least by then, you should see some improvement or stronger level of comfort with them.

That first broadcast where the NESN boys were talking with Louie DeBrusk, he made some great points. He talked to Jake about there being no real rhyme or reason to why prospect A seems to acclimate quicker than prospect B despite both of them being of equal skill, it just happens that way. Said his boy took almost half the year to really start feeling comfortable.

Look at Heinen too, from all I read, sounded like the initial pro adjustment was a bit of a struggle but he improved as the season progressed, then come playoff time, sure sounded like he played exceptionally well.

I find it quite ironic that some posters here toss out a comment saying the B`s gave up on this guy or that guy too soon yet are the first to jump on here to exclaim a kid to be lacking hockey IQ after 3,4, 5 games into his pro career. Many here are too young to recall a time where prospects were just that, prospects and outside of the very few, the expectation was that kid was going to need a few years of seasoning in the minors before they were ready, now, if the kid doesn`t jump out in weekend 1 of the season, they are cooked

Reactions: Grumpy Grizz

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Senyshyn didn't impress in juniors, people simply need to lower their expectations.

Love to read the response to this, whom did he not impress? You, other Bruin posters? Listen, if you didn`t and don`t like the pick that`s fine, but I would like to know who he didn`t impress? This kid might have gotten chosen slightly ahead of where the experts predicted but it wasn`t like he was a projected 3rd rounder taken in the 1st.

I`ll go out on a limb and guess that over 90% of those who didn`t like the pick, had never heard of the kid, had never seen him play, couldn`t tell you what league and team he played in.

I`d never heard of him, no clue where he played but that didn`t prompt me to immediately dismiss the kid`s potential. 3 games into his pro career and I`ll guess your still unimpressed, solid sample size

Reactions: weaponomega

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

My family has had season tickets to 3 of the 4 teams and hockey has always been a cult sport to me

Hockey fans overall by my experience and observations by a larger % love and defend their sport the best

The Bruins will be fine - it's not really hockey season till baseball is over and the weather really gets cold to most

There is still solid interest in this team and it would take 60-80 point seasons - a couple to get back to late 90's apathy

The Red Sox don't come close to selling out 90% of their games even with back to back first place finishes

Lot to do around here and a lot of sports options

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Haven't seen enough of Senyshyn, but he hasn't made an impression one way or another yet. I will say DeBrusk was much the same when he started except he wasn't afraid to shoot (and miss).

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Haven't seen enough of Senyshyn, but he hasn't made an impression one way or another yet. I will say DeBrusk was much the same when he started except he wasn't afraid to shoot (and miss).

some here, IMO, are just too ready to crap on this prospect as they didn`t like the pick. I`m not a fan who`s following him with rose colored glasses, if a fan hasn`t liked his game, explain to me and the fans who haven`t seen him or don`t have access to watch him play what aspects of his game leave you unimpressed.

The most info I read about him are posts like yours and I`m sorry if it feels like I`m attacking you but tell me/us what part of his game you don`t like, what`s he doing/not doing that you think he needs to work on. Criticism is fine, fill us in on areas/aspects of his game you don`t like is all I ask. When I read a post from a fan about a player that isn`t a ringing endorsement, I tend to put more weight behind posters who fill me/us in on what that player isn`t doing that has them feeling this way, not just the "he`s got no hockey IQ" or "I`m not impressed" stuff, way too general IMO

While doing that, be aware the kid has played 3 games of pro hockey

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
some here, IMO, are just too ready to crap on this prospect as they didn`t like the pick. I`m not a fan who`s following him with rose colored glasses, if a fan hasn`t liked his game, explain to me and the fans who haven`t seen him or don`t have access to watch him play what aspects of his game leave you unimpressed.

The most info I read about him are posts like yours and I`m sorry if it feels like I`m attacking you but tell me/us what part of his game you don`t like, what`s he doing/not doing that you think he needs to work on. Criticism is fine, fill us in on areas/aspects of his game you don`t like is all I ask. When I read a post from a fan about a player that isn`t a ringing endorsement, I tend to put more weight behind posters who fill me/us in on what that player isn`t doing that has them feeling this way, not just the "he`s got no hockey IQ" or "I`m not impressed" stuff, way too general IMO

I appreciate all the feedback GG gives. I don't think GG is a scout and just gives us the feedback they feel comfortable giving. Even that bit about Seny, hasn't stuck out good or bad but that isn't uncommon for a young kid coming to Providence.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
■ Left winger Kenny Agostino, the ex-Yale standout, was named the AHL’s Player of the Week and now owns a 2-5—7 line with Providence. Stands to reason he will be asked to join the Black-and-Gold varsity for Tuesday’s practice in Brighton. Matt Beleskey, the current third-line left-sider, is 0-0—0 after five games. Enough. Agostino, the top scorer in the AHL last season, was signed for short-money insurance on July 1. Time to cash in the policy.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...ns-faceoffs/1pHBhYDwi08bnim4fINKwO/story.html

Reactions: Mainehockey33

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Senyshyn didn't impress in juniors, people simply need to lower their expectations.

I dont normally log in to make a comment. But when i do its to point out how ridiculous the comment is.

Attachments

• IMG_5575.JPG
    IMG_5575.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 3

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

See, now this a problem here with this board. All I said was he hasn't made an impression on me one way or another. Your interpretation of that is that I don't like him or his game.

If you were someone who disliked him, I feel like the response to me would be "What's so great about this kid? Tell me something that justifies making you think he's the next Brett Hull???"

Quite frankly, even someone saying "lower your expectations" isn't a completely unreasonable statement to someone talking about a kid yes, THREE games into a career. It's just as stupid to overrate someone that young as to call them trash.

I said Debrusk didn't stand out early and then he slowly began standing out more as the season went on. Isn't that enough to let you know I'm reserving judgement?

I just honestly haven't paid attention to Sen much and he hasn't given me anything to make me look his direction more the two games I've been to. Simple. Obviously it's JFK who's jumping out to me early for the new kids, as well Cehlarik upping his game since last year and Augustino being an elite AHL talent.

No, I'm not a scout as someone pointed out above. Just a fan. I also don't watch the CHL or very much NCAA beyond the Friars, so these guys are a clean slate to me coming in here. I'm excited when the new kids show up considering everyone here seems to have a binky they've got slated for the HHOF, but maybe I need to "lower my expectations" too. Hey I'm the idiot who saw Heinen's first game in Bridgeport the last day of the season two years ago and thought he was gonna start his career on Boston's second line.

Last edited:

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I appreciate all the feedback GG gives. I don't think GG is a scout and just gives us the feedback they feel comfortable giving. Even that bit about Seny, hasn't stuck out good or bad but that isn't uncommon for a young kid coming to Providence.

My comments are usually reserved for the team's overall play, not the individuals. I don't feel comfortable enough talking about specific player's games because I've misjudged a few in my time, both good and bad. Never thought Nick Boynton would have a decent NHL career, and I only pegged Adam McQuaid as being a "poor man's Mark Stuart" when he's probably better....

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I disagree. It's pretty ridiculous to say "lower your expectations" for a 1st round pick 3 games into his pro career.

He's a 1st round pick for a reason, he has high expectations because of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad