Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
he has a to significantly improve to become a bottom pair KHL dman!

He's 19 playing in a pro league, and the next youngest player on his club is 24. Jokerit finished #3 in the K last season and most of their D are back so he isn't going to be anointed playing time. Its way too early worry about how much they play him. If he gets regular minutes later on in the year on a veteran club like this, that will be a milestone. I think we have some PTSD from the Gauthier pick and are a little unrealistic about how quickly a giant kid can grow into their body. Chara at 19 was playing second pairing in Prince George. He isn't Chara but he is also not Middleton. I figured him for at least 2 full years in the AHL, after he graduated from Junior.. I think he will be a Marlie next season but two years in the K is fine with me. If he isn't playing regular minutes next season I will be starting to get concerned.

Oleksiak was 25 before he played a full NHL season. Morin played 2 full seasons in the AHL and the Flyers still think he is going to be a player. There's still time.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
He's 19 playing in a pro league, and the next youngest player on his club is 24. Jokerit finished #3 in the K last season and most of their D are back so he isn't going to be anointed playing time. Its way too early worry about how much they play him. If he gets regular minutes later on in the year on a veteran club like this, that will be a milestone. I think we have some PTSD from the Gauthier pick and are a little unrealistic about how quickly a giant kid can grow into their body. Chara at 19 was playing second pairing in Prince George. He isn't Chara but he is also not Middleton. I figured him for at least 2 full years in the AHL, after he graduated from Junior.. I think he will be a Marlie next season but two years in the K is fine with me. If he isn't playing regular minutes next season I will be starting to get concerned.

Oleksiak was 25 before he played a full NHL season. Morin played 2 full seasons in the AHL and the Flyers still think he is going to be a player. There's still time.
:clap::clap::clap:

Reactions: NCoRe

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada

I think he jumped to the KHL way too soon and this may destroy any confidence he had in himself. I really hope he comes back to the CHL, I know he was homesick but maybe something can be worked out so a family member can come over as well

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Rasanen isnt playing period. id take bottom pairing ECHL over him sitting in a press box insane decision. perhaps if he was home sick he should have chose a finnish elite league team to go to at least have a chance to develop. He showed no progression in the OHL from draft year to draft +1. Bust is too strong of a word but incredibly ridiculous develpment will need to happen before he can be even considered a chance. Most players progress in the CHL after their draft year

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Rasanen isnt playing period. id take bottom pairing ECHL over him sitting in a press box insane decision. perhaps if he was home sick he should have chose a finnish elite league team to go to at least have a chance to develop. He showed no progression in the OHL from draft year to draft +1. Bust is too strong of a word but incredibly ridiculous develpment will need to happen before he can be even considered a chance. Most players progress in the CHL after their draft year

He showed no offensive progression from his draft year to draft + 1 year. He took major leaps defensively and improved his skating ability. Of course, it's harder to quantify that sort of progression than the type of progression Nielsen made in his D+1 year, but all of that production has not really translated into a good player by any means.

Reactions: Walshy7

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I think you have it all wrong Walshy. Hes training to be Corrado 2.0 :laugh:
Seriously though some big guys need time.
Remember when Ottawa kept redden and got rid of chara?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

The problem is Salt how often these big guys with mobility issues seem to not work out and is using a 2nd rounder on that type of player a decent idea?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The problem is Salt how often these big guys with mobility issues seem to not work out and is using a 2nd rounder on that type of player a decent idea?
Ya I'm not thinking about where we drafted him. It seemed like a swing for the fences pick and I'm waiting a bit longer until I judge.
I have not seen him play for a while but he didn't seem to have bad feet. His pivots were good awful and it looked like he needed strength to propel that large frame. That said if he doesn't improve his pivots hes not going to make it

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Ya I'm not thinking about where we drafted him. It seemed like a swing for the fences pick and I'm waiting a bit longer until I judge.
I have not seen him play for a while but he didn't seem to have bad feet. His pivots were good awful and it looked like he needed strength to propel that large frame. That said if he doesn't improve his pivots hes not going to make it

I didn't think his feet were bad either but I'm left wondering how easily a huge guy like that can develop explosion in his first couple of strides and improve his pivots especially when he started at such a disadvantage originally

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I didn't think his feet were bad either but I'm left wondering how easily a huge guy like that can develop explosion in his first couple of strides and improve his pivots especially when he started at such a disadvantage originally
Speed can come with man strength and some tweaks if needed, pivots are more tricky and for a defenseman, imo, more important than speed

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Speed can come with man strength and some tweaks if needed, pivots are more tricky and for a defenseman, imo, more important than speed

We'll since he doesn't seem to have much by way of 4-way mobility I think we've got a bit of an issue with Rasanen

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
We'll since he doesn't seem to have much by way of 4-way mobility I think we've got a bit of an issue with Rasanen
In the now I agree, but I'm hopeful for a future where he pivots like a turnstile at a bus station haha

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

lets keep rasanen just in case we luck into a hall of fame giant dman? for the record im not saying get rid of him, he just hasn't shown close to enough improvement

edit: you been away for a while, not noticed you around in a bit. Although could be your posts are boring and easy to skip over :sarcasm:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
We will see him at the WJC, it will give everyone a good idea of where he is at.

will we though? if he hasn't played a game or played minimal games its very possible they leave him out. That's why this move to become a press box guy is incredibly stupid. He should of got some assurances or chose a FEL team instead of the finnish KHL team

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
lets keep rasanen just in case we luck into a hall of fame giant dman? for the record im not saying get rid of him, he just hasn't shown close to enough improvement

edit: you been away for a while, not noticed you around in a bit. Although could be your posts are boring and easy to skip over :sarcasm:
I think the boring posts is the right answer haha. I've been sporadic in my post but I've been around. Basically lurking with a side of posting, but hockey starting means that I will be subjecting you and all of HF with my pedantic psycho-babble soon

Edit
Ya I don't think you're advocating dropping rasanen I was just saying maybe his development pace is slower because he is a giant

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think the boring posts is the right answer haha. I've been sporadic in my post but I've been around. Basically lurking with a side of posting, but hockey starting means that I will be subjecting you and all of HF with my pedantic psycho-babble soon

Edit
Ya I don't think you're advocating dropping rasanen I was just saying maybe his development pace is slower because he is a giant

#49pointHyman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad