Prospect Info: Prospect Rating #4 (2023 Version) [edit: vote for Poulin or Puustinen to avoid a runoff poll]

Who do you rank as the Penguins #4 Prospect?

• Andonovski

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Belliveau

• Broz

• Gauthier

• Gruden

• Ilyin

• Jarventie

• Plante

• other (tell me who in your post)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is where it gets interesting. I'm personally split between Poulin and Broz. I know Poulin had a super rough year last year, but he was dealing with a lot of struggles off the ice so I don't think it's fair to write him off because of that. He looked decent in the NHL when he got his shot and he's the most NHL ready prospect in the system.

He apparently looked really good in rookie camp and I'm holding out hope he'll have a really nice bounce back season last year. He was progressing pretty well through his D+1 through his D+3 year, and then he had some mental struggles that really hurt him last year.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Puustinen

.57 ppg first year in WBS, .81 ppg last year. If Murashov hits his 90% range of outcomes, he'll have way more value but I'll take the guy that is closest to potentially playing for the big club. He'll need to have a very good training camp and force the teams hand but I think there actually is a path for him with Guentzel on IR to start the year.

Poulin also a fine option here given his pedigree, but Puusty is the one who has actually produced in games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Giskard

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
This is where it gets interesting. I'm personally split between Poulin and Broz. I know Poulin had a super rough year last year, but he was dealing with a lot of struggles off the ice so I don't think it's fair to write him off because of that. He looked decent in the NHL when he got his shot and he's the most NHL ready prospect in the system.

He apparently looked really good in rookie camp and I'm holding out hope he'll have a really nice bounce back season last year. He was progressing pretty well through his D+1 through his D+3 year, and then he had some mental struggles that really hurt him last year.

To me, Poulin is like any other guy with a chronic injury, except I'm less sure that brain chemistry will resolve itself than torn muscle and broken bones. I know the last we heard is that he was doing good, but as I'm sure many of us have seen or experienced, this shit often returns.

If you could look in a crystal ball and tell me it's all good there for the future, I'd vote him 4th in a heartbeat. I still believe a lot in his talent. But...

... well, don't know how to resolve that.

Also I'm still tempted to just keep voting Murashov.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Murashov, Puustinen, or Broz I think.

Pretty steep drop from the top-3, which aren't very spectacular in their own right. :laugh:

Murashov's got the more impressive statline, but he's playing in like KHL's version of the AHL right? And the AHL is arguably better than the KHL in terms of quality and competition. :laugh: Puustinen seems very boom or bust. Broz seems to have sort of stabilized a bit after a real rough freshman season in college.

No real idea. I do think the Poulin train's done and dusted though. Never really had the margin for error, and his struggles on and off the ice have probably cratered his chances of ever becoming a legit NHLer, let alone an impact NHLer.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Murashov, Puustinen, or Broz I think.

Pretty steep drop from the top-3, which aren't very spectacular in their own right. :laugh:

Murashov's got the more impressive statline, but he's playing in like KHL's version of the AHL right? And the AHL is arguably better than the KHL in terms of quality and competition. :laugh: Puustinen seems very boom or bust. Broz seems to have sort of stabilized a bit after a real rough freshman season in college.

No real idea. I do think the Poulin train's done and dusted though. Never really had the margin for error, and his struggles on and off the ice have probably cratered his chances of ever becoming a legit NHLer, let alone an impact NHLer.

Murashov is in their version of Juniors.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Poulin, some are writing him off too soon

The rest have proven less
How has Poulin proven more than a guy like Puustinen who has already established himself as a legit good top 6 scoring winger in both SM-liiga and the AHL?

The only thing Poulin has over him is where they were drafted. Puustinen has performed better in every other facet you could want.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
How has Poulin proven more than a guy like Puustinen who has already established himself as a legit good top 6 scoring winger in both SM-liiga and the AHL?

The only thing Poulin has over him is where they were drafted. Puustinen has performed better in every other facet you could want.
Pouliot, Poulin, Puustinen. All of our poo players end up being major poo-poo anyway. We need to vote for guys who don’t have poo in their name, like Sergei Murashov.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I changed my vote from Murashov to Poulin. So you know, helping to make that run off more likely.

My rationale is I can see roughly the same ceiling for Poulin - top 6 sidecar - but there's a lot less for Puustinen in the middle ground, and I'm not sure his EV production shows he's that bit more likely to make his ceiling that Poulin.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think it's all kind of a sea of meh past Pick/Yags but Poulin this high DOES kind of baffle me.

It's on the strength of looking pretty good at camp and a few rando NHL games and not much else. Otherwise he's lost a year of development even if I feel bad for him. And after not really being in the position to afford such a thing. Puus likely spins out into nothing but he at least has numbers on his side -- a scorer in liiga and a scorer at the AHL. And hey FWIW his one NHL game yielded good results, too... as did last year's camp IIRC.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think it's all kind of a sea of meh past Pick/Yags but Poulin this high DOES kind of baffle me.

It's on the strength of looking pretty good at camp and a few rando NHL games and not much else. Otherwise he's lost a year of development even if I feel bad for him. And after not really being in the position to afford such a thing. Puus likely spins out into nothing but he at least has numbers on his side -- a scorer in liiga and a scorer at the AHL. And hey FWIW his one NHL game yielded good results, too... as did last year's camp IIRC.

Why?

He’s clearly our best prospect after the three listed.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I um... kind of said why literally right below the part you bolded.

He hasn't done much since he was drafted and hasn't produced at the AHL level while the guy he's going head to head with here has. If we are to take minuscule NHL time and training camp promise as a tiebreaker... well... Puus has that, too.

EDIT: lol "clearly" -- reasonable as usual.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I um... kind of said why literally right below the part you bolded.

He hasn't done much since he was drafted and hasn't produced at the AHL level while the guy he's going head to head with here has. If we are to take minuscule NHL time and training camp promise as a tiebreaker... well... Puus has that, too.

EDIT: lol "clearly" -- reasonable as usual.

Puusy was way older when he came into the AHL than Poulin. Seems odd to judge Poulin comparatively.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

He was outperforming Puustinen in the back half of their rookie AHL seasons too iirc.

Poulin's been up and down with mental health problems and a slow acclimatization to the pro ranks, but I think there's been enough of him being playing good hockey to show a) he has the tools to be a very good pro b) it's not just a fluke. The numbers mostly haven't been there but again, there's been enough fits and spurts I think he can bust on through. He just needs to stay mentally fit.

To compare him with Puustinen - I don't think Puustinen's numbers are high enough that I go "yup, he's got it". DOC went ppg over his AHL seasons and doesn't absolutely definitely has it. I'm honestly kind of a little disappointed in Puustinen's numbers for an offence first guy of his age. And a lot of that is to do with the team not being that good... but if you're an offence first 23 year old guy and the team isn't that good, I'm kind of looking at you. Puustinen is meant to be a playdriver, a creator at that level. I think he's more of an opportunistic scorer. Which you can definitely use, providing the rest of his game keeps him on the ice. Which hasn't been the case for the NHL so far.

Which means both guys are projections to me. Poulin is the more mysterious projection because of his mental health, but there's no question he can play a details heavy game that uses his size. He's probably an NHLer in some form unless his skating says no, which it wasn't doing last year. I don't have that projection for Puustinen. I don't know his burst and IQ make him secure enough off the puck (although he apparently improved a lot there).

And while I'd still put Puustinen ahead of Poulin if I thought his offence projected to be better, I don't. Puustinen had roughly the same EV offence as Jonathan Gruden. Nobody's cooing over his chances to be a guy in the NHL. Puustinen can clearly be a scoring line player if you watch him, but there's improvements to be made... and I think Poulin can do that too.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Meh they'll both be talked about down the road in the same hushed tones as the great Shane Endicott so I can't really be prodded to care overmuch.

Changing my vote back to Tankov. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad