Prospects and Marlies Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I think he'll surprise people next year. Pretty much everything that could go wrong for him did last year. At first he was doing as much as he could with little offensive support. Then he got injured. And then once Sarnia added offensive talent, it was guys like Konecny and Mistele who took ice time away from him.

Next year however, Mistele is gone. That means he could very well slot in on the 1st line with Zacha and Konecny. That should help him a lot.

Looking at all the games, from all the videos I've made for him, Chychrun, etc..., it sometimes looks like he sets up a lot of those big names.., but then two other players somehow manage to touch the puck before it goes in.. and he misses out on some of the set-up assists..? I wonder how well they would all do without him..? He was very noticeable in the 2015 Leafs Rookie Tournie, with his sense of smarts..

By the way... (sidenote)... You should check your family tree..., Sea.., because we might be related...

Yes... You are "Sea Of Blue"... and I am "Seer Of Blue"... LOL! :laugh: That's actually how I pulled out this channel and avatar name.. :) (old farts like me have a weird sense of humor, at times..)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Big limitation is Dermott's top speed. He's definitely a calm, brainy defenceman but I'm wondering if skating will impact his upside.

Strong skating D is become more and more critical in the NHL. Even as the playoffs get tighter, good puck movement from the back end has to be there.

He's not going to break out like a Gardiner or Rielly, but he is a good skater without the top end speed. What I really like is his ability to slow down the play & to make an excellent first pass. He'll be a threat with the pass, not the end to end.

We're so spoiled with Gardiner and Rielly that everyone else next to them are just average skaters. :laugh:

Dermott makes up for it in cleverness. Kaberle wasn't an explosive skater either, but you rarely noticed due to the fact he reads the game so well.

You guys trying to depress everyone by recycling the Percy talk, or worse, the Finn talk?

Smart player(s) no wheels.

And from the Laine discussion we know you can't improve your skating. :sarcasm:

Love to see the Leafs somehow grab a big, elite skating, defender in this draft. We know they won't get an elite top 4 defender late, but maybe they risk 31st. on someone like Day. That's a swing for the fences, but they can afford to waste one.

Or perhaps a more reasonable target is Markus Niemelainen, 6'5", and apparently a fluid skater who plays a two-way game.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
You guys trying to depress everyone by recycling the Percy talk, or worse, the Finn talk?

Smart player(s) no wheels.

Eh I'm pretty sure you don't need elite level skating to be in the NHL. Percy isn't struggling to find a permanent place in the NHL because of his skating, at least in my opinion.

Dermott moves very well and I don't see how anyone could say he's not a good skater. I've haven't read or seen anything that points to that being a deficiency in his game at all. He won't burn people from the backend like Rielly, but he's very agile and moves around very well.

Jesse Blacker was a fantastic skating defender. He had a lot of tools but zero toolbox. Ryan Murphy was one of the best OHL skating defenders and he's struggling to find a permanent spot on the Canes. It goes both ways.

Last edited:

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Lindberg were is he?

Is he injured, felt bad about the Goat he absolutely looked terrified the other night, guy's half his size were taking liberties with him and he refused to respond. Don't expect him to fight but with his skating and size expect him to take the body when ever he can. It was obvious that Albany's game plan was to hit him and that he wouldn't respond.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm glad Kelly got 10 games but I'd never make the trade of Johnson for Kelly

It should have been double - Kelly is a dead end career guy who almost ruined the chance of a guy to become a legit NHLer.

I think they should start fining coaches - you dress a goon/plug and they do something stupid they need to face some sort of repercussion.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
ok some people seem to forget there is multiple types of prospects

your elite.... gretz Mario Crosby mcdavid. guys who got drafted and didn't miss a beat joining the league after they were

great. your marners nylanders/ players that take a year or 2 to break in to the league after being drafted

Promising. guys that need extra seasoning to get pieces together

later Bloomers - the all forgotten one. lots of players even great ones. don't hit the league till there 25. or at least there full stride

then you also have your duds/busts and so fourth but the point being just cause kap is a stride behind nylander and co at the moment, does not make him any less valuable as a prospect just a longer term as one.

I know everyone likes to call bust after a year or 2 but in all reality a guy like freddy hell even guys like harrinton/percy should be fully developed in another couple years. not this year or last.
for the defense I know some have to go this year. or by the pre season. I was pertaining to the timeline of development more then anything

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto

your elite.... gretz Mario Crosby mcdavid. guys who got drafted and didn't miss a beat joining the league after they were

great. your marners nylanders/ players that take a year or 2 to break in to the league after being drafted

later Bloomers - the all forgotten one. lots of players even great ones. don't hit the league till there 25. or at least there full stride

then you also have your duds/busts and so fourth but the point being just cause kap is a stride behind nylander and co at the moment, does not make him any less valuable as a prospect just a longer term as one.

