Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I really like Grundstrom, I think he will be the perfect complement to Tavares or Matthews.

In the future I will look forward to

Grundstrom
Johnsson
Hyman
Engvall

as Left wings on the big team.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I really like Grundstrom, I think he will be the perfect complement to Tavares or Matthews.

In the future I will look forward to

Grundstrom
Johnsson
Hyman
Engvall

as Left wings on the big team.
I like the idea of Engvall being on the 4th line, not sure if there's a place for his numbers but I bet he had really good possession stats. Big guy who can cycle and contribute offensively.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I don't want to write off Korshkov and Ransanen yet. Maybe they make it, maybe they don't. If they don't, it will obviously be/feel like a bigger miss based on where they were picked.

When both were taken, I had the thought of, "Hmm, looks like exactly what our system needs." And this also brings up the size vs skill debate. In today's NHL, a player with size + skill desired is becoming more and more rare. The player either doesn't have enough skill or speed, or even both.

It's no longer the 90s, if you don't have either skill or speed (hopefully you have both), you are basically useless. We can lament about being too small, but these days, it's not about height and weight charts on paper. It's if you have it in your game or not. Grundstroms and DeBrusks are what we should be looking for. The true giants just can't keep up in today's game. Give me someone who is 5'9 165 and plays a hard game rather than someone 6'4 210 that has no skill or speed.

Reactions: weems

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't want to write off Korshkov and Ransanen yet. Maybe they make it, maybe they don't. If they don't, it will obviously be/feel like a bigger miss based on where they were picked.

When both were taken, I had the thought of, "Hmm, looks like exactly what our system needs." And this also brings up the size vs skill debate. In today's NHL, a player with size + skill desired is becoming more and more rare. The player either doesn't have enough skill or speed, or even both.

It's no longer the 90s, if you don't have either skill or speed (hopefully you have both), you are basically useless. We can lament about being too small, but these days, it's not about height and weight charts on paper. It's if you have it in your game or not. Grundstroms and DeBrusks are what we should be looking for. The true giants just can't keep up in today's game. Give me someone who is 5'9 165 and plays a hard game rather than someone 6'4 210 that has no skill or speed.

Well Rasanen is definitely far from a write-off. He's a 99' playing in a league where guys that young usually do not play at all. We might as well just write off everyone playing in the KHL then, because we have guys two or three years older struggling to make it as wingers (which is a lot easier than as a defenseman, especially in that league).

Korshkov too. Although he is a 96' and has suffered two major injuries thus far. Plus his playing time seems to be quite inconsistent. However he is still a top 10 prospect in our system, and you do not get there without some merit.

kerk

Apr 27, 2009
is it true Durzi was cut and sent down to the Marlies?
looks like him and hollowell were sent to marlies training camp. doesn't mean they'll be playing pro though-- brooks was sent to marlies camp after his draft year, too, and he still got sent back to regina.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
looks like him and hollowell were sent to marlies training camp. doesn't mean they'll be playing pro though-- brooks was sent to marlies camp after his draft year, too, and he still got sent back to regina.

Looks like there is a HUGE logjam of Dmen and it really looks like Durzi will be sent back down as an over-ager

Last edited:

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I hope not.

Only one gets a NHL spot, the rest will be sent down: Ozhiganov, Carrick, Rosen, Loverde (he is 29 too), Borgman, Holl, Marincin, Liljegren, Nielsen, and Subban

I didn't include Durzi or Sandin (I'm hoping he will play in Europe against men). So it looks like Durzi will be back down to the OHL

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Only one gets a NHL spot, the rest will be sent down: Ozhiganov, Carrick, Rosen, Loverde (he is 29 too), Borgman, Holl, Marincin, Liljegren, Nielsen, and Subban

I didn't include Durzi. So it looks like he will be back down to the OHL
Are you familiar with trades?

What about the ECHL?

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Are you familiar with trades?

What about the ECHL?

Yes I agree anything can happen but my point is as of right now it looks like Durzi is headed to the OHL. However there is a chance Durzi plays himself on the team and forces the Leafs to put someone in the ECHL

I also edited my comment to include Sandin

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Yes I agree anything can happen but my point is as of right now it looks like Durzi is headed to the OHL. However there is a chance Durzi plays himself on the team and forces the Leafs to put someone in the ECHL

I also edited my comment to include Sandin
Hoping they keep him around to train with the Marlies and get spot duty (a la Bracco last season).

He's a 98 born and we just used a 2nd round pick on him. Ideally, you don't want 2nd round picks playing an OA CHL season.

For reference, he's the same age as Victor Mete.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Hoping they keep him around to train with the Marlies and get spot duty (a la Bracco last season).

He's a 98 born and we just used a 2nd round pick on him. Ideally, you don't want 2nd round picks playing an OA CHL season.

For reference, he's the same age as Victor Mete.

I agree that at his age, the AHL is the best place for Durzi this year. Hopefully he sees time as a 6th/7th Dman for the Marlies. We’ll see how things play out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad