Prospect Info: Prospect Thread (Overseas, College, Junior, etc)

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I read their review and didn't have much issues with it. They clearly emphasized the goalie position a lot, meaning that starting goalie is ways above a mere top-six forward.

What struck out for me in the article was that Wood actually played mostly center in the BCHL. So it's no wonder they have tried to put him at center in the NCAA as well.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Came in at 8th in the Athletic prospect rankings. Wheeler says we're a top tier talent from a top three prospect pool. . His criteria is under 23 and can't be a "full time" NHL players which he states is arbitrary. Still sort of bizarre to me that he considers Tomasino a prospect but not Evangelista, Parsinnen, or Afanasyev but oh well. In any case here is his ranking/tiering of our top 15 prospects.

View attachment 824230

One guy he has in his honorable mentions that I've never heard anyone discuss before is Sutter Muzzatti.
Oh shit @AintLifeGrand is gonna go batshit when he sees Fink ranked that low and Wood that high

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
The Athletic's Top 75 Drafted Prospects Rankings

Tier 4
31 Matthew Wood
32 Tanner Molendyk

Tier 5
62 Joakim Kemell
75 Phil Tomasino

Tier Honorable Mention
L'Heureux
Svechkov

Top 15 drafted goalie prospects

Tier 1
2 Yaroslav Askarov

For comparisons sake the 2023 list was:

32 Kemell
33 Tomasino

Honorable Mentions: Evangelista, L'Heureux, Parsinnen

Last edited:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
he had an assist to but will not repeat his pt totals last year, which by definition is a regression
Of course he wont. Assist require other players to be able to score goals. You can set others up all day long but if they cant finish the job you get nothing to show for it.

Last year his team had 113G, this year they had 86G for a net loss of 27G year over year (35 games). He improved his individual total by 3 in 1 less game played on an otherwise offensively starved team.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I'm not familiar with NCAA hockey transfer rules. Could Wood transfer to another program if he wanted? I wonder if a program with more talent would be better for his development.

His "regression" only judging by point totals is superficial.

Last season Wood led the team 11 goals 34 points. The next five highest scorers were at 32, 30, 27, 24, 20 points respectively. This year Wood has increased his goal total by 3 to 14. He has 26 points with the next 5 highest scorers having 22, 19, 17, 16, 16. He didn't have much to work with. From my understanding his potential at the pro level is more as a goal scorer than a playmaker so I'm not surprised his assist totals are down since the team he is playing on is one of the worst in Hockey East.

He only turned 19 last month. That means lots of time to still develop.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I'm not familiar with NCAA hockey transfer rules. Could Wood transfer to another program if he wanted? I wonder if a program with more talent would be better for his development.

Last season Wood led the team 11 goals 34 points. The next five highest scorers were at 32, 30, 27, 24, 20 points respectively. This year Wood has increased his goal total by 3 to 14. He has 26 points with the next 5 highest scorers having 22, 19, 17, 16, 16. He didn't have much to work with. From my understanding his potential at the pro level is more as a goal scorer than a playmaker so I'm not surprised his assist totals are down since the team he is playing on is one of the worst in Hockey East.

Goal share
Last year: 11 of 113 = 9.73%
This year: 14 of 86 = 16.28%

Transfer rules are a little convoluted but he should be able to do it if he wants to.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Goal share
Last year: 11 of 113 = 9.73%
This year: 14 of 86 = 16.28%

Transfer rules are a little convoluted but he should be able to do it if he wants to.

He can enter the portal 60 days after the championship I believe, baseball is the only one that is 45 days, because that puts it towards the start of school. However, most coaches no longer want the headache of contesting a transfer so really you can leave anytime after a season is over. I know kids that started in the fall and are already at a different school for baseball.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty

Fing hashtag context.

Am I right?

Southstarpreds

Dec 15, 2023
There was a mention in some media source about it, yes.
His skating reminds me of the Hughes brothers. If he was American , and played on the American National Development Program the hype would of been out of this world . The exposure those players get is part of the program, and gets those guys over hyped .

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Are the stupid Canadian junior rules still in effect where Molendyk will either have to be on the Preds next year or else go back to junior? Or did they waive that for 1st round picks?

At the very least he needs to be in Milwaukee next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00