I know everyone likes to call bust after a year or 2 but in all reality a guy like freddy hell even guys like harrinton/percy should be fully developed in another couple years. not this year or last.
for the defense I know some have to go this year. or by the pre season. I was pertaining to the timeline of development more then anything

These players are above elite. That group is called generational.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
sorry if this has been asked but can or will Marner join the Marlies? Thanks

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It should have been double - Kelly is a dead end career guy who almost ruined the chance of a guy to become a legit NHLer.

I think they should start fining coaches - you dress a goon/plug and they do something stupid they need to face some sort of repercussion.

Nonsense. You are responsible for your own actions. Won't happen bud. Hyman is not a fighter but he defended his teammate. Thats human reaction. The elbow wasn't planned by the coach. Although they thought they could intimidate a skill team. Its not working and after the next game the Marlies will be moving on.

Albany can't hold the Marlies off matching defense against offense. Thats the matchup to watch next. If the Marlies come out fired up the game could be fun for us to watch. I don't expect another blowout unless Albany takes penalties.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

Sam Carrick was one of the hottest Marlies down the stretch and is a project player. He can play for the Marlies and develop more next year too. Thete is lots of time for our prospects. Percy included too.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Martins Dzierkals leads rookies in playoff scoring with five goals and 15 points in 19 games for the Huskies.

Slammed 2 home yesterday to eliminate Timashov. Tima will probably go to the Marlies right away.

The coach there loves Dzierkal's.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Is he injured, felt bad about the Goat he absolutely looked terrified the other night, guy's half his size were taking liberties with him and he refused to respond. Don't expect him to fight but with his skating and size expect him to take the body when ever he can. It was obvious that Albany's game plan was to hit him and that he wouldn't respond.

Lindberg is injured. Not much information on it though.

Gauthier isn't much of a terror. He throws hits but he's generally a friendly giant. And if Albany's gameplan is to hit Gauthier and get him off his game, they are much dumber than I thought.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
So i guess Timashov slots in at some point in this playoff run. Get him some time to learn the system and then plop him in. Would have liked to see him with Johnson. I think they'll be elite together next year for the Marlies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So i guess Timashov slots in at some point in this playoff run. Get him some time to learn the system and then plop him in. Would have liked to see him with Johnson. I think they'll be elite together next year for the Marlies.

Doubtful I think. Bracco is also available to the Marlies, for the record.

Dermott got to play because the Marlies are starting the depth on defence is thinner right now due to injuries... but the forwards still have a few guys that are ahead of Timashov and Bracco.

Lindberg should be back anytime now you'd think. Frattin should be available. Gauthier is still there. They still have a couple other good AHL players like Findlay available too.

Number13

May 21, 2007
Slammed 2 home yesterday to eliminate Timashov. Tima will probably go to the Marlies right away.

The coach there loves Dzierkal's.

Probably the most underrated prospect in the system right now. This kid has major potential. Hreat feet, great hands, competitive. Babs will like him.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Doubtful I think. Bracco is also available to the Marlies, for the record.

Dermott got to play because the Marlies are starting the depth on defence is thinner right now due to injuries... but the forwards still have a few guys that are ahead of Timashov and Bracco.

Lindberg should be back anytime now you'd think. Frattin should be available. Gauthier is still there. They still have a couple other good AHL players like Findlay available too.

Yeah, it's still cluttered. Just saying because he'll be on the Marlies next year. But with that reasoning, so will Gauthier, Dermott, Nielsen and even Bracco. I think Bracco will go back to Kitchener but it's still the same point.

:) :laugh:

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Yeah, it's still cluttered. Just saying because he'll be on the Marlies next year. But with that reasoning, so will Gauthier, Dermott, Nielsen and even Bracco. I think Bracco will go back to Kitchener but it's still the same point.

:) :laugh:

A lot depends on how many UFA the Leafs sign this summer. Because if we dont, you could have as many as 5 current Marlies on the Leafs -- Nylander, Hyman and Sosh appear to be penciled in. I feel like if Conor Brown plays well he would earn a top 9 spot too. Lastly, one of Leipsic or Leivo could be up too in a supporting role.

If that happens there will be spots open. Going back to Leivo, I dont believe he is waiver eligible next year. Considering his AHL production, and his 6 NHL goals (in limited games) he 100% gets claimed. As such, if he doesnt make the team you have to trade him. And no I dont think this would be similar to the Colborne fiasco, because we are going to be a young team anyways

There will be spots for the first year pros -- if they are ready. The exception is Bracco. Do not rush him into the AHL. I know he is infinitely more talented than Jerry D'Amigo.... but at the same time, you look at Jerry's amazing 18 year old season and what he turned out to be, and you cannot help but wonder if playing in the AHL so soon wasnt the right move

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto

I don't think any team comes into a series against the Marlies thinking "How can we get this Gauthier guy off his game?"

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Probably the most underrated prospect in the system right now. This kid has major potential. Hreat feet, great hands, competitive. Babs will like him.

Dzierkals is another gem hidden in the Leaf's system.
But shortly to face Marner and the Knights.
I think that may up his profile a bit!!! :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad