Prospect Info: Prospect Tournament

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I wonder if this thing will get bigger over time. Maybe next year its 4 games per team. The year after that another club joins the group. And then 5 games after that. It really helps gauge prospects against other clubs because they're not playing pros and they're not playing juniors, so it really helps a team compare pools.

Personally, I really like the Flames cupboards right now. All of our guys have great skill relative to their peers when the work effort is there

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I wonder if this thing will get bigger over time. Maybe next year its 4 games per team. The year after that another club joins the group. And then 5 games after that. It really helps gauge prospects against other clubs because they're not playing pros and they're not playing juniors, so it really helps a team compare pools.

Personally, I really like the Flames cupboards right now. All of our guys have great skill relative to their peers when the work effort is there

I dunno. I think as much as the fans like it, teams probably not as much. The more games that get played, the higher chance of injuries and whatnot. Maybe I'm just pessimistic though.

As interesting as it is to see how we compare against other teams pools, there are just way too many factors missing, whether its actual drive for all the players or the fact that teams are missing prospects to the NCAA and Europe. I think NHL teams are more interested in how their own prospects stack up in training camp.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I dunno. I think as much as the fans like it, teams probably not as much. The more games that get played, the higher chance of injuries and whatnot. Maybe I'm just pessimistic though.

As interesting as it is to see how we compare against other teams pools, there are just way too many factors missing, whether its actual drive for all the players or the fact that teams are missing prospects to the NCAA and Europe. I think NHL teams are more interested in how their own prospects stack up in training camp.

But training camp has guys stack up against goalies like Kipper, bodies like Sarich, Speed like Bouwmeester, so while that shows how close a guy is to being in the NHL, it doesn't show how well he's developing and if its a normal progression. I dunno. When I see a guy play subpar in this tourney, then you know they're really far behind the curve. But main camp will give us more looks too

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
But training camp has guys stack up against goalies like Kipper, bodies like Sarich, Speed like Bouwmeester, so while that shows how close a guy is to being in the NHL, it doesn't show how well he's developing and if its a normal progression. I dunno. When I see a guy play subpar in this tourney, then you know they're really far behind the curve. But main camp will give us more looks too

Yeah but if these three games were really that huge, Bartschi would be the worst prospect ever.

It helps, don't get me wrong, but I highly doubt the scouts place that much overall value on this tournament. It's not like its the WJC for draft available players.

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
Stepping Out Of The Shadows

It will be another day before the next game so it might be a good time to discuss some of the surprises in the Penticton tournament.

To my way of thinking, three players in particular have surprised. Ortio, Granlund and Ferland have elevated their game, so at least we know, under the right circumstances, these three have upper level abilities.

This is not to say they will demonstrate these abilities on a regular basis, but man when they are on, they are really on. And of these three, Ortio has demonstrated the most complete, dominating game of any Flames prospect to this point.

I am not saying any of them is a sure thing and the true proof will be sustaining their performance against better competition night in and night out, but I had no idea Ortio could play that well.

abracanada

Aug 29, 2004
Just making comment on surprising events coming out of the tournament. Who would you rate at the top performers from the Flames? I find Ortio has performed better than any Flames prospect. Any of them. Doesn't that surprise you a bit?

Trae

Calgary
Ferland and Ortio don't surprise me. I've had high hopes for Ortio for a long time, even when he had his "poor" season. And Ferland always had it in him so its nice to see flashes, hopefully he has a more successful year. Ortio also had ONE game so far, so lets temper our expectations haha.

For me the biggest surprise not only through Penticton but also prospect camp, has been Granlund. He also had a really strong showing at the World Juniors as well, but every time I watch him I come away more impressed. He's a huge question mark going into the season, and I think he'll definitely get some NHL games under his belt.

Elson has stepped out of the shadows for me though, someone I hardly ever paid attention to but he makes that difficult now, will be keeping my eye on him as well.

Eric Roy is someone a lot of fellow fans were pretty excited about that I never paid much attention to for whatever reason, but last night he was terrific. It'll be exciting watching his progress going forward.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Ferland looks like he's been playing in the dub for too long. Hopefully he brings it to the AHL this year.

Granlund looks like someone that's been playing in a men's league. Another tier of his own(until we see Scheifele though)

Sven's only there to show up though :(

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Although it is just a to specs tournament, I am a bit disappointed right now in Sven Baertschi. Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I was hoping for him to absolutely dominate this tourny. Have him play with the best possible linemates and be leading the tourny in points. But he doesn't look interested. Better step it up if he plans to start the season in Calgary.

Aug 3, 2010
Ferland looks like he's been playing in the dub for too long. Hopefully he brings it to the AHL this year.

Granlund looks like someone that's been playing in a men's league. Another tier of his own(until we see Scheifele though)

Sven's only there to show up though :(

Flames don't play Jets in this tournament so you'll have to view him in one of their matches - I'd suggest watching a Winnipeg / Canucks game for better evaluation.

Although it is just a to specs tournament, I am a bit disappointed right now in Sven Baertschi. Maybe I'm being unrealistic, but I was hoping for him to absolutely dominate this tourny. Have him play with the best possible linemates and be leading the tourny in points. But he doesn't look interested. Better step it up if he plans to start the season in Calgary.

I find more of the top-flight or 'veteran' players of this tournament tend to show up less as their own goals aren't to look good against players of a "lesser calibre" - TJ Brodie comes to mind as his performance was quite average in his appearance. Their goal is to play for a spot amongst veteran NHLers.

However, with that being said, Baertschi isn't exactly being average either - he's not engaging himself into the play enough. Then again, he might have been told to scale it back because the coaching staff might want to see more from the other players on the roster.

Either way, just as with Ortio or Ferland or whoever, a few games in a prospect tournament doesn't mean much.

Last edited:

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Flames don't play Jets in this tournament so you'll have to view him in one of their matches - I'd suggest watching a Winnipeg / Canucks game for better evaluation.

I find more of the top-flight or 'veteran' players of this tournament tend to show up less as their own goals aren't to look good against players of a "lesser calibre" - TJ Brodie comes to mind as his performance was quite average in his appearance. Their goal is to play for a spot amongst veteran NHLers.

However, with that being said, Baertschi isn't exactly being average either - he's not engaging himself into the play enough. Then again, he might have been told to scale it back because the coaching staff might want to see more from the other players on the roster.

Either way, just as with Ortio or Ferland or whoever, a few games in a prospect tournament doesn't mean much.

Yea I get what your saying. Maybe he was told to take it easy, but if I were coach I would tell him to put boots to ***** and light them up. I get you wanna showcase all the depth of prospects, but a part of me wants Sven to show elite production against the other teams prospects. Maybe in the next game he'll turn it on. Show the staff that he is going to be the top line player they want him to be.

Watching these games gets me excited for our youth. But also excited to see these kids playing with a Glencross, or a Cammalari.

Can't wait till preseason.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
I wouldn't be too worried about Bartschi guys. He has looked alright so far to me. Not dominating, but it doesn't seem like he's getting tons of ice time either. He should not be getting flack for playing average over the course of two games.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I wouldn't be too worried about Bartschi guys. He has looked alright so far to me. Not dominating, but it doesn't seem like he's getting tons of ice time either. He should not be getting flack for playing average over the course of two games.

As others have said he has likely been told to take it easy. He is clearly looking passive, and Baertschi is not that kind of player by nature. The kid works hard.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
It will be another day before the next game so it might be a good time to discuss some of the surprises in the Penticton tournament.

To my way of thinking, three players in particular have surprised. Ortio, Granlund and Ferland have elevated their game, so at least we know, under the right circumstances, these three have upper level abilities.

This is not to say they will demonstrate these abilities on a regular basis, but man when they are on, they are really on. And of these three, Ortio has demonstrated the most complete, dominating game of any Flames prospect to this point.

I am not saying any of them is a sure thing and the true proof will be sustaining their performance against better competition night in and night out, but I had no idea Ortio could play that well.

I have the same top three from this tournament, although not as high of praise for Ortio, since we've only seen him do this in one game (whereas Granlund has shown great skill in both and Ferland has also shown drive and offensive ability).

As an honourable mention I'd say Monahan has not been doing bad. His defensive game is just as advertised and two goals in two games is not bad considering he's only 18.

Trae

Calgary
@CruickshankCH: About #Flames LW Michael Ferland's much-improved play -- he was 234 pounds last winter. He's 210 now.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
As others have said he has likely been told to take it easy. He is clearly looking passive, and Baertschi is not that kind of player by nature. The kid works hard.

Tht's what I thought when I heard about the lazy Sven first. That's just not him, he'd never take a training session or a development camp too lightly, he's a fighter on all stages.
The comment's about him better starting in the AHL are ridiculous, let's await the real camp first before making such statements.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
It's an overreaction to the first real glimpse of hockey after a dark offseason. "Start in the AHL" "problem between the ears" "unacceptable".. Those sentiments will all be forgotten when he's sucking in top 6 time in the bigs showing us what he's got. Buuuuuut, I won't forget, don't worry guys, I'll remember to serve up some crow for yuh :)

All seriousness though, it's a prospect tourny guys, this tournament is 1) a coming out party for newly drafted kids 2) a tryout for unsigned prospects and AHL hopefuls. Svens audition will be training camp and preseason.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Looks like Brenden Kichton and Mitchell Theoret have the scoring lead now for the tournament. Let's hope Granlund or Ramage have a great night so we can stay on top. Also worth noting that Winnipeg's power play is better than ours. :'(

Also, does anyone know when main camp starts?

Last edited:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Does anyone know if the pre-season games will be televised or available on FlamesTV.

Games start on Saturday!!

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
So I found out that the Oilers website will broadcast one of the split-squad games on Saturday.

Ottawa's website says that Monday's game is on Rogers 22 ( :dunno: )

Sportsnet doesn't say if anything else is scheduled and the Flames website doesn't indicate any Flames games broadcasted except the Coyotes game

TSN will broadcast the Coyotes game on the 25th.

CBC is not broadcasting any Flames pre-season games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad