Prospects you were 100% sure about that busted.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Nikita Filatov is a player who when he was drafted, his raw talent screamed top 20 player in the world.

Dynamic, fast, skilled. Yet somehow, some way, the guy never figured it out, and is now playing in the KHL somewhere.

Reactions: Critical

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Cody Hodgson. That back injury did him in though.
I liked Alexander Burmistrov a lot as a 18 year old rookie.
Nail Yakupov was a treat to watch in junior.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Patrick Poulin
Kris Beech.
Denis Shvidki
Jani Rita
Martin Samuelsson
Nikita Filitov
Lauri Tukonen
Rotislav Olesz
Gilbert Brule

The 99 draft was bad for me.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Stefan Elliot.

Thought he was on pace to be the steal of the draft in 2009. Finished his final year of junior hockey with 31 goals and 81 points in 71 games as a defenseman, and never really developed past that.

forsbergfan21

May 1, 2017
Patrick Poulin
Kris Beech.
Denis Shvidki
Jani Rita
Martin Samuelsson
Nikita Filitov
Lauri Tukonen
Rotislav Olesz
Gilbert Brule

The 99 draft was bad for me.

the 99 draft was full of busts. besides the sedins, virtually the entire first round was horrendous. and back then, it was supposed to be a very strong draft. you mentioned kris beech (who btw ron Wilson mentioned the capitals had tanked that year and that's who they wound up with), shvidki and rita, but there's also patrik Stefan, pavel brendl, Jamie landmark, brian finley, plus many more who were expected to make a big impact.

someone above mentioned nail yakupov. I suppose that's the biggest bust since alexander daigle.

it's tough to bring up too many busts from older drafts, since it's not till much more recently (say the turn of the century at the earliest) that teams got drafting down to a T and you saw fewer bad first round picks. before that, take a look at the first rounds, very few star players taken, which was taken advantage of by teams like the red wings that were ahead of the curve with drafting.

one player that comes to mind that should have been much better is brett Connolly. I remember how much I paid in my fantasy league to acquire him after he was drafted. hasn't amounted to much, although recently I heard that steve yzerman never really wanted to pick him, and was convinced to do so by his scouting staff. should have trusted himself!!!

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Daigle was before my time but I'm sure he'd be at the top of most people's list.

The guy was supposed to be a superstar.

In my eyes, I still can't believe Nail Yakupov became the dud he is now. He was so much fun to watch with Sarnia.

Reactions: FishManSam

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
McIlrath convinced me he was going to be a solid top 4 D for a while. Hated the pick, thought he was going to bust, then last year he played really well with Yandle for a while and I started to love him and was sure he was going to be a top 4 D and I thought I was wrong about him.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
McIlrath convinced me he was going to be a solid top 4 D for a while. Hated the pick, thought he was going to bust, then last year he played really well with Yandle for a while and I started to love him and was sure he was going to be a top 4 D and I thought I was wrong about him.

He convinced a few other legendary posters of his brilliance as well; I will never forget the McIlrath > Fowler 'underlying numbers' angle that some professionals were throwing around on here

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Brandon Gormley, Stefan Elliott, Jarred Tinordi.

And also according to HF Drouin is a bust so him.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Here's some more for me.

Jared Cowen, Magnus Paajarvi, Cory Conacher, Oscar Dansk, Derrick Pouliot, Slater Koekkoek

Some still have time to redeem themselves

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Jarred Tinordi
Alexandr Svitov
Marek Zagrapan
Taylor Doherty
Sebastian Collberg
Louis Leblanc
Ben Maxwell

Thought these guys were can't miss prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad