Prospect and Marlies Thread: 2017 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

^^^ Sweet, nice to see him getting a couple of points to on what is a pretty brutal team this year, if he can show improved puck skills this year he becomes very interesting

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
^^^ Sweet, nice to see him getting a couple of points to on what is a pretty brutal team this year, if he can show improved puck skills this year he becomes very interesting
Also there has to be something there for him to get an invite to play in the series.

MatthewNylander

Oct 17, 2017
Very good read. The most impressive part to me, is there haven't been many misses. The guys they identify as quickly as any other organization, and really pursue, all seem to have at least NHL upside. Still early for a lot of them, but all of them seem like they'll be NHLers.

The agents talking about how great of organization they are now, also is pretty encouraging.

Between the draw of playing with an exciting young team, the fact the Marlies are just down the road, and the mgmt team we have in place, I expect the Leafs to be great at recruiting top European talent for the foreseeable future.
If only we had drafted Ritchie instead of Nylander .....

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Ya I like him. Still not sure if he will top out as a career ahl player or make the jump.

His puck skills developing will decide that one way or another

I hope he does, he could be our own drafted and developed Manson type

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
His puck skills developing will decide that one way or another

I hope he does, he could be our own drafted and developed Manson type
We have thrown a lot of picks at big D with shut down skills. Hopefully we strike paydirt on one so why not him?
It will be interesting to see him play pro. 1st year with the Marlies will really tell a lot.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We have thrown a lot of picks at big D with shut down skills. Hopefully we strike paydirt on one so why not him?
It will be interesting to see him play pro. 1st year with the Marlies will really tell a lot.

Yeah, the good thing is the Marlies are a good deep team, the more skill he plays and develops with the better, it can only help his puck skills
Everything else is there

He's definitely not getting that with the Spirit right now

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
Rp5mJ

I know, its not real life, but thought I'd share this with you :) Let's hope this translates to this season :D

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Will admit didnt really pay any attention to Middleton.
Just watched that rookie tourny highlight clip and he certainly has NHL upside. His skating and agility actually suprised me for a guy that size. Looks like he has a good first pass and makes life hard for the opposing team (clearing front of net, strong along the boards, will block shots, PK monster and can fight).

Middleton and Rasanen are exciting prospects to follow because they can make massive gains in short periods of time.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Why hasn't dzierkals played any games? Injuries or just a bench player on the Marlies?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Good to hear these things about Middleton ... Especially after people being baffled after he was drafted :laugh:
I know I was. Same with Gordeev. Not on the same level as Korshkov though. Hunter knows what he's doing but he loves these out of left field picks.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm still not a fan of Middleton at all. We'll see how he does this year though.

Gordeev has been pretty solid for Flint. Him and Mattinen are their top scoring defenders.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The Middleton pick was neither baffling nor out of left field. Untrendy and against this boards groupthink at the time sure.
He was drafted at 101
He was ranked 83 by Hockey Prospect, 91 by ISS, 71 by CSS (North American Skaters)
Played in the U17's
Invited to U18 camp
Named OHL 2nd all rookie team despite being only the 9th highest scoring d-man.

Also his situation in Saginaw cannot be compared to that of the other two towers in Flint. Saginaw is a brutally young team, their top scorer would be 8th on the Firebirds, and while neither is exactly a prospect powerhouse having top 4 forwards of 2 PPG OA's + a ppg 98 born 3rd rounder with AHL experience + projected 2000 1st rounder is sliiiightly different than 1 x 99 undrafted, 1 x 99 7th rounder, 2 x 2000 draft eligibles (one 4th round, one unranked)

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

its funny how much of a AINEC that became
Nylander= 81 points 110 games/0.73PPG
Ritchie= 32 points in 113 games/0.28PPG

Zach hyman= 39points in 105 games/0.37PPG (I realize he is older but the shit he gets for lack of offence look at it compared to Ritchie!)

I don't care how good your intangibles are they don't make up that gap.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'm still not a fan of Middleton at all. We'll see how he does this year though.

Gordeev has been pretty solid for Flint. Him and Mattinen are their top scoring defenders.

middelton is the Windsor C isn't he. Middelton also has 7 point in 4 games while gordeev has 5 points in 9 games and mattinen has 7 points in 9 games

edit: sorry I mean Saginaw not Windsor
2nd edit: Middelton has 2 points I read his PIMs as points haha my bad sorry

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Mattinen was the baffling one.

I’m fine with Middleton, Greenway and Gordeev picks.

As someone who had lived in London and saw a lot of Knights games, it allowed me to pump up the Dvorak and Pu’s of the world.

But Mattinen? It was a waste of a pick. He hardly cracked the Knights lineup.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Mattinen was the baffling one.

I’m fine with Middleton, Greenway and Gordeev picks.

As someone who had lived in London and saw a lot of Knights games, it allowed me to pump up the Dvorak and Pu’s of the world.

But Mattinen? It was a waste of a pick. He hardly cracked the Knights lineup.

Mattinen showed some interesting potential despite not playing a lot. The Knights had the deepest team in the entire league at the time. Hunter knew him very well and I think he had a feeling that he was definitely a player that could rocket up a depth chart because of his overall skillset. As a 6th round pick, it's hard to really think it was baffling.

I read that he's been VERY impressive with Flint now that he's actually receiving minutes. Of course his pro potential is still questionable, like most mid/late round picks, but at least he's producing.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I read that he's been VERY impressive with Flint now that he's actually receiving minutes. Of course his pro potential is still questionable, like most mid/late round picks, but at least he's producing.

And while he's producing as the top dog on a decent team he's been on the ice for 12 of their 21 5v5 goals against over 9 games. Respectable, but kind of meh.

Middleton since his return from injury to a cellar dweller has been on the ice for 3 of 13 5v5 goals against over 4 games. That's mind-boggling shut-down play for a guy tasked to do the heavy lifting on a team who's best forwards are 2nd/3rd liners, albeit only 4 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad