Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Sparks was thrown to the wolves on a team designed to tank that year.

The Leafs were dreadful then
Be honest though, he didn't look like a guy that projected to be anything more than a backup. If he quiets down in the crease I'll change my tune, off to a great start this year.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Be honest though, he didn't look like a guy that projected to be anything more than a backup. If he quiets down in the crease I'll change my tune, off to a great start this year.

Sure, but he was also a still developing (and clearly not ready) prospect. He should have never been given all of those starts to begin with.

Hisbplay has been excellent the past couple years in the AHL, I think he can still turn into an NHLer

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Not defensively they weren't. At best they were average defensively. They did decent offensively, but that's not enough for the NHL anymore when you are one-dimensional and do not light up the score sheet enough.
I'm not going to argue that point because imo it doesn't matter too much. I saw him get beat in everysngle hole when he was up on routine shots. Thats my concern.
If he allowed 10 goals a game with a 0-17-0 record but had a .912 sv% and I would say hes a stud. But he didn't

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Sure, but he was also a still developing (and clearly not ready) prospect. He should have never been given all of those starts to begin with.

Hisbplay has been excellent the past couple years in the AHL, I think he can still turn into an NHLer
I think so too. All I can say is Sparks has a lot going for him that you'd want in an NHL goalie. Good reflexes, very good athleticism, mobility seems fine. I still like Pickard a lot as he has a pretty solid track record in the NHL as a backup goalie, but I see at least back up potential for Sparks.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Not sure if it's been mentioned but Kara will play in the CHL classic series for Russia. We'll get our first good look at the mystery prospect.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

When will the naysayers allow us to be excited about this kid? Don't want to be accused of overhyping.

Those are very impressive numbers lately for a kid his age in the KHL, more impressive is the fact his TOI seems to be really shooting up. Grigorenko is 10th in U24 ppg over there with 12 pts in 21 games (.57), so it's not an easy league to get points.

Obviously can't discount the start of his season, but we know he was coming off a major knee injury, so starting off a little rusty makes sense.

p.s. how many teams are going to be kicking themselves they passed on Eeli Tolvanen??

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
When will the naysayers allow us to be excited about this kid? Don't want to be accused of overhyping.

Those are very impressive numbers lately for a kid his age in the KHL, more impressive is the fact his TOI seems to be really shooting up. Grigorenko is 10th in U24 ppg over there with 12 pts in 21 games (.57), so it's not an easy league to get points.

Obviously can't discount the start of his season, but we know he was coming off a major knee injury, so starting off a little rusty makes sense.

p.s. how many teams are going to be kicking themselves they passed on Eeli Tolvanen??

I was starting to think that they aren't giving him he minutes because he got drafted.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm

Also the team was somewhat a mess at the start of the season. Lines weren't clicking. Things are picking up now.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I think half the naysayers are realists that can't or won't distinguish between could be and will be. I mean it's common knowledge that most prospects will not make it but when people call you out for citing the potential of a prospect and what he could become, it makes no sense to me.
The flipside to that is there are posters that say 100% the prospect will be a (insert NHL status here) and they do need to bring it down a notch.
Back to Korshkov. I was excited for the pick. First time I saw him play was at the WJC and I thought he was the best player for Russia on a shift to shift basis. Had no clue who he was but every time he was on the ice I thought man I love this kids game. If he fills out naturally to be like 210-225 lbs, he will be a beast for us.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/137091767/

Korshkov was 1+2 in 19 games, then the team apparently changed its head coach and since then he is 5+4 in 10 games. I tried watching some of Korshkov's games last year but it's hard to stay interested when you are watching specifically to see one guy play limited minutes. Watching the likes of Kontiola, Kozun, Staffan Kronwall (all ex-Leafs :laugh: and Max Talbot as well) on the PP while Korshkov is benched is pretty frustrating. Glad he is getting ice time now, will make it easier to watch.

I am just glad they did not send Liljegren to play in the SHL.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think half the naysayers are realists that can't or won't distinguish between could be and will be. I mean it's common knowledge that most prospects will not make it but when people call you out for citing the potential of a prospect and what he could become, it makes no sense to me.
The flipside to that is there are posters that say 100% the prospect will be a (insert NHL status here) and they do need to bring it down a notch.
Back to Korshkov. I was excited for the pick. First time I saw him play was at the WJC and I thought he was the best player for Russia on a shift to shift basis. Had no clue who he was but every time he was on the ice I thought man I love this kids game. If he fills out naturally to be like 210-225 lbs, he will be a beast for us.
Well some guys have to make it at some point. Might as well be some of ours. Otherwise there would be nobody in the NHL or you'd just have a team of 1st round picks if rounds 2-7 all bust.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Korshkov is a damn good prospect. Co-lead the Russians in scoring in that tournament with Provorov, in a 6 way tie for 10th in the tournie. The other players?
Fellow 96 born forwards
Kempe (10 points), Schmaltz (5 points), Dvorak (8 points), Milano (7 points).
Someone mentioned Grigorenko's pgg and current standing among U-24 KHL'ers, Korshkov matched that last year as a 20 year old .

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I guess it's just easier for some
Well some guys have to make it at some point. Might as well be some of ours. Otherwise there would be nobody in the NHL or you'd just have a team of 1st round picks if rounds 2-7 all bust.
I guess it's just easier for some people to say a player is going to bust because the odds are in favor of that :dunno:
Pessimisim abounds throughout the world.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Korshkov is a damn good prospect. Co-lead the Russians in scoring in that tournament with Provorov, in a 6 way tie for 10th in the tournie. The other players?
Fellow 96 born forwards
Kempe (10 points), Schmaltz (5 points), Dvorak (8 points), Milano (7 points).
Someone mentioned Grigorenko's pgg and current standing among U-24 KHL'ers, Korshkov matched that last year as a 20 year old .
That's some impressive company!
I personally have been very happy with the pick since day one. I have him pegged for top 6 potential.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
That's some impressive company!
I personally have been very happy with the pick since day one. I have him pegged for top 6 potential.
Him+Kappy make me feel quite alright with the Kessel trade. Decent haul of futures, time will tell what pans out.

Sidenote, anyone get to see many games in the dub? Scott seems to be having a better year statistically since coming back from injury (albeit only a handful of games)

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
EDITED Fridge Watch:
Middleton with the game winner earlier this week against Flint, and 2 assists tonight against London, the second on the OT game winner .Up to 7 points in 11 games.

Higher touted 98 born fridges Stanley and Hague with 12 and 14 points in 15 games respectively, but on the ice for 21 and 23 5v5 goals against to Middleton's 10 (3 of which of have come in the backups 90 minutes of .762 hockey)

Last edited:
Reactions: Barilko14

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Fridge Watch:
Middleton with the game winner earlier this week against Flint, and an assist tonight against London. Up to 6 points in 11 games.

Higher touted 98 born fridges Stanley and Hague with 11 and 12 points in 14 games respectively, but on the ice for 21 and 20 5v5 goals against to Middleton's 10 (3 of which of have come in the backups 90 minutes of .762 hockey)

Hope he keeps it up and earns himself and ELC

We're not exactly flush with guys who bring what he does to the table

Size, defensive ability, mobility, physicality, leadership

Reactions: 4thline

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Igor Ozhiganov's wife is in Toronto. She's visiting the Zaitsev family. Zaitsev's wife just posted an Instagram picture proclaiming how much she loves Toronto.

Ozhiganov is a KHL defenceman that is reportedly getting contract offers from NHL teams. A lot of speculation that he and Toronto have a lot of interest in one another.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Hope he keeps it up and earns himself and ELC

We're not exactly flush with guys who bring what he does to the table

Size, defensive ability, mobility, physicality, leadership

I'm allowing myself the tiniest glimmer of hope for a WJC camp invite, definitely justifiable depending on the size of roster they bring. Hell if staff are purists in a meritocracy he'd have a shot to fill the 3rd pair LH/ 7D PK role. A lot of offensive firepower down that left side- Clague, Cholowski, Bean, Girard. I give all those guys PP and offensive EV time over Stanley and Hague, and Middleton is better than either defensively.

Tiny glimmer. 50% realistic hope, 50% Friday night beers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